feeling nauseous during and after cardio

Options
So my PT tells me that it's lactic acid being released by my muscles and I shouldn't worry. So I'm not "worried", but it's becoming a very frustrating issue (one I didn't use to deal with, btw). :explode: I get about 1.5 miles into my run, and suddenly I feel like I'm going to lose my dinner, except I hadn't eaten yet. This keeps happening and it's making my workouts such a nuisance (when two weeks ago I was happy to go whole-hog for 40 minutes:sad: ).

If anyone has experienced similar stuff, or you have some advice from general knowledge, I'm all ears. My 5k time went up 2 minutes today because I had to keep walking off the dizziness. :noway: :frown: :explode:

Replies

• pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    So my PT tells me that it's lactic acid being released by my muscles and I shouldn't worry. So I'm not "worried", but it's becoming a very frustrating issue (one I didn't use to deal with, btw). :explode: I get about 1.5 miles into my run, and suddenly I feel like I'm going to lose my dinner, except I hadn't eaten yet. This keeps happening and it's making my workouts such a nuisance (when two weeks ago I was happy to go whole-hog for 40 minutes:sad: ).

If anyone has experienced similar stuff, or you have some advice from general knowledge, I'm all ears. My 5k time went up 2 minutes today because I had to keep walking off the dizziness. :noway: :frown: :explode:
  • ash101
    ash101 Posts: 2
    Options
    This happens to me too, though I notice it's worse when it's around my time of the month. I've discovered that the more water I drink, the less nauseous I am. I have no idea why this happens, but I agree it's super irritating.

At least you know you're not alone :)
  • deamarie
    deamarie Posts: 90
    Options
    Both nausea and dizziness are warning signs by the body. Even though you feel you should be able to do more, your body is telling you something. As a group fitness instructor, I am trained to never encourage someone to push through either one of those symptoms. I would consult a doctor. Is there a chance you could be pregnant? Blood pressure issues?
  • mdcroft
    mdcroft Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I had a really hard time with this, and I found that part of the problem was what and when I ate before the workout. A small bowl of cereal for breakfast before my morning workout has proven to be the best for me, but I think probably everyone is different. Also, I have to eat at least an hour before my workout. Again, everyone is different, so maybe try tweaking these things if you haven't yet.

Also, I don't know how long you've been working out but it seemed like once my body got more used to me working out (6-9 months maybe), it got much better. A really intense workout still brings on the nausea though.
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I had a co-worker who had an issue with this. She did get checked out by a doctor as per her pt advice and once she was cleared she was told to increase her protein before the workout. So know she has a protien shake 45 min before she hits the gym and then after her workout she eats a banana. This has helped her alot.
  • NavyFMFCorpsman
    Options
    Ok Pixiestick I'm going to try to take a stab at this. Now I don't claim to be a PT or a doctor persay, but I do have alot of insight into these types of things since I am a health care provider for US Marines. Every once and awhile I have Marines complain about the same type of symptoms. Upset stomach, nausea, and others that go beyond what you are experiencing. Now alot of it can play with what you ate for dinner the night before and how soon before you go to bed. So if you feel it isn't that, then if you are pt'ing in the morning with no food on the stomach it can be straight-up stomach acid that has built up over the night and you need to snack on something light, say a few crackers, by few I mean 5-6 wheat thins or triscuits. If you are pushing yourself really hard cardio wise, if your not doing this already, be sure to mix 1/3 gatorade G2(electrolytes with very little sugar) with 2/3 water. This way you have a base to fight against built up acid in the stomach. If these do not help calm down your stomach then I would consult a doctor to do a upper GI review to make sure you dont have any stomach ulcers. Hope this helps you out.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    thanks all. I know that I am not pregnant, but I'll look into the eating thing. And I think I might be dehydrated as well--I'll try the gatorade:water (1:2) thing as well.