Measuring Dry Pasta?

Options
Okay, I know what a pasta serving is supposed to look like when it is cooked. But how do I measure it at home, before the noodles get cooked? I'd like to be able to make exactly 2.5 servings (me, hubby, and toddler), so no leftovers or chances to overindulge. But I have no clue how to figure out much spaghetti noodles or rotini noodles dry = 1 serving cooked (since they all change shape a bit and absorb water).

Any tips? Thanks!

Replies

• AmyLou9903
    Options
    Okay, I know what a pasta serving is supposed to look like when it is cooked. But how do I measure it at home, before the noodles get cooked? I'd like to be able to make exactly 2.5 servings (me, hubby, and toddler), so no leftovers or chances to overindulge. But I have no clue how to figure out much spaghetti noodles or rotini noodles dry = 1 serving cooked (since they all change shape a bit and absorb water).

Any tips? Thanks!
  • Hermit4Hire
    Hermit4Hire Posts: 197
    Options
    they make a noodle measuring device for spaghetti and other long noodles. It's a large rectangle with round holes in it. Very cheap.
  • Paeonia
    Paeonia Posts: 161
    Options
    You should invest in a digital food scale that measures in ounces.
  • quinnybear
    quinnybear Posts: 243
    Options
    if you have a scale, weigh it out. most nutrition labels on pasta are measured in ounces of dry pasta (2 oz= 1 serving)
  • kenpachi
    kenpachi Posts: 7
    Options
    +1 on the digital food scale. The only way to go if counting calories. Got mine from drugstore.com for under $25.00. No tax and free ship.
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    Small to medium pasta shapes 8 oz. uncooked = 4 cups cooked
    Long pasta shapes 8 oz. uncooked or 1 1/2 inch diameter bunch = 4 cups cooked
    Egg Noodles 8 oz. uncooked = 2 1/2 cups cooked

*edit*
    so if you do the math 2.5 cups of cooked rotini (small to medium shaped pasta) is 5oz dry.
    5 oz of dry pasta is a little under 2 cups (1.87 cups to be exact).

5 oz of dry spaghetti (long pasta shape) is just under an inch diameter bunch (.93 inches to be exact).