Diet help!! Too much?

Options
Is it bad to have too much protein and//or fiber?? I've gone over both days that I've tracked (I just started yesterday)

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    no
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    no way! I consider it a success when I go over in protein and fiber... lol I'm only halfway through my day and have gone over in my fiber by 15 grams!
  • dsmonteith
    Options
    Not bad at all. Your body needs protein to recover from exercise. Protein is the building block of muscle so it helps build the muscle back stronger that you break down during exercise. Fiber is good because it slows digestion which means less chance of the fat and carbs you eat sticking to your body :)
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Not at all just try not to go over in Fat
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Why??? Because fat makes you fat? :ohwell:
  • monbeaucher
    monbeaucher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Okay good! I feel a little better :laugh:
  • techigirl78
    techigirl78 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You can actually go over on both, but you would need to eat a ton of it to go over.

Fat is bad as it cannot convert into anything else. Protein can convert to carbs, then fat. Carbs can convert to fat. Fat can convert to fat, that is it.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Fat is bad as it cannot convert into anything else. Protein can convert to carbs, then fat. Carbs can convert to fat. Fat can convert to fat, that is it.
    :noway: oh geez, where do I even start with a comment like this?!?

Please, PLEASE go read something and educate yourself on the roles of macronutrients within the body. This sounds like a quote from something published in 1980. :ohwell:
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    The order of importance.

1. Protein
    2. Fats
    3. Carbs

The overcomsumption of calories via all three (P,C,F) makes you gain weight.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    You can actually go over on both, but you would need to eat a ton of it to go over.

Please stop.
  • monbeaucher
    Options
    The order of importance.

1. Protein
    2. Fats
    3. Carbs

So you're saying I shouldn't go over in protein?
  • AntWrig
    Options
    The order of importance.

1. Protein
    2. Fats
    3. Carbs

It's perfectly fine. I mean don't consume 300g when you weigh like 120lb or something, but a little bounce is okay.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that the protein recommendation for this site is on the low side. I change my settings.
  • monbeaucher
    Options
    The order of importance.

1. Protein
    2. Fats
    3. Carbs

It's perfectly fine. I mean don't consume 300g when you weigh like 120lb or something, but a little bounce is okay.

Ah, gotcha. Yesterday I went over my 24g, today I went over by 39g. :|
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I was always going over too... and then I got ticked off at always "seeing red" when it is NOT unhealthy to eat more than the default setting of 15% calories from protein. It took me adjusting protein to 35% calories to get a realistic number for my goals... 175 grams of protein per day. One gram per pound of my goal weight. Once I changed it, I certainly don't always hit it but I at least don't go over anymore :)

my home > goals > change goals > custom will let you change your macro %'s to something more realistic for your eating habits.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Both are wonderful! Fiber is awesome because your body can't digest it. It has been linked as a main correlation to those that live into their 100s...

as for protein it makes you feel full and feeds your muscles. I work out a lot, and want to gain muscle while losing fat so I aim for 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat diet. I try to get at least 100 grams of protein a day :) Lean protein is low in calories tooo!!!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

You need to get your facts straight and read some articles. Fat is wonderful for you and better than carbs because it doesn't produce an insulin response. While SATURATED fat is bad in high doses (think animal fat like from steak or bacon) the UNSATURATED kinds (poly, mono; think plant fats like nuts and oils) are WONDERFUL for your heart and healthy for your body.
  • Grizzelda1st
    Options
    Hi! I don't want to step on toes here, but you CAN get too much fiber. Realistically, you should aim for 20 to 35 grams of fiber a day. The main problem with getting too much fiber suddenly is you can cause a blockage in your digestive track. It's a dangerous condition that can happen when you SUDDENLY increase your fiber intake. If you usually only eat 15 grams, you should increase your intake by just a few grams at a time so your body can adjust. Also, if you habitually eat too much fiber, your body will get used to that and if you decrease you should lessen by a few grams at a time. I hope this is helpful.
  • monbeaucher
    Options
    Hi! I don't want to step on toes here, but you CAN get too much fiber. Realistically, you should aim for 20 to 35 grams of fiber a day. The main problem with getting too much fiber suddenly is you can cause a blockage in your digestive track. It's a dangerous condition that can happen when you SUDDENLY increase your fiber intake. If you usually only eat 15 grams, you should increase your intake by just a few grams at a time so your body can adjust. Also, if you habitually eat too much fiber, your body will get used to that and if you decrease you should lessen by a few grams at a time. I hope this is helpful.

Well I don't think I'm suddenly increasing it, just now realizing that I have a lot of it in the normal foods I eat :smile:
  • polegirl23
    polegirl23 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same as I'm always over in protein in my diary (I take protein shakes aswell!). Glad to see that the general response is not too worry about it too much! :)