Dealing with Hypothyroidism

Options
Hi!

So, I've been doing MFP since October 2010, and overall it's been good. I'm 5'7" and my goal weight is 135. Last summer I had gotten to 12 pounds lost, with plenty of time to get off the last three before my wedding this May. I felt like I had my eating, exercise, and everything else all worked out.

Then, seemingly for no reason, I gained back four pounds. No matter what changes I made, they just wouldn't move. I added pilates and bikram yoga. I ran more. I walked everywhere (was living in NYC at the time). I ate healthily. Nothing. No give. When the holidays came, instead of gaining a couple of pounds from the week of family that I would easily lose again, I gained another four pounds that I've barely been able to dent in more than a month. I was almost cripplingly tired all the time, and felt worse and worse.

Last week, I was finally diagnosed with hypothyroidism. So in a way, everything's clicked in to place and a feel a little better about it. Turns out watching my calories, running, and lifting weights was all to keep me from just inflating beyond all reason (when my doctor looked at my blood levels he said, "Well God damn." My hypothyroidism is pretty severe). I'm hopeful that as I continue taking my meds, I'll be able to lose weight again (and stay awake through the day, grow my hair back to normal thickness, grow finger nails again, and all those other good things). But you have to start on a low dosage and build up. Has anyone else had similar experiences, and if so could you tell me when I can expect progress? It's been almost a week, and I'm starting to have better energy during the day. Does that mean the weight will start to move a bit more easily soon, or should I expect to have to wait six weeks until my dosage is increased? My wedding dress fitting is in two weeks, and I've been working for more than a year to try to look my absolute best for my wedding and honeymoon. Suddenly I feel helpless. It's also hard to stay motivated to keep my eating super clean when I know my metabolism has practically stopped.

Can anyone give me hope? Should I lower my expectations? I know I can't lose the full 11 pounds in two weeks - but in the next month? By May? I know it won't be easy, but it would be nice if someone who's dealt with this problem could let me know it's possible.

Replies

• DeenieWeenie
    DeenieWeenie Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm not hypo, but I have Graves disease and I am hyperthyroid with an over weight problem, when I was 17 I was 115 pounds, not always fat or over weight! (I went untreated for 5 years, not knowing what was wrong!)I told my dr I'm the fattest hyperthyroid person I know! He just laughs. lol.. It took me a whole year to become 'normal' while on my anti thyroid medication, I have lost 50 pounds and gain back 10 pounds, lose 10 pounds, gain 10. It's went like this for a year. Good luck on your journey!

*edited to add* I just seen my endocrinologist yesterday and he took me off my medicine that controls my thyroid! I am hoping to stay in remission for a while! I i will know if I'm still in remission in a few days!
  • jmp33
    jmp33 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroid about 8 years ago. The doctor played around with my meds trying to find something that worked. I ballooned as I had just had back surgery and was inactive for a long period of time. I now am on a high dose of synthroid and am regulated. I have lost 20.5 lbs since September. Just watch your body for signs that your meds aren't working. If you get tired, cold all the time.. Get your levels checked. It is definitely possible to do this!
  • cnimngrl
    Options
    I have had hypothyroidism for years and steadily have gained weight because of it and some other reasons. I've always been a "convenience" eater stopping at Mcdonalds on the way to work instead of fixing something at home. I quit this for sure though! My doc told me I was pre-diabetic. I've had two mothers die at age 53 and 54 from diabetes and my dad is in a nursing home with both legs lost to the disease. I'm not going out that way. So I've been researching weight loss and hypothyroidism and found this awesome article I thought I'd share with everyone: http://the-f-word.org/blog/?p=520&akst_action=share-this It has 3 reasons why it's harder to lose weight for us that I did not realise before. I have also discovered that we should eat approximately 200 hundred fewer calories than what any normal person would have to eat on a diet. For example, if a normal person goes on a diet wanting to lose 2lbs a week and say that cal limit was 1500 cals, we would have to go for 1300 cals instead. Blah. HOWEVER, we have to carefully gaurd against starvation mode ALSO because our bodies will very quickly adjust our metabolisms (or lack thereof) to compensate for this low cal diet. This is a pain in the neck. SO, what I've been doing to battle this is changing my calorie limit every few days. My body doesn't know what to do then! My weight loss is slow going, but I'm NOT regaining ANY weight. It's taken me 35 days to lose 8 lbs. And that dang scale definitely gets stuck at the same weight here and there. It's highly frustrating. But then I stop and think, "I'm not putting any weight back on" and it gets all better. So even if it takes me twice as long as the average bear to lose the weight I want to lose, it's still happening. I still eat McDonalds or some other fast food once or maybe even twice a week. But not every day anymore. I have substituted sugar for sugar free. I drink plenty of water. I find substitutes for anything I can possibly sub. Its HARD. But I'm doing it.
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've got subclinical hypothyroidism, which I figured out for myself seeing as the T4 levels came back normal at every annual checkup and my family doctor (who's not an endocrinologist and can't really be blamed) took this as all being well in the land of the thyroid. Except that I look deplorably mangy round the head, have habitually icy hands and inexplicable muscle pain, and spent a year *gaining* weight on 1200 kcal a day... :noway:

Started yet another diet after Christmas (the consequences of eating like a normal human being were dire) and was headed for yet another failure--i.e. weight gain where I couldn't possibly have gained--when I finally put it together. I'm now taking iodine and L-Thyrosine supplements, and lo and behold! The weight started coming off. Slowly, but it's coming. Basically I've accepted the fact that I will have to work twice as hard and take twice as long as someone with a normal thyroid, but it *is* possible to lose. And that's the main thing :happy:
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimotos disease and was diagnosed 15 years ago. This is managed with 200mcg of Thyroxine daily. Yes, I have to be more careful as I gain weight a little easier than most, but I refuse to use it as any excuse. I train hard and eat right (most of the time) and have managed to stay within a normal weight range for my height for the last 15 years. The only time I was overweight was when I gained 30kg during both my pregnancies.

Don't use it as an excuse. I get tired of people saying that they can't lose or maintain weight because of thyroid issues because this is not true. Be honest, eat right and train well and you will be just like everyone else mostly.

I am sure this will be an unpopular response but it is the simple truth.

Donna

PS Add me as a friend if you would like.
  • bacl98
    bacl98 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think it's unfair for you to say that. As you have read from the earlier posts - these peole are eating right, are training and are doing the correct steps. It takes a while for the meds to kick in and for the doctors to figure out the correct dosage.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Yikes, good luck with hypo. Takes a LONG time to get it under control. I had it for over 4 years before they even realized. Almost 5 years ago now, I had blood work and my levels were off, the doc who ordered the lab work never told my PCP, and I guess she never knew anything about it. It wasn't until about a year ago when I went in to demand they find out what's going on with me, not losing weight despite my efforts, the fatigue, weight gain... more blood work, severely hypo. Been on meds for a year and still hypo. Starting to lose faith in the whole weight loss and ever being regulated as far as my thyroid goes. It's a tough road, dealing with any thyroid issue.
  • sarad777
    sarad777 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with similar issues. The medication is hard to figure out. I am not overweight but did see the challenge in even taking a couple pounds off. Keep at it. It will work out in the end.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimotos disease and was diagnosed 15 years ago. This is managed with 200mcg of Thyroxine daily. Yes, I have to be more careful as I gain weight a little easier than most, but I refuse to use it as any excuse. I train hard and eat right (most of the time) and have managed to stay within a normal weight range for my height for the last 15 years. The only time I was overweight was when I gained 30kg during both my pregnancies.

Don't use it as an excuse. I get tired of people saying that they can't lose or maintain weight because of thyroid issues because this is not true. Be honest, eat right and train well and you will be just like everyone else mostly.

I am sure this will be an unpopular response but it is the simple truth.

Donna

PS Add me as a friend if you would like.

Thank you for adding this. Unless you get past the excuse stage there will always be a reason why you can't lose.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I have had an underactive thyroid for over 10 years, and evidently I was really lucky, because it didn't seem to take too much to get my medication (generic Synthroid) regulated. I went for blood work every three months for the first year, but now have it checked only yearly. I think they only had to adjust the dosage once or twice in those 10 years.

I lost ALL of the weight I lost four years AFTER my diagnosis. Did it make it more difficult? I don't really know. But I do know that it is possible to lose significant amounts of weight even if you have an underactive thyroid.

I've gained some back.....people tell me I had lost too much weight when I was at my lowest. Would I like to lose some of what I've gained back? Sure. Am I stressing about it? No, as I am still at a healthy weight. Will I blame my thyroid if I can't lose it? Absolutely NOT! I know I am not eating as well as I was during the time I lost the weight. I just need to get back at it more seriously.

Kaye
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I am hypo and take a combo of t3 and t4 meds. I have a hard time losing, even though it is well controlled. You will have to play around to find what right for you. I have to go pretty moderate carb and lower cal than most people my height and weight. I'm still learning though. Supplements can help as well. I take a lot (also have psoriasis) and find they make a big difference in how I feel...also in my hair,skin,and nails. You will get back on track, but give yourself some time! It's ok. Your wedding will be perfect no matter what.

Vitamin d is very important. I take 4000iu + per day. My dr checks me every year and I was still slightly low. Most people are deficient. Yes, stay away from soy and don't take calcium supps or eat foods with calcium within 2 hrs after you take your med.

After reading some of the other responses I have to add that it is a challenge. Yes, it is not an excuse, but it definitely makes losing weight more challenging. It can be very frustrating to see people losing weight while eating junk, while you have to be very strict in order to lose a little bit. I workout 6-7 days per week doing weights, circuit training, and lots of different types of cardio, and keep my cals to about 1700. I gained at 2000, which was my tdee - 20%. Don't let it get you down. You don't sound like you are trying to use it as an excuse...just frustrated and unsure of what to expect. It will be a learning process, but you will figure it out!
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    For everyone on thyroid medication: Do not consume soy. Soy messes with thyroid medication.
  • nicosland
    nicosland Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've been hypo since I was about 10 and get blood work done once a year to check my levels. Every couple of years my dose needs to be changed, sometimes up, sometimes down. When I had my yearly blood work done in April of this year it was found that my dose was too low (this was while I had been trying to lose weight) so ever since then I've been getting blood work every month or so and readjusting my meds. With the last set of blood work I think they've finally got me on the right dose but I have to get more work done in a couple of weeks just to make sure.

My doctor has told me that it takes about a month for it to get working in your system which is why I usually have to wait that long after my dose is changed to get my blood work done. Since it's been corrected this round though I do have more energy. This past spring before my dose was upped, I would want to nap every day after supper.

Having said all of that when my dose is the correct amount I have been able to lose weight (I lost 80 pounds many years ago and then gained it back through a bad lifestyle and poor food choices). This time I'm hopefully going to permanently revamp my lifestyle to be more active and to make healthy food decisions.

I do know of people though who eat very healthy, exercise regularly and just can't seem to shed a pound. So I hope that doesn't happen with me, as that would be so discouraging :(
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I started in Jan 2010 and have lost a little over 30lbs. I HAVE to stay on track w/ eating and exercising because if I don't I will start gaining. When I go on vacation or have family over, I'll have a week where I'm not working out as much but still trying to stay under my calories and I'll gain 2-5lbs in that week. So it's hard, very hard, but it can happen.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroid and my doctor gives me a bioidentical thyroid and we adjust the amount each year as needed. I also tend to get adrenal fatigue which many people actually do and don't know it (all the caffeine and sugar consumption).

My experience with it is that it's definitely better to work with a doctor to get this under control. I prefer a natureopathic MD. But once you get these types of issues under control there it is not a magic pill. I found I still had to eat less and that a calorie deficit was needed to lose the fat. It's hard. There is no way around it. There is no magic pill. When you are very over weight your body can handle a deeper calorie deficit (if you don't have too much stress and/or emotional eating issues) and as you get leaner (looks like you are more in this category even now) then the calorie deficit needs to be a little more shallow and will require even more patience (as if you didn't need patience in the previous stage!).

The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in
    men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

-Brad Pilon and John Barban (from The Reverse Taper Diet in The Adonis Index and Venus Index manuals)
  • melaure
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with Hypothyroidism in May. I grew up with a mother whose thyroid was nonfunctional, and a younger sister who was diagnosed when she was around 7 years old. I guess I've always expected it to hit me one day (I used to think it just skipped me!) so I wasn't surprised when the doc called with my blood test results. I am struggling hard with my weight while trying to manage my thyroid. I am really grateful to the woman who posted this thread because I learned a lot from the replies. I honestly did not realize how important it is for someone who is hypothyroid to watch their diet and exercise so closely. I didn't know that I shouldn't eat soy (oh no! how shall I ever eat sushi again?!) and I didn't even THINK about the fact that calcium is in so many things that I eat in the morning after taking my pill.

Thanks for all of the great advice everyone :)

-Corey