Protein advice-Ladies

Options
Hi I have recently been trying to train as much as possible and am looking at starting to take protein shakes to help with toning my muscles can any1 recommend a good protein shake? I have been looking at Myprotein.com and they look reasonably priced however there's so many to choose from? Iv always associated protein shakes with men in the gym so ladies have you used Myprotein? And can you recommend a good shake?

Thank you :)

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I do an Eas vanilla shake mixed with blueberries, ice and half a cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk for 170 calories and 23 grams of protein. Its cheap, got a huge bag at BJs for about 16 bucks.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes will not "tone" your muscles....lifting heavy will. Use protein to supplement your diet when you can't get enough from real food. You should be getting at least 1g per pound of lean body mass per day.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes will not "tone" your muscles....lifting heavy will. Use protein to supplement your diet when you can't get enough from real food. You should be getting at least 1g per pound of lean body mass per day.

This. ^^

I like TrueProtein because it's totally customizable.
  • staceyb2003
    staceyb2003 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I've been using EAS chocolate whey (at Walmart) 23g of protein with low carb slim fast shake 20g of protein. That is 43g of protein deliciousness, well at least I think so. It's quite a bit of calories but on my lifting days I'm supposed to eat 300 more calories and this will do it.
  • tmassy
    tmassy Posts: 21
    Options
    Shakeology by Beach Body is amazing. All of your essential nutrients and the chocolate tastes amazing. Mix with unsweetened almond milk and a tablespoon of natural peanut butter and you will not be disappointed.

On the bad side, it's expensive. Between $82 & $119 depending on who you purchase from.
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    What if you're trying to build more muscle? Shouldn't you eat even more protein? Not necessarily. There's evidence that bodybuilders, much like exercisers or athletes, do require more protein but that any more than double the RDA won't necessarily help you build more muscle. In one study, experts studied three groups of weight lifters: A low protein group (0.86 g/kg), a moderate protein group (1.40 g/kg) and a high protein group (2.40 g/kg) and found that, "There were no effects of varying protein intake on indexes of lean body mass."

In essence, the more you exercise, the greater your protein needs will be. However, taking it too far, for example more than doubling your protein intake, won't necessarily help you build more muscle.

Got this off of a website..
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I stay away from soy for the most part. Don't like the taste and read too much about consuming it in great quantities.

My favorites are EAS CarbAdvantage, Premier Nutrition and Wonderslim. The first two are available at Sam's Club and Costco. The last is online ordering only -- I only get these because it has a bunch of different flavors (that are all quite tasty) and certain flavors are under 100 mg of sodium.

If you are looking for high protein go for the Premier Nutrition as it has 30 grams per serving and is the best tasting protein shake I have ever tried. :-)
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Hi I have recently been trying to train as much as possible and am looking at starting to take protein shakes to help with toning my muscles can any1 recommend a good protein shake?
    I recommend ordinary high protein "real food".

It's an excellent source of protein and more than adequate to provide for your body's needs. It's lifting heavy that's going to help with "toning" your muscles, not supplements.

Though, admittedly real food doesn't often taste of chocolate. :bigsmile:
  • princessjarvis
    Options
    Hiyaaa.

I use My Protein Impacy Diet Whey, Its 32g protein and 8g Carbs 4g fat....the choclate mint flavour is LUSH!!

I have had great sucess from using it to fill in the gaps where I cant get enough source protein into my diet. xx
  • emberin
    emberin Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I like the whey stuff I get at Walmart. While I know that real protein is better, I'm a reformed vegetarian and can't stomach much meat. And yes, you can get protein from other foods like beans and legumes and nuts, but it is still difficult to hit my protein goals and not blow my calories out of the water. So the shake helps. I mix it with unsweetened almond milk and add a touch of sugar free Quick for my childish side.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Hi I have recently been trying to train as much as possible and am looking at starting to take protein shakes to help with toning my muscles can any1 recommend a good protein shake?
    I recommend ordinary high protein "real food".

It's an excellent source of protein and more than adequate to provide for your body's needs. It's lifting heavy that's going to help with "toning" your muscles, not supplements.

Though, admittedly real food doesn't often taste of chocolate. :bigsmile:

Technically I agree but I'm starting to really look forward to my strawberry shake each day. It reminds me of the meal replacements I used to have between meals as a child when I was desperate to put on weight. Oh, the irony....
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

This. Only I don't agree about the 1g per lb, as it isn't borne out by any health organisation's recommendations. In the UK and Australia it is 0.6g per 1 kg of body weight.

But yes, protein won't do anything to your muscles on it's own. It's exercise and strength training that does that.
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I am seeing a private Nutritionist and I asked her to look into one for me that does't have all the crap in it. I take it after a work out as sometimes, it can be 1-2hrs before I can have a meal so it's for muscle recover, however I have had it for breakfast once and it did fill me up!

It's called Solgar Whey To Go - Natural Chocolate and it's quite nice!!! For a large tub it's around £42 and that's about 32/34 servings!

On Amazon, you can get a starter pack with 7 sachets, a shaker bottle and a recipe book containing three flavours. Worth buying to see if you like it for £12!

Hope that helps?