my calves got huge! :(

Options
I naturally have really skinny calves, and I love the fact they're so skinny very much.

But, 2 months ago I started running on treadmill every day for half an hour/ an hour, and doing a lot of other cardio too, all on the ball of my foot. I've noticed my calves became HUGE as I developed muscles. I really hate the way they look now, is there a way to make them skinny again? Like, if I stop running and walking on ball of my foot, will they go back to what they looked like before I started exercising? If so, how long will it take them to go back?

Thank you very much!

Replies

• pattycake44
    pattycake44 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Exercise the rest so you're proportionate?
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Join the club, all I can say is throw out all your knee high boots :(
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    What a odd complaint
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Larger calves are sexy....just my opinion though.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Exercise tends to have that effect. Besides, muscular calves are sexy!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Erm, I have nothing useful to say here. I really like my strong, muscular calves, lol.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Your definition of "huge" might be different than others.

Perhaps they're larger than they were but running does develop those muscles and that is usually a desirable effect. Perhaps you'll grow to like it. At least give it a chance.

Either that or stop running and do other types of exercises that won't increase those muscles as much.

Not sure but perhaps if you stop running and developing those muscles, they will return to their original size.
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My calves are also somewhat out of proportion because there's muscle in there. It's just sort of the way it is. There's definitely nothing wrong with having muscle!
    But if the height and weight on your profile are accurate, then I don't think the boots will be a problem.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    How many inches were they before and how many inches after? Do you have before and after pics?
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    What do you consider huge? I'm looking at your profile pic, and you list your ht at 5'11" and wt at 126 lbs.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    <-- Bigger than these?
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Geeze - building muscle... what a terrible problem to have.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I :heart: my big legs .. sorry you do not .. Sometimes I wish I could have slim sexy legs but I appreciate the hard work it takes for the legs I've got now.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Umm...I'm sorry that you really ARE gaining muscle?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    I naturally have really skinny calves, and I love the fact they're so skinny very much.

But, 2 months ago I started running on treadmill every day for half an hour/ an hour, and doing a lot of other cardio too, all on the ball of my foot. I've noticed my calves became HUGE as I developed muscles. I really hate the way they look now, is there a way to make them skinny again? Like, if I stop running and walking on ball of my foot, will they go back to what they looked like before I started exercising? If so, how long will it take them to go back?

Thank you very much!

the legs are the best part!
    Even that out!!!
    Go do some squats and get a full body workout!
    GOGOGOGOGO!!!!!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who had that problem, she was a serious cross country runner with a serious eating disorder, her calves were bigger than her thighs for this reason.

She fixed it through therapy and recovery.

Maybe harp less on *parts* of your body and look at is as one whole piece of art.
  • curious376
    curious376 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love my muscular calves i wouldn't ask for smaller calves at all
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    ok... i think you are fishing for attention (will likely get it anyway with profile pic) regarding your weight. a goal weight of 123 at 5'11" is underweight, as you most likely know.

gaining muscle definition is generally regarded as a good thing. keeping/retaining/gaining muscle IS a good, healthy thing.

what exactly is your ultimate goal here?
  • miainwonderland
    miainwonderland Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many replies :)

Well, the thing is- I love the fact that I gained muscle definition, but now my calves look bigger than my thighs. I know a lot of people think muscular calves are sexy, but I don't, and I want to feel good about myself.

I don't think my height/weight is relevant here. Yes, my BMI is considered underweight but that doesn't mean anything. I just want to know whether it's possible to get my calves to look as they looked before? Will they slim down again if I stop running?
  • weaverfit
    Options
    By stopping the exercise that created the calves, the muscles will atrophy (again?) but I fail to see how that is better, but beauty is entirely in the eye of the beholder. You're likely to loose some of the other benefits of running - like your cardio endurance, etc. unless you pick some other activity that can work you out only from the waist up.