Do you log these things?

Options
2»

Replies

• lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I track my weight training becaue it give me a feeling of accomplishment to see it on the page. I ttack all exercise but I don't track activities.

I don't track every little taste of food because I've reconciled that all of my calorie tracking for exercise and food is an estimate. I generally leave a margin of safety. I do have a rule though that I have to track the little snacks or candy that I grab during the day. At work I'm constantly tempted by little dishes of snack or fun size candy bars. If I didn't track it I could miss a couple hundred calories a day and knowing I have to track it helps me to resist.

I track my water, but not religiously. If I'm on anyway and I think of it, I track it, but I don't log on specifically to update it and I don't really keep track of it during the day. It's so much of a habit that tracking it or not, doesn't change my behavior.

As for negative foods, again, because I deliberatly estimate, I don't get obsessive about coming back on line to add in pickles or celery if I forgot to add them to a recipe or something.
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    1. Your weight training exercises? Yes, but only because I combine weight training with cardio. I also wear and HRM.

2. Water consumption? Yes, I try to keep track and make sure I drink 8 glasses, at least.

3. When you are "tasting" something? I don't count tastes of food I cook, because I end up counting my portion of the recipe later for dinner. I figure a tsp of taste doesn't add much.

4. Low or "negative' calorie foods, like pickles, lettuce or gum? Or diet soda? I do count pickles (because I try to keep track of sodium0, lettuce, fresh herbs. I do not count diet soda, dry herbs, 0-calorie gum.
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    I logged my exercise and my food but not my water. I was only about 500 calories over on the weekend and I gained 3 pounds. I think that it may be that I am not getting enough water ---- and I was drinking wine so I be retaining water.

Because I exercised every day --- there is no reason for me to gain weight.

Any thoughts from you more experienced folks out there?

Nancy

Probably just water weight that will disappear when you get back to a proper level of hydration. Although, Jillian Michaels said on her radio show last week that just 2 servings of alcohol can inhibit your body's ability to burn fat by 70%. So... if you're drinking wine regularly, that may be counterproductive to your weight loss, even if it is factored into your calorie intake.

I log my strength training when I combine it with cardio - I wear a HRM and strength does burn calories. I stopped logging my water because I drink more than the 8 per day and pretty much nothing else. I don't log a "taste" unless it is really more than a tablespoon... I don't log pickles and sometimes I don't log raw green veggies because they are so low in calories.
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    1. no b/c I have yet to begin weight training
    2. yes, I like to make that little cup overflow with agua :smile:
    3. no
    4. I log anything that is higher than 10 cals (dunno why)

:flowerforyou:
  • rower45
    rower45 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I logged my exercise and my food but not my water. I was only about 500 calories over on the weekend and I gained 3 pounds. I think that it may be that I am not getting enough water ---- and I was drinking wine so I be retaining water.

Because I exercised every day --- there is no reason for me to gain weight.

Any thoughts from you more experienced folks out there?

Nancy

Probably just water weight that will disappear when you get back to a proper level of hydration. Although, Jillian Michaels said on her radio show last week that just 2 servings of alcohol can inhibit your body's ability to burn fat by 70%. So... if you're drinking wine regularly, that may be counterproductive to your weight loss, even if it is factored into your calorie intake.

I log my strength training when I combine it with cardio - I wear a HRM and strength does burn calories. I stopped logging my water because I drink more than the 8 per day and pretty much nothing else. I don't log a "taste" unless it is really more than a tablespoon... I don't log pickles and sometimes I don't log raw green veggies because they are so low in calories.

I was afraid of that. I do have wine every night and I think it does inhibit wieght loss. Thanks for the bad news! :sad:
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I log everything. I figure that I want an accurate account of what I've consumed . Cindy :heart:
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    The counter actually increases the number of allowable calories per day when you add exercise and so I figure it all counts.

But not for weight training, which is why I don't count it. :wink: Only for cardio. I guess when you weight train, all those calories go back into restoring your muscles, rather than into weight loss.

if you enter it in the weight training section then it doesn't count calories, but if you search weight training under the cardio tab you'll find it and it will estimate your calorie burn.

I have an HRM so I log all the cals I burn, but when I didn't I logged my weight training under cardio, but not in the weight training section. I count my water just to keep myself in check and make sure I'm getting enough- but i think thats totally a personal thing. I log everything I eat though-I mean everything. I'm eating it, so my body is counting it right?
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    1). log it under strength training as a cardio exercise. Because I do a high-intensity resistance routine, I wouldn't see my cals accurately if I didn't (I also have an HRM).

2). I log water. Period. If you are getting your water in, don't worry about it.

3). can't remember what the fourth question was. (I think it was the tasting one and the answer is that I add it into my portion size [so when I am measuring out a cup, if I had a teaspoon taste before, I take a teaspoon out]).

4). anything over 5 cals, yes. It's good for me to see what I ate. I like being able to print out the reports every now and then...
  • Sarandipity
    Sarandipity Posts: 1,560
    Options
    1. Yes sometimes I log the strength training if I set aside a specific time to do it and focus. If I am casually using my weights while watching tv or something then I don't. Most of the time my weights are incorporated into my cardio workout anyway (the program I use combines it all together)
    2. I log water when I log on to enter other things. I have a 700ml water bottle that I try to drink 2 of while at work
    3. I don't tend to log tastes, but I do that a lot less now than I did before and am more conscious of how much I am tasting.
    4. Yes I log everything I can, I don't have a HRM and some things are just estimates so the more than I can accurately log the better (but I don't log gum for some reason :laugh: ). LIke others have mentioned I try to leave a bit of a margin of error to cover for the estimates.
  • EcHoOoOoO
    EcHoOoOoO Posts: 89
    Options
    I log everything except strength training.. With my exercises i just keep track of calories burned with cardio. I like to log EVERYTHING water gum lil tasters and anything else that will count as 1 or 1000 calories. Maybe im pretty extreme but i know when i see the calories eaten up on the diary it makes me aware on what i munch on and taste!