i need a goooood guac recipe!

Options
abbylove08
abbylove08 Posts: 215
so i really don't like avacodos... but i had "helluva good" guacamole (which i later found out what guac FLAVORED dip... hmph), but I really liked it.

has anyone had the Helluva good kind, and any suggestions on how I can make it so I'll like it?
I'm thinking I will need to add some sour cream or mayo or something to the avacodo and lemon/lime juice...

i've been looking on recipezaar.com, but if anyone has some super delish recipe's that would be great!
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• abbylove08
    Options
    so i really don't like avacodos... but i had "helluva good" guacamole (which i later found out what guac FLAVORED dip... hmph), but I really liked it.

has anyone had the Helluva good kind, and any suggestions on how I can make it so I'll like it?
    I'm thinking I will need to add some sour cream or mayo or something to the avacodo and lemon/lime juice...

i've been looking on recipezaar.com, but if anyone has some super delish recipe's that would be great!
    :flowerforyou:
  • levans
    levans Posts: 15
    Options
    3 medium ripe avacados
    3 Roma Tomatos
    1/3 c red onion
    1/3 c green pepper
    1/2 large jalepeno
    3 cloves of garlic
    1/4 tsp cumin
    juice of one lime
    2 tblsp fresh cilantro
    salt and pepper to taste

Finely dice tomato, onion, green pepper, and jalepeno. Mince garlic. Mash avacado with a fork, till smooth. Add tomato, onion, green pepper, jalepeno and garlic to avacado. Add cumin, juice of lime, cilantro and salt/pepper. Serve

No extra calories from mayo or sour cream though it could be added.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Quick and simple "White girl" guacamole: In a food processor, mash your avocados. slowly add and process some of your favorite salsa to taste.
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I made some this weekend but I couldn't tell you how. I just kinda throw things together in a food processor. Here is what I used:

Avacados (I think there were 4)
    Garlic (at least 4 cloves)
    lemon juice (half a lemon, I know this because I still have the other half in the fridge)
    hot sauce (the kind in the little bottles)
    a little cayenne pepper (just a little)
    salt and pepper
    and lite mayo (I used that squirt bottle and just squirted into the food processor)

I think that's it. I process it until it is smooth and let it set in the fridge for a few hours before I eat it. Sorry I can't be more help.
  • purrrr
    purrrr Posts: 1,073
    Options
    wow, didn't know there are so many ways to make it... here's what i mix up in mine:

1 large avocado
    1 Roma tomato
    1 small head red onion
    1 garlic clove (or 1 stalk young garlic)
    lemon juice (half a lemon yields)
    some parsley + coriander if you like it
    a little bit cayenne pepper
    some salt
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    avocados
    roma tomatoes
    white or yellow onion
    green chili pepper
    cilantro
    salt
    LIME juice

add as much or as little of each, use lime juice, it tastes better in it and leave a couple of the avocado pits in it, it'll help keep the avocado from browning ;)
  • jamielbeck
    jamielbeck Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    When I make guac I usually chop up fresh tomatoes, onions, etc like everyone else recommended. However if I need a quick guac fix, I use 1 avacado and mix it with a fork till smooth then add about 1-2TBSP of salsa (I am a salsa fan so I use 2 of the Tostitos mild salsa but it takes away from the guac flavor). Squeeze in 1/2 a lime, stir and refrigerate
    Mmmmmm! :happy:
  • jamielbeck
    jamielbeck Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    add as much or as little of each, use lime juice, it tastes better in it and leave a couple of the avocado pits in it, it'll help keep the avocado from browning ;)

Very true! It works!
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    Simplest way to make a guacamole is to peeled and mash 1 avocado and add 2 tbsp of your favorite fresh salsa.

if you want to make guacamole the basic recipe is following:

1 small onion, finely chopped (red or yellow)
    2 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
    1 small tomato, seeded, chopped (I prefer Roma)
    1 avocado, peeled, seeded, mashed (I prefer Hass avocados, they are smaller and more buttery in taste)
    1 hot pepper, minced (I prefer habanera or jalapeno)
    juice of 1 lime
    salt to taste
    (garlic, hot sauce, cayenne pepper are ingredients you can add based on your own taste preference)
  • strangesangria
    strangesangria Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I always just mash up avacado and add a little light sour cream (maybe 2 tblsp) lemon juice, salt pepper, and a little sugar ---
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    Oh real guac doesn't have mashed avocados, please don't, it's soooooooo much better chunked!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    https://blog.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/recipe.php?recipeId=53

Here's a link to my favorite one. It's more like a dip consistency, and because it has yogurt, that lowers the avocado calorie content. Translation: you can eat more of it.:tongue:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    awwww. . .my first double post ever.:noway:
  • mel_istheshit
    Options
    I have gotten tons of compliments on this recipe... I watched the lady make it at Adobo Grill and tried to follow the same recipe and techniques.

1 avacado
    1-2 cloves garlic
    1/4 small onion (or more if you like onion)
    hand full of fresh chopped cilantro
    juice of 1/2-1 lime
    Salt

Mince the garlic or press with a garlic press. Sprinkle salt over the minced garlic and smash with a knife to turn it to paste... just start with a pinch and work up until you have enough for the paste. Mince the onion (I use my garlic press for this too... it keeps you from getting any onion chunks). Halve the avacado and cut each half into cubes before scooping it out. Squeeze the lime over everything and mix together, slightly mashing the avacado, but leaving chunks. Add in the cilantro... the more the better. I love cilantro! I think it totally makes the guac.

You can also add a diced tomato, but I usually leave that out because my fiance doesn't like tomatoes.
  • FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options
    This is kind of a Moc-a-mole using mainly peas but a little avacado. May be another option to try out. I stumbled onto it on Hungry Girl.

3492hgguacamolesmall_4.jpg

Guac 'n Roll!
    We KNOW guacamole, people. And we are POSITIVE you're gonna FLIP over this stuff! (Pssst... we recommend dipping cut veggies and baked tortilla chips in it!)

Ingredients:
    One 15-oz. can early/young peas, drained
    1/2 cup mashed avocado (about 1 medium-small avocado's worth)
    1/3 cup chopped cherry or grape tomatoes
    1/4 cup finely chopped onions
    1/4 cup fat-free Greek yogurt (like Fage Total 0%)
    4 tsp. lime juice
    1/2 tsp. chopped garlic
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. pepper
    1/8 tsp. cumin
    1/8 tsp. chili powder
    Optional: chopped cilantro, chopped jarred jalapenos, additional salt and pepper

Directions:
    Place drained peas in a medium bowl and mash thoroughly with a potato masher or fork. Add all other ingredients except for the tomatoes, onions and optional items. Continue to mash until blended. Stir in the tomatoes, onions and, if you like, some chopped cilantro and/or jalapenos. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if needed. Enjoy! MAKES 6 SERVINGS

HG Alternative! This stuff is a great spread for sandwiches, pitas and wraps -- and it's an excellent omelette topper. Two tablespoons of it has just 29 calories and 1g fat, plus 1.25g fiber (POINTS® value 0*)!

Serving Size: 1/3 cup (1/6th of recipe)
    Calories: 78
    Fat: 3g
    Sodium: 320mg
    Carbs: 10.5g
    Fiber: 3.5g
    Sugars: 4g
    Protein: 3.5g

POINTS® value 1*
  • Mergirl
    Mergirl Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey, your in luck!

Today on Good Morning America there was a woman who has written a new book filled with recipe's 200 cals or less per serving. Check it out, here is her quac recipe

'Hungry Girl' Lisa Lillien's 200 Calorie or Less Holy Moly Guacamole
    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe?id=7346506
  • abbylove08
    Options
    thank you thank you thank you EVERYONE!
    i can't wait to start trying these out!
    mmmmm
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Simplest way to make a guacamole is to peeled and mash 1 avocado and add 2 tbsp of your favorite fresh salsa.

if you want to make guacamole the basic recipe is following:

1 small onion, finely chopped (red or yellow)
    2 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
    1 small tomato, seeded, chopped (I prefer Roma)
    1 avocado, peeled, seeded, mashed (I prefer Hass avocados, they are smaller and more buttery in taste)
    1 hot pepper, minced (I prefer habanera or jalapeno)
    juice of 1 lime
    salt to taste
    (garlic, hot sauce, cayenne pepper are ingredients you can add based on your own taste preference)

This is probably the closest to the recipe I make, I don't add any mayo or sour cream, just a ton of onion, cilantro, lime, chopped jalapeno, tomato, and again a lot of lime juice. Just made some last night, was soooo good!