HRM says I burn HEAPS - is this bad?

Options
13»

Replies

• Bettsy_A
    Bettsy_A Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Okiedokie :) That was all set up! Like when I get a new phone, I have to personalise it as soon as it's out of the box haha

Lol new 'toys' are great :smile:

Heheh oh yes :D then if i cant figure them out, i'm all over google :P
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Can I burn calories for sitting here and thinking about all of these calculations???
  • Bettsy_A
    Bettsy_A Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Well, depending on the HRM this may or may not be true. Assuming you did your research and bought a reliable device there's a good chance it's correct. MFP doesn't account for what your heart rate was during certain intensities of your workout. If you're pushing yourself to hold a higher heart rate most of the time then chances are yeah, you're burning more calories. I wouldn't worry, keep a log of your Max HR and Average HR just so you know what your body tends to do during specific activities. Also, this will let you know if something crazy is going on with your monitor. I noticed when my battery was getting low on my monitor it would throw out numbers that were insanely high, example: Max HR 232!!

HAHA OH WOW! That'd be funny if that happened! Yeah I did a bit of research and got the chest strap one. Lots of people said that was the most accurate. It even saves your peak heart rate and lowest heart rate! Pretty nifty! I'll trust it, but I guess I never thought I'd burn so much haha! Too used to being lazy :P
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Depending on the HRM, it could be good or bad.. Polar is going to be more accurate then a TImex for example.

Also people telling you to lay down and wear the HRM to figure out what your resting rate is or to wear it all day long and see how much you burn are wrong.. HRM's are not meant for those types of activities. They are meant to be worn during exercise only.. since their equations are meant to use elevated heart rate for figuring out estimated calories burned.

If you want to figure out what you burn an hour/minute and subtract it, what you need to do is take your BMR divide by 24 to figure out how much you burn an hour and then take that number and divide by 60 to figure out what you burn a minute. From there you can multiply by how ever long you workout and subtract if you want... personally i never do with either of my HRM's and have lost weight just fine.
  • AmandaCaswell1982
    AmandaCaswell1982 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I just got the FT4 and I really like it! it was approx $93 at Target.

(Sorry for this Amanda) For the lady who was looking for one - its $66 on Amazon.com x
    haha I just saw this... it's all good. I'm impatient and wanted it NOW. ;)