Having a party for myself - pity party that is...

Options
Having a bad day and am just looking for some support. I started this journey around April of 2010. I weighed 344 pounds. To date I have lost 199 pounds. Since Xmas day I have only lost 5 pounds and I haven't lost a damn thing in 2 plus weeks. I'm very discouraged. To make matters worse I am dealing with a TON of extra skin. I have a huge apron that hangs way down below my crotch from being fat for so long.

I work out twice per day, every day. I haven't taken a rest day since last October. I'm tired of worrying and thinking about everything that goes in my mouth. I don't know what more I can do to drop at least 15 more pounds. Like I said just really feeling sorry for myself!!!

Replies

• techigirl78
    techigirl78 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Wow, 199lbs. You should be in success stories. Great job!

I looked at your diary for a few days and you may need to up your calories. When I plateaued for all of December, I chose to up my calorie intake and the weight started to come off again. Also, take a few days off from the gym and give yourself a break. If you don't go over you calories, you won't gain weight and your body had been through a lot and probably could use a little itme off.

For the skin, I would suggest going to a doctor and discussing it with them. I know some insurance covers tummy tucks, particularly if the skin hangs over itself and rubs together.
  • DLJ_77
    DLJ_77 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    We all have moments, days, weeks and sometimes even months where we feel sorry for ourselves. I want to tell you that you look fantastic! I cannot believe how much you have lost altogether! It is amazing and inspiring! I know how frustrating it is when the scale is not moving, but everyone plateau's at some point. I promise you that with all of the hard work you have been putting in, you will reach your goal! I think sometimes we need to look at where we have been as much as where we want to be...
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both of you. The thought of increasing my calories and/or decreasing exercise scares the CRAP out of me. I'm such an all or nothing person. Even though I know this is irrational, I believe that if I gain, it would be put back on in 50 pound chunks.

I do have an appointment with a plastic surgeon for late March, but my understanding is that they rarely pay for skin removal and I don't have $10,000 lying around for that.

And yes, I am terrible about only seeing how far I have to go instead of how far I have come. I don't know how to overcome that...
  • techigirl78
    techigirl78 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I can see your point. I was scared to increase my calories and I haven't lost close to the amount of weight as you. I would opt for increasing your calories slowly versus giving up gym and see what happens.

Hopefully you will be able to have insurance pay for it!

I can only imagine things that must go through your head. When I go to clothing stores, I still try on pants that are way to big cause they look like they would fit. You look really good. Maybe setting up some before and after pics for yourself and keeping it in a place you can access easily will help you overcome it.
  • irishginger
    irishginger Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My experience, for what it is worth, is that many patients cannot have the apron removed by a plastic surgeon because it is considered cosmetic which is traditionally not covered.

However, if there are 1.) problems associated with the hanging skin i.e. rashes, excoriation, etc developing due to rubbing or 2.) you go see a general surgeon or someone who specializes in weight loss surgery, then insurance may be more likely to cover at least part of the cost.

As for your pity party... you have done so amazingly well. Go ahead and enjoy the pity, for the moment, and then realize that you could not have made it as far as you have without perserverance, determination and a lot of work. Then pick yourself back up and move on - you won't let yourself do anything else...