HR and walking on incline

Options
I am the type of person that does not burn many calories during cardio- usually 200 for 30 mins of hard cardio.

While I run, my HR gets between 140 and 170. Today, after running a tough, fast 30 minute run, I walked on incline on the treadmill for 20 minutes. I kept looking at my watch while walking (7 incline) and my HR stayed between the same range as when I run (yes I have a chest strap). My speed was 3.5.

Is it really possible that my heart rate can get just as high walking on a big incline as when I run at a fast pace with no incline? Or had my HR just not come down properly from my run? I am interested because on days when I don't want to run, I woudn't mind walking on incline as long as it is getting my HR up enough.

Replies

• LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    yes, the hr is right to stay up on the incline.. you're demanding just as much from your muscles, just in a different way, and your hr has to go up/stay up to meet the muscle demand for oxygen. I wouldn't use this soley as a workout, though. Variety is better than one thing over and over.
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Yes, I use that as one of my forms of cardio and I really like it because I've had ACL reconstruction so my knee does not tolerate a lot of running. Keep watching your HR and don't rely soley on the incline. There are three different kinds of treadmills at my gym and they are all different, so one might work for you at 7% and one might do the same job at 10%.
  • Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information! I wouldn't use it as my only cardio, but if I can't quite push it as far while running for one reason or another, instead of quitting it's nice to know that I can just walk on incline and still get a good workout!

Also, luckily I have my own treadmill in my home so I don't have to worry about the settings/incline being different.
  • thisisatribute
    Options
    what about intervals of running and incline?

10 mins running (6 mph)
    10 mins incline (3% and 3.6 mph)
    10 mins running (5.7 mph)

Isn't this better because it'll keep "shocking" my body?