Jicama: answer to my fiber problems?

Options
ivykivy
ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
Anyone familiar with this veggie?

A Tuber That Tames Your Appetite
http://www.realage.com/ct/tips/8506

Want a low-cal, low-fat, and highly nutritious veggie that can also tame your appetite? Try jicama (pronounced HICK-a-ma).

Jicama takes a huge bite out of your appetite because it's crammed full of fiber -- a plant substance that helps you feel full longer. One medium-sized tuber has a whopping 32 grams of the stuff!

Fiber Is Fatal for Appetite
In his book The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth, Jonny Bowden, PhD, writes that one medium-sized jicama contains about three times the fiber most Americans consume in one day. And you want that fiber, because it makes you feel fuller by increasing volume in your digestive tract and triggering satiety hormones.

And That's Not All, Folks!
Check out a few of the other vital nutrients found in crisp, juicy jicama:

* Calcium & magnesium -- Discover why getting both can do wonders for your bones.
* Potassium -- Pump up your muscles with this powerful nutrient.
* Vitamins A and beta carotene -- Learn what they do and how much you need.
* Vitamin C -- Here's why your skin loves this vitamin.

Replies

• ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Anyone familiar with this veggie?

A Tuber That Tames Your Appetite
    http://www.realage.com/ct/tips/8506

Want a low-cal, low-fat, and highly nutritious veggie that can also tame your appetite? Try jicama (pronounced HICK-a-ma).

Jicama takes a huge bite out of your appetite because it's crammed full of fiber -- a plant substance that helps you feel full longer. One medium-sized tuber has a whopping 32 grams of the stuff!

Fiber Is Fatal for Appetite
    In his book The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth, Jonny Bowden, PhD, writes that one medium-sized jicama contains about three times the fiber most Americans consume in one day. And you want that fiber, because it makes you feel fuller by increasing volume in your digestive tract and triggering satiety hormones.

And That's Not All, Folks!
    Check out a few of the other vital nutrients found in crisp, juicy jicama:

* Calcium & magnesium -- Discover why getting both can do wonders for your bones.
    * Potassium -- Pump up your muscles with this powerful nutrient.
    * Vitamins A and beta carotene -- Learn what they do and how much you need.
    * Vitamin C -- Here's why your skin loves this vitamin.
  • JMAMA
    JMAMA Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    does it taste good. If it isn't tasty, i don't eat it!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

it has alot of water
    and has a nice clean taste
  • pauladavies86
    pauladavies86 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I love Jicama. I like to cut it in sticks and just eat it raw. And it does have a very clean, crisp taste. Something like snap peas with the consistency of a radish.
  • angelinaz
    angelinaz Posts: 262
    Options
    We always eat jicama! The kids love it. I sprinkle fresh lime on mine. The two year olds like it plain. My daughter likes lime and celtic sea salt! :heart:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I have neither seen nor ever heard of it. Interesting.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I like Jicama a lot! It looks kind of like a potato - and is crisp and fresh.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I have used it instead of chips to dip in bean dip or other things, It is pretty good that way. I have also had it shredded on salads, not bad either. It seems to go bad really fast though....:grumble:
  • Roxie45
    Roxie45 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Where is it located in the produce section? I have heard alot about it but cannot find it.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options

It is crunchy and slightly sweet. I cut mine up and add it to salads or sandwiches :flowerforyou:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Where is it located in the produce section? I have heard alot about it but cannot find it.

Ask your produce department, it looks like a big rough brown beet, comes in many sizes and the outer skin is similar to that on a piece of ginger root . Usually located somwhere between celery and carrots and the beets and fennel, look along the area where the root veggies are and you will find it :wink:
  • Roxie45
    Roxie45 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • monteig
    monteig Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love jicama!

The best thing about it is that it is essentially a vehicle - it takes on the taste of whatever you add to it or cook it in. So a great way to get fiber without a bad taste.

The only downside is that it is a bit of work to peel and cut. But well worth it in the end.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    jicama rules!
  • aerome
    aerome Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have never tried it, but I've seen it used a lot on Top Chef (my favorite show!) in salads and stuff and always wondered what the heck it was. :tongue: Now I know!
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I will definately try this... lets hope i can find it lol
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I've baked it like sweet potato fries