little "cheats" here and there

Options

Replies

• jazzedorange
    jazzedorange Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It does get better and the more you continue on your 'Healthy Journey' the more it gets better :) But the late night cravings for me.... I have a cup of hot tea with honey. It helps me and its only 30ish calories!
  • jazzedorange
    jazzedorange Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Just a trick.... Drink a glass of water before every meal :) It will fill you faster and you will get your daily water.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want, make sure it fits into your log, log it, and move on. If it fits it's not "cheating".
  • EhRiKuh
    Options
    Just a trick.... Drink a glass of water before every meal :) It will fill you faster and you will get your daily water.

AWESOME!! I'll start using that trick tomorrow!! Thank youuuu =)
  • EhRiKuh
    Options
    Eat what you want, make sure it fits into your log, log it, and move on. If it fits it's not "cheating".

Agreed.
    Since I've started I've worked out and have always been "under" my daily meal log intakes. Yay! =)
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I noticed I cheated more, when I was having more carbs in my diet. The less carbs I eat, the more in control of my eating i stay. I noticed it was a vicious cycle. And I finally broke it.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I never "cheat" per say. If I want a treat, I fit it in and only then can I have it. The times I went over, it was usually planned to make up for underages....

Try to make a cheat worth it, and not something you can go back for more of! I hate buying single candies because the bag just stares at me making me really want it and I have trouble with that :D
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    So I started this last Monday and I've lost 5lbs so far. BUT, I've been catching myself cheating here and there and I'd like to STOP! What does everyone do to not cheat? Do you replace your fav cheat food with healthy ones?

Ughh. This stinks!

Ideally if you can find a "cheat food" that is healthy, that is the best solution, however, myself and others typically view cheating as okay so long as you're not binge eating. Most days of the week I feel like I have a fairly solid diet. But on some days I will grab a handful of chips or have a meal that is not technically "healthy" but still withing 3-400 calories so it fits with my daily intake. It's not very good to just say absolutely no cheat foods, cuz then when you do you will typically cheat in a big way. It's okay to give in to the craving. I like to "Reward" myself for a good week either on the diet/exercise or if I did really well on an exam, I'll purposely go out and get a cheat meal. In the big picture you're not hurting anything. Just have to control portions and make sure it's rare enough to not cause problems.
  • EhRiKuh
    Options
    [/quote]
    Just have to control portions and make sure it's rare enough to not cause problems.
    [/quote]

Totally agree!! Thanks for the tip! :smile:
  • ashleynicoleh04
    ashleynicoleh04 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have a HUUUUUGE sweet tooth! you should check out pure2raw for raw healthy cheats! They have THE BEST recipes and the food is good for you so you wont feel as bad!
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I plan them and I made a promise to myself that I would log EVERYTHING that goes in my mouth. The cheats kinda fell away when I had to log them all!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Well yesterday I cheated a little bit but I used V-Day as an excuse. Haha as silly as that sounds. I have planned that only holidays deserve cheating at its finest. So the next cheat day would be St. patty's next month.

But for example, chocolate isn't an issue. I have been eating ONE fun size chocolate ever other day just to kill that desire. BUT, I notice that lately I've been getting SO HUNGRY after I lock in my meal plan for the day, and eating fruits just isn't cutting it.

What do you guys do to kill late night cravings?

What are you eating? How many calories?

Late night cravings:
    1. cup of dessert tea (like creme brulee or something with a little milk and sweetener.)
    2. apple and peanut butter
    3. nuts
    4. dried fruit (dried tart cherries taste like sour patch kids)
    5. I used to drink chocolate almond milk
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    the guilt is worse for you than the cheating.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    A million times THIS.

I like to think of my calories as a bank account. When I exercise I put money into the account. It costs me an average of 500-1,000 calories a day to lose weight. Normally I try to be pretty frugal & try to get more for my money by eating healthier stuff. But if I'm at the end of the day & I've still got 1,100 calories in my account, I can spend 100 on a mini red velvet cupcake (which I just did, & it was delightful).

I prefer to be frugal most of the time, then every once in a while splurge on something REALLY YUMMY. It's no different than budgeting your money to pay your bills & limiting your extraneous spending, then splurging on a night out every so often. It's fun, & assuming it's moderated it won't keep you from meeting your financial goals. Same goes for your calorie budget. Nothing wrong with blowing a big chunk of them on something delicious once in a while, or budgeting a small chunk of them every day for something decadent. As long as the majority of your calories are spent on good stuff & you're not spending more than you're earning through activity, you're fine.
    I love this analogy. if you are honest with yourself and log it all, keep track of everything, you dont have to "cheat". im not gonna live without cheesecake for ever. had some yesterday. within my cals, had brownie friday night, within my cals, i exercise so i can eat what I want to! its like wearing the same boring suit every damn day. i want wear stilettos and hot mini every once in a while! i usually eat the same thing every day but dinner so usually not a problem but i am not gonna give up chocolate or chips and guacamole
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    if you want it enough to log it BEFORE getting up and going to get it (1 piece at a time), then you deserve it :-)

since excluding most carbs, i actually don.t crave sweets like i used to. and i even manage to say no to the other half of my piece of toblerone. (it helps that my hubby eats it though) i just don't want the 'carb wedge' to go over 30 (25 ideally).
  • onek9lover
    Options
    I'm not trying to be funny, but I go to sleep. I have a really hard time at night.

I'm currently trying this out. It's working. I also make myself a huge crystal light drink so I have something sweet for bed with no calories
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I don't look at them as cheats. I log everything and if there is something special I want then I earn it. I get my butt to the gym, the treadmill or the elliptical and burn the calories so that I can get what I want. I plan for eating out and desserts. And I don't deny myself....but I do earn it!!!

Like I knew I was going to have some extra treats yesterday and spent 46 minutes at the gym jogging/walking and I burned 460 calories so that I could eat what I wanted in the portions that I knew I could!!

So I don't believe in cheating anymore. I'm not on a diet, I'm on a healthy lifestyle and with my lifestyle comes eating out, chocolate, desserts and more. I just plan for it and account for it!!
  • tinamatteson
    tinamatteson Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be funny, but I go to sleep. I have a really hard time at night.

Same here! It's a really good trick!
  • EhRiKuh
    Options
    THANK YOU EVERYONE!!

I think I just have the "jitters" since all of this is new to me.
    It feels good to FINALLY be working towards a better body, lifestyle and all that good stuff. I guess with time I'll learn these little tricks that work in my favor.

:flowerforyou:
  • Jenniferlynn212
    Jenniferlynn212 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    No BLTs! Bites, likes, or tastes! If you're gonna have something log it & eat it, if not, put it down :-) Log everything! Find healthier alternatives or just have less of what you like, drink lotsa water, and exercise.you're doing great!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    You've started in the last week or two and already lost 5lbs? If you are having "cheats" (I am guessing you're referring to foods the diet industry have told us are naughty that we should never ever have) but you are sticking to your caloric goals, what is the problem? Guilt and self deprivation lead to failure in the long run. Speaking as a yo yo dieter, it is best to just relax, meet your caloric target and not stress over eating some chocolate every now and then.