A great idea for all those Girl Scout cookies...

Options
Elzecat
Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
So confession time...at the grocery store tonight I was serenaded by 3 adorable Girl Scouts from Troop 50992 in Lakewood, Colorado, selling "cookie crack" (also known as Thin Mints)...I reached into my wallet "reluctantly" and said: "aha! I have no cash." No dice. They have a mobile credit card machine. :noway: So I thought about buying "just" one box. :laugh: Last year I bought one box and forgot about the open box in the cabinet and they went stale (better for my waistline). Then I had a brilliant, although not original idea: buy cookies and ship them overseas to some troops who really could use those cookies WAY more than me. So...I bought 4 boxes of cookies and now just need to figure out how to accomplish my not-so-random act of kindess. :glasses:

Just an idea, in case you'd like to support your local Girl Scouts but don't want to eat so many cookies...:wink:

Replies

• MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • bmacholiday
    bmacholiday Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    The cookies I bought are going over to my nephew in Afghanistan. Great minds think alike. :smile:
  • ericcumbee
    ericcumbee Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I dont know about the girl scouts but the Boy Scout Popcorn sales, they have an option where you can buy some popcorn and just have it sent over seas to members of the military.
  • kittenmitton
    kittenmitton Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I give extra food to homeless people. It's cheaper than shipping stuff off to another country (especially since it could get lost in the mail and then the next thing you know, Somali pirates have intercepted your thin mints....or something). But where I live, there are homeless people all over the place, especially outside grocery stores. If I'm feeling generous and they look really hungry, sometimes I'll buy them something to eat.
  • bridgeo74
    bridgeo74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    If you were closer to Fort Carson, the Girl Scouts let you have the option to send some to the Troops and they do the shipping!!! Find a Guard or Reserve station near you, and see if the do "goodie" boxes for the troops...some churches and youth groups look for donations to send overseas also....

BTW: Thanks!!! My husband has been on the other end of those boxes....everything in them is appreciated....especially Girl Scout cookies!!!!!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Im pretty sure if you contact your local Recruiter office, they can give you an appropriate address to send them.

Also - check with the Post Office to make sure you are following their packaging specifications for shipping food overseas...
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I always just give them the money and tell them to resell the boxes or take them home and give them away to whomever. I haven't had a girl scout cookie in about 12 years. I wouldn't know how to send them overseas. If you find out, please let us know. That is a great idea
  • TurnLeftNow
    Options
    Not to be an enabler but Thin Mint cookies taste great frozen :P
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm a Girl Scout leader and we made arrangements to have people be able to buy cookies to donate to the local Children's Hospital infusion center so the kids have treats when they go in for treatments.
  • Elzecat
    Options
    I dont know about the girl scouts but the Boy Scout Popcorn sales, they have an option where you can buy some popcorn and just have it sent over seas to members of the military.

my coworker's son came in and did his little spiel about the popcorn and he was such a great salesman (they're from Kazakhstan and their 11 year old still has the cutest accent) that I bought a box, even though I am not crazy about popcorn. My officemate and I already shared some, or I'd send that overseas too! What a great idea.
  • Elzecat
    Options
    Not to be an enabler but Thin Mint cookies taste great frozen :P

I'm already enabled, I have been freezing em for years lol
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    If I let my husband have one of the 6 boxes I bought, can I count that as donating to the troops and eat the rest of them guilt-free? :laugh:
  • Elzecat
    Options
    If I let my husband have one of the 6 boxes I bought, can I count that as donating to the troops and eat the rest of them guilt-free? :laugh:

seeing as he's military, heck yeah ;) The mom of one of the Girl Scouts promised me she would remove the calories before handing over the boxes, too LOL
  • hooligansmom
    hooligansmom Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    The Girl Scout cookie forms I have seen do offer the option of sending cookies to the troops. Not only do the girls get credit for the cookies, but a member of our military gets the cookies, and the Scouts take care of the logistics. You get to keep your waistline too!
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Oh I love girl scouts... but i am forever traumatized from selling those cookies door to door as a kid.
  • Elzecat
    Options
    an update on my mission of donating Girl Scout cookies to the troops:

I found this information on ehow.com (gotta love the internet!):

Donate boxes through the Girl Scouts organization. When you purchase cookies from a Girl Scout troop that is participating in the "Gift of Caring" program, you are given the option on the order form to purchase boxes to donate to the U.S. military troops serving overseas. Mark on the form how many boxes you would like to purchase for the troops and the organization will coordinate the shipping.
    (Note: I was not offered this option when I bought my cookies, so I don't know if that GS troop offered it)

Send boxes through volunteer organizations such as Hugs For Soldiers (hugsforsoldiers.org) or Any Soldier (anysoldier.com). Simply mail cookie boxes to the groups and they will send them to deployed soldiers who do not receive many care packages from home
    (Note: the soldiers listed at anysoldier.com have a wide list of items they'd love to receive, in case you don't want to send cookies!)

Ask for the address of a soldier through your local Armed Forces recruiting office or church if you do not personally know any troops. Package the cookies along with a note of encouragement and gratitude in a cardboard box. Address the package with the soldier's FPO/APO address. Fill out the customs forms and indicate that the contents are a gift, and mail through your local post office.
    \

I hope I've inspired someone else to donate their Girl Scout cookies this year ;) As much as I love them, I don't need them!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    bump