Shin Splint Prevention & Treatment...?

Options
No Matter what I CANNOT avoid shin splints. Im guessing it may be something with my shoes. Even though they are a really good pair of Nike running shoes. They kinda cramp my feet after ahwile. Not anything what my cletes feel like when I play soccer. ANYWAY.. the shin splints are just unavoidable. I have tried warming my shins up doing toes walks and watching how im running. So the inevitable happened and just after 2 days of starting to exercise again, I have interior lower shin splints. Any tips on someone who has been there before? I need prevention advice + treatment?

Thanks all!

Replies

• blp1
    blp1 Posts: 80
    Options
    I have the same thing! Would also like to know...
  • krbn2
    krbn2 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If you go to a nice shoe store, the people there can fit you with good shoes that will correct whatever over/under/whatever pronation you have, and that could help. Like a sporting supply store that sells shoes, or a Nike/Other Brand retailer, not just a regular shoe store. One where the salespeople will watch you walk or look at how your shoes are being worn down to fit you for a new pair.

Or just take it slower? Just because you *can* go at x speed for x distance doesn't mean you can do that...without getting shin splints. So when you re-start exercising do less that what you know you can do and slowly build your way up.

As for treatment: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/shin-splints/DS00271/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    How old are your shoes? did you try running with a different pair to see if that helped?
    I have found that Shin splints are usually caused by tight calves and or fallen arches. If you were heels everyday then you definitely need to stretch your calves, or have a massage therapist to work on them/strip them.
    Your runners might not provide you enough arch support but they also sound too small if they make your feet cramp.

If you are still having issues, you might want to consult with an athletic therapist or Dr.

Are your shin splints only on one leg or both?
    Hard to say without knowing more.
  • rblakeslee
    rblakeslee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Once you get them, you almost have to stop running completely for weeks before you're completely over it. Shoes? Yes. Form? Possible. Terrain? Absolutely. I went to college in SF and got shin splints all the time. I had to keep my runs on the treadmill for minimal impact. At the same time, I went to an amazing runner's/shoe store that had me walk/run for them so they could assess my form and recommend the best shoe for me. I've never changed brands since.

If you have shim splints now, I propose you stop running or even jogging for 2-3 weeks. In the meantime, stick to swimming or the elliptical. Once you return to running, keep it slow and on the treadmill until you feel strong.