Feeling guilty

Options
I got on the scale today and saw I lost 2 lb s since last week when I last weighed in. I was thrilled! However I got home tonight and on the counter was a piece of cake my sis brought home from a birthday party. I shrugged it off at first, telling myself "do you want to gain those 2 lbs back?" Well that worked for about an hour. I decided, one little bite won't hurt, and I deserve a treat since I had good results on the scale. Before I knew it I had eaten the entire piece.

Now I just feel icky, and down that I let myself give into temptation. I dont want to deprive myself, but I dont want to feel guilty everytime I treat myself.

Do any of you ever have these feelings? What do you do to feel better about your choices?

Replies

• sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Try not to feel guilty. I know it is tough, but instead listen to your body and how it reacted to the cake. Did it make you feel icky in a sense you felt sick and didn't enjoy it? or was it way too sweet now that you are used to making healthier choices?

I used to feel guilty when I endulged in a sweet or two, now I have realized that it's ok to have some here and there it is about moderation. If I know I have a birthday party to go to, I will estimate how many calories are in that piece of cake and make sure that I a) have calories for it, or b) work out more that day to allow myself to have a piece. And when all else fails I remind myself tomorrow is another day. I am more optimistic now as well. Yes you had the piece of cake but you didn't eat a whole cake.

I find most of the time when I feel the urge to eat sweets or fast food there is some kind of emotional attachment.

Chin up!!
  • Tiff1124
    Tiff1124 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the reply :) I know I definitely need to look at things with a better perspective, and be more optimistic about my choices. I know that depriving yourself will only lead to more intense cravings..I just really want to lose this weight. Lol I guess we just can't have our cake and eat it too ;)
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Trust me I get it.. Since I have joined MFP I have been fluctuating between 188-202 lbs and my body refuses to let me experience life under the 180's again.
    I have come to realize that I didn't gain weight over night and it isn't going to come off over night. When I am pissed off or have an emotional day I want to go back to the binging days/ways. I will have a piece of cake or a cookie (try not to keep them in my house) and move on, I recognize the urge I acknowledge it and then I move on.
    You will get to where you want to be, just remember that even if the scale isn't moving you have probably lost more inches. Try taking measurements it helps.
    I also have decided that instead of putting a LBS number down for a goal I'm going to go by size, and overall just be a healthier me.

I hope that helps.

It is ok to feel discouraged and guilty, the important thing is acknowleding it, reflecting it and remebering that it isn't the end of the day. Tomorrow will just be a better day.
  • Tiff1124
    Options
    Thank you so much for the words of encouragement :) Very much appreciated!
  • HeaderAutumn
    HeaderAutumn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Anytime I begin to indulge, I think, "Is this worth it?" Many times the answer is HELL YEAH!!! Then when I have had a bit I ask myself again. It has helped me a bunch. Sometimes I think No but eat it anyway. That is when I get pissy at myself. Just remember. No one gained weight with a piece of cake. They gain weight when they say, I already messed up so I might as well also have ____ and ___ and ___and ___. Let yourself off the hook for the evening and just keep at what you've been doing.
  • wittlelacey
    wittlelacey Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Holy balls, this happened to me today. Oh, I deserve a nibble of this 300 calorie chocolate heart for my success the past couple of days. Down the drain. I feel super guilty but I still was around 1200 calories today. I do shrug it off and try to do better the next day, but I've been slipping up a lot lately so it's best to just use it as motivation to push through and do better :)
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    I got on the scale today and saw I lost 2 lb s since last week when I last weighed in. I was thrilled! However I got home tonight and on the counter was a piece of cake my sis brought home from a birthday party. I shrugged it off at first, telling myself "do you want to gain those 2 lbs back?" Well that worked for about an hour. I decided, one little bite won't hurt, and I deserve a treat since I had good results on the scale. Before I knew it I had eaten the entire piece.

Now I just feel icky, and down that I let myself give into temptation. I dont want to deprive myself, but I dont want to feel guilty everytime I treat myself.

Do any of you ever have these feelings? What do you do to feel better about your choices?

Remember this feeling for when next time temptation confronts you. Willpower is yours to forfeit.
  • Tiff1124
    Options
    Not going to worry about it...tomorrow is a new day :)
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty! Why should we feel guilty about eating? I think the most important thing is to not make this a regular occurance. Even though you are trying to lose weight and be healthier, it doesn't mean that you can't enjoy food. It's hard to not reward yourself for a good weight loss with food. That is what many of us are used to doing.

So you ate cake tonight...what are you doing to do differently tomorrow? That is what you have to focus on now. Believe me, we have all been there.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    That cake would need to be 7000 calories to gain back the two pounds. Take an extra 100 off the next three days or burn 300 in exercise, and you will be good. oh, and ENJOY!!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I let myself have sweets almost every day. I suck at eating clean.
    However as long as I'm staying around 1200, I'm losing.
    So you don't have to feel guilty, just keep up with your calories. :)
  • Tiff1124
    Options
    I love these message boards! You all have great advice. Thank you :)
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Everyone has done this. It happens. You made a mistake. You'll probably still be your same weight tomorrow. Was it at least good!???
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    lol now I want cake!! haha
  • Tiff1124
    Options
    It was delicious! Lol
  • b0t23
    b0t23 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    1 day of eating 1 piece of cake is not going to put that weight back on... so I say no biggie.

Unless it was a 7000 calorie piece of cake. haha

Anyways, now it just means you have to work a little harder for a few days. :)
  • Tiff1124
    Options
    A 7000 calorie piece of cake better be made of gold if I'm going to eat that :)
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    A 7000 calorie piece of cake better be made of gold if I'm going to eat that :)

LOL... yeah, it better have some magical properties, right?

Don't sweat that. Just let it go. Drink your water. Forget about it, it's definitely a done-deal :) If that happens you can just boost your workout tomorrow for the psychological peace it may bring :) Honestly, that piece isn't going to do a darn thing... Eating that piece every day though for a few weeks might. So, having treats every now and then is healthy if it's done knowing you really enjoy it, it's in moderation and you aren't doing it compulsively or something.
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Lol, yeah I feel guilty too. But I still give myself once in a blue moon treats. I don't binge.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    yes i've had that feeling of guilt before. but then 1 bite or 1 piece won't kill ya one day. now if you ate that every day that is a different story