Eating up calories burned by excercise . will it work?

Options
1. I weigh 115 kgs at 172 cms height.(BMR=2065 CAL) My undertstanding from MFP is that we need to eat up calories, which we have burned by doing excercise, in addition to our Target Calories in order to start losing weight.. Whether this will really work?
2. What will happen if I stick to my Target calories only and not make up for burned calories?
3. When does starvation mode start actually and whether it is ok even if you are in starvation mode with a BMI of 39?

Can anybody help explaining.......

Replies

• ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Oh boy you just opened a can of worms...

1. I personally eat my exercise calories
    2. Unless you're burning over 300 calories during exercise, it probably won't matter too much whether you eat them or not. If you are burning more than 300, I really think you should eat them as you could go into starvation mode.
    3. I've heard that when you eat less than 1200 calories a day, starvation mode will set in. It's never a good idea to put your body into starvation mode no matter what your BMI, unless you are under the close care of a doctor.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE read the thread at the top of this forum called "Newbies Please Read Me (2nd Edition)" and read all of the links there. You'll get a TON of different responses here, but that seems to have the most level-headed advice.

Hope that helps.
  • 10_M
    10_M Posts: 22
    Options
    Hmmm I usually eat my exercise calories, but with healthy nutrient dense foods to help improve my athletic performance, and I have not gained any weight! My advice to you, is listen to your body, if you feel more hungry on days you exercise, have a small snack, if you do not feel more hungry, then do not.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i dont eat..i dont even count my exercise...since its accounted for with the activity level i chose