Stay at Home Moms and Dads---4/13-4/19

Options
hi chicas! just starting this week's thread. i still had mil in town this am and then grocery store shopping. the house needs to be cleaned, laundry to fold and more to wash....but i think i'm gonna go do leslie sansone's dvd instead. :happy:
i haven't exercised since friday and i need it. this week i'm going to try to exercise every day for at least 1 hr. i gotta crack my too many calories habit.

marla, how do you do NO sweets? i assume fruit's ok but no processed goodies? was it hard just the first week or more?
sweet/fat carbs are still such a problem for me. and once i start up---it grows from there.
any tips/strategies you have (besides not buying them :laugh: ) would be appreciated.

hope all you other p's had a good start to your week. :flowerforyou: will check back later!

Replies

• staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    hi chicas! just starting this week's thread. i still had mil in town this am and then grocery store shopping. the house needs to be cleaned, laundry to fold and more to wash....but i think i'm gonna go do leslie sansone's dvd instead. :happy:
    i haven't exercised since friday and i need it. this week i'm going to try to exercise every day for at least 1 hr. i gotta crack my too many calories habit.

marla, how do you do NO sweets? i assume fruit's ok but no processed goodies? was it hard just the first week or more?
    sweet/fat carbs are still such a problem for me. and once i start up---it grows from there.
    any tips/strategies you have (besides not buying them :laugh: ) would be appreciated.

hope all you other p's had a good start to your week. :flowerforyou: will check back later!
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

I need help here too...I don't necessarily crave them, but I will always go for sweets first if I am hungry--any tips/tricks would be great!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I have been rid of my sweet tooth since I started protein shakes ... I blend a half scoop with 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries, strawberries, or peaches and a cup of soy milk. It's even sweeter with banana but I don't use it unless I really need to increase my calories for the day.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    you just say no, my little pretties, just say no.

Truly, I did bend a bit last weekend when I had our friend visiting, and then yesterday for Easter dessert--

But no sweets is the ooey-gooey desserts.

I allow jelly on toast, and flavored creamer for my coffee if I want it-- but, you know, cakes, candy, donuts, ice cream-- desserty kinda stuff. I just don't have it. The challenge helps SOOO much-- somehow that really strengthens me.

Go figure--

Off to run then to work--
  • staceyw37
    Options
    marla, you have the will/discipline of ---i don't know who, but WOW. but okay, i see your point. and i can see how the challenge helps. i have my exercise goals set at mfp and it's so motivating to me. i never considered myself a goal-oriented person, but this time, it's working.
    so, i'm not ready to make that commitment it seems. gonna stay focused on my cals and water first and then add from there.

i hope you had a great run--i read your other post, amazon girl :laugh: , and understand how it's helped re-shape you some. cool.

ghanie--what do you mean by 1/2 scoop? 1/2 scoop of what??

btw, welcome--i read on your profile that you have 2 sons and live in CA. if you care to share more info--like their ages or names, we're happy to get to know you better. up to you.
    looking forward to more posts from you. :flowerforyou:

time to sign off for me. will see y'all in the AM.
  • Marla64
    Options
    Stacey-- will? Discipline? Me? Puh-- as if.

I did the no sweets challenge last October through Thanksgiving-- and was ridiculously faithful, and lost continual weight on the challenge--

Celebrated Thanksgiving day with pecan pie-- way too much of it, and that got the sweets back into my system. Holidays came around-- bit of fudge here, chocolate chip cookie there, brownies-- never a whole bunch, but steady-- and then the nibbling came back, too--

That's why I love this website sooo much, the challenges really do help me. Being accountable to "Joe Schmoe," some stranger from Oshkosh, for whatever reason, tricks the old feeble mind of mine into doing something it won't do terribly well on its own.

So, once my May 1 challenge is over, I'll start another-- ha.

Had a great run, thanks about 3.8 miles. Had urges to go 4 miles, but pooped out. 3.8 is farthest I've ever gone, so I'm very satisfied-- and the running really does help firm my stomach-- it's amazing-- the progress in one month of running over nearly 9 months of taebo/turbo/step aerobics.

But, it must be said, I'm also doing the sit up challenge, too-- ha-- me and my challenges.

Must sleep-- :yawn: Stacey you're already 1/3 of the way to goal-- way to go--

Nite all!!!

Edited to add-- one treat I bought myself, by the way, is healthy and delicious and satisfies the sweet tooth-- nonfat vanilla yogurt, with frozen berries-- I make parfaits like McDonald's-- they're delicious, and only 175 calories if I take a full cup of yogurt (140) and 1/2 cup berries. Heading there now before bed-- I'm starving.
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Sorry ya lost me at no ice cream:laugh:

Hey ladies thanks so much for always being around when I am wanting to run from this site...screaming. No really, I have just stopped nursing (burning extra calories w/o work) and if I wanna eat what I usually eat I will have to get on the stinkin' exercise wagon. I told myself I was gonna do my TurboJam every other day, but wow, I so didn't. I guess now I'm gonna have to earn those Skinny Cows.
  • musicmom04
    musicmom04 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    hey everyone! just stopping by to say hi. i got a little out of control with eating this past weekend, but i guess it could've been worse...i also haven't worked out in like 4 days!! today, we have no where to go, so it's time to kick my own butt. i didn't see the link for this thread on the old one, so i'll post it on there if that's cool. have a great day, moms (and dads)
  • heather93277
    Options
    Pretty new to MFP and found this topic!

Like some of you, I had a bad, bad weekend (great but bad because of not exercising and eating too much chocolate). My kids finally go back to school today, so I'm going to hit it hard and get back into the groove of things. But my stomach may have other plans. I woke up to the sound of it growling!! HAHA.

Hope you all have a good Tuesday :flowerforyou:
  • staceyw37
    Options
    thanks beth! no link b/c dumb techie here didn't think of that. :noway: thanks for doing it!

sorry your weekend wasn't your best eating--it seems certain holidays are hard for everyone. on the plus side, since you didn't work out for days, your heart rate will kick up and you'll burn more calories this time around. at least that was for me! i burned 50 more cals doing same workout that i hadn't done for a few days--and i needed those extra cals!

enjoy your workout today, beth. you have accomplished so much already--you can succeed in going forward! :heart:
  • staceyw37
    Options
    Pretty new to MFP and found this topic!

Like some of you, I had a bad, bad weekend (great but bad because of not exercising and eating too much chocolate). My kids finally go back to school today, so I'm going to hit it hard and get back into the groove of things. But my stomach may have other plans. I woke up to the sound of it growling!! HAHA.

Hope you all have a good Tuesday :flowerforyou:

welcome, heather! this is a great thread--we are very supportive and attuned to the unique challenges moms/dads face. for ex, kids who are sick and how that throws our eating or exercising out of whack for a day or more. plus, we are good at sharing parenting advice/love too. so, welcome!

i read your profile and see that you have 3 kids. boys? girls?? i have girl (8.5), girl (almost 5) and boy (2+). i live in vegas and have also been married 12 yrs like you. it will be 13 in august.
    i also totally relate to your comment abt growing up thin and the total disconnect to the woman in the mirror now. for me, that was a huge motivation for me to change my habits. just wanted to match my outer with my inner picture.

congratulations on quitting smoking!! there are a # of mfp'ers dealing with that recent change, too. you can find support for that on this great site, too!

well...i should move on. i don't want #1 to be late for school AGAIN.
  • staceyw37
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    marla, thank you for your honesty. i know what you mean about the challenges--the 800 miles in 09 challenge is fun for me. it makes me work out on days i might otherwise not, just cuz i want to see that ticker move. :tongue: so i can see how the sweets and sit up challenges keep you engaged with your long-term goals.

melinda--stopping nursing must be hard enough. if it were me, i'd gradually get into exercise--like 20 minutes 3 days this week. then more days or more time next week. i thnk early success leads to better/more success. just a thought...

altogether, this thread is a HUGE help to me. thanks for being there! now i better get finished--15 min till van load up!
  • tazzy
    tazzy Posts: 197
    Options
    I am tired tired tired!!!!!!!

I bought a new bike at the weekend with a 2 seater trailer thing for my girls to sit in it is way cool looking I will post pick of them soon.

So here goes Sat bought bike and trailer out for an hour sunday sun was shining out for 2 - 3 hours got a puncture what a nightmare but rode a bonus 5 miles off road. Yesterday went out with hubby and kids off road etc 2 1/2 hours and today 2 hours plus yesterday I did shred and my normal workout and tody I just did shred as the backs of my thighs are killing me but still love my new bike the girls just chat away the whole time totally oblivious to the fact that they are heavy even on a mild incline it gets so hard at times that my legs burn like they are on fire but good scenery and the occasional downhill but with the wind in my hair and it gr8 fun I know exercise and fun i did just use the two words in the same sentence.

Kids are out playing Paige is asleep dinner is in the the oven we have gained a child for this affy my son wanted his friend to play so got another hour before I can send him home.

Hopefully will lose some weight this week really working my butt off. Gonna take tomorrow off or I think my legs will buckle under me though if the weather is good probably be tempted to go out on the bikes again gotta make the most of any good weather we usually get a crappy summer.

Only 7 weeks and 2 days til our vacation aarrrgghhh soooo much to do still.

Puppy due next week keep your fingers crossed that she has a puppy that we are after.

Thats me take care all
    Vicky
  • heather93277
    Options
    Thanks Stacey :happy:

I sorta threw my profile together.. it's pretty scattered in thought haha... guess I should update it hehe. My husband is 34, I'm 32, kids are: boy 10 (will be 11 the 20th of this month), boy 10 (just had b-day the 9th of this month), girl 8. LOVE the ages right now... wish I could freeze them :laugh: We live in central California.

I made my decision to make some changes in my life in March but this is the first time in my life that I've actually counted calories and such, so I don't really count last month and its slip ups and learning curve. :wink: I've been seriously going at this for 2 weeks now, and I've lost 4 lbs. so I'm right on target, although it sure feels like I've put a ton of effort in for such a little number hahaha... patience, I know...

You used the word "disconnect" with mind and body... perfect word. I constantly run into things, forgetting how wide I've gotten HAHAHA. sad. I would say my "weight problems" started when I lost my mom to suicide almost 5 years ago. 6 months later, I woke to horrible back pain and have had pain nearly every day since then. I have 5 herniated disks, 1 of which is torn, and tons of other back problems that would take a while to list.... I basically need a new back HAHA! :laugh: Anyway, it's amazing how the weight crept up on me but I figure it's taken nearly 5 years to get this way, so I need to allow myself time to get back to where I need to be. right?
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options

sorry your weekend wasn't your best eating--it seems certain holidays are hard for everyone. on the plus side, since you didn't work out for days, your heart rate will kick up and you'll burn more calories this time around. at least that was for me! i burned 50 more cals doing same workout that i hadn't done for a few days--and i needed those extra cals!

I'm hearing that. I got out my TJ dvd and usually will do the whole thing, but today I only did about 30 min. and was really feeling out of shape. How that happens in a week and I half I have no idea, but on the upside as you pointed out...I burned more calories than I would have in 30 min before. That's kinda cool?!
  • staceyw37
    Options
    just a good day to you all! yesterday i got a lot done at home and with exercise---and today, not so much. at least the house is pretty clean.
    well, that's all i got for now.

hope you folks are having a fine wednesday. :flowerforyou:
  • staceyw37
    Options
    i want to be the happy cheerleader, but not feeling it today. i'm disappointed that i keep going back to the sugar carbs, again AND again. :angry:

i know i just shouldn't buy them. i know i shouldn't start b/c i can't stop. and yet, again and again i do this to myself. i was ok up till that after school time (again--you've already heard me post this).
    i'm just venting--here b/c i'm too embarrassed to admit it anywhere else.
    i had 6 cups of cereal! 6! bowl after bowl!
    today was going to be my rest day, but after all that--i'm gonna have to do a dvd .
    basically i wound up at maintenance calories for the day, but i need to be less--to get these pounds gone and to make up for last week.
    i wish i knew why i sabotaged myself. i say i'm determined. i see/feel the changes. but the habits are still there. maybe that's just it--the habits are still there. hmmm.

thanks for letting me think aloud. don't need to post back--i know
  • writer4him
    writer4him Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Stacy,

I feel for you! I have done VERY badly this week also! I ate way too much on Easter..and then this week has been so busy and I have been out so much...I have eaten at McDonald's every day since Monday - and yesterday, I ate there for both breakfast AND lunch! Not good choices, either! Not to mention chocolate cookies today and some cake yesterday and candy on Monday. No good! I need to get back on track. I also have not been exercising. By some miracle, the scale was kind this morning but I have a feeling I will be up at least one pound tomorrow.

I am also embarrassed to admit it! Somehow we will get our motivation back!
  • mommachag
    mommachag Posts: 318
    Options
    ha! found you!

happy wednesday evening. Nice to "see" everyone here and doing ok.

ive had kind of an up/down week so far.

sunday I fit into the dress I bought for christmas. the dress that made me open my eyes to the fact that I had put on a bunch of weight. i bought it for 2$ and didn't bother to try it on. I figured it would be a little big but I knew I could just take it in. well i couldn't get it past my thighs!!!

<~~~see it fits now though

I made a healthy dinner of lamb (trimmed of pretty much all the fat) mushroom risotto, asparagus with garlic, sweet potatoes and salad. So it wasnt a terrible over the top meal. I had a small piece of custard pie and a serving of bread. only one glass of wine. So I did ok that day.

down side- my husband is working scary overtime (6am-10pm) and I am WAY over emotional. so since I am an emotional eater it's been ugly. I ordered chinese food yesterday. wonton soup and lo mein for me, pupu for two for the boys... well guess what I ate. yup chicken fingers,fried shrimp and ribs. along with the lo mein and stuff. ended the day 62 calories over. i was originally over by like 600 but I ran the stairs did squats while folding laundry and power cleaned.
    so dh took the lo mein to work, left me the fried stuff. :grumble: DAMN IT. well its gone now :embarassed: I have gotten it under control for the day and had a salad with tomatoes mozzarella and lamb.
    but I WANNA HAVE COOKIES!:sad:
    i kind of want to give up
    I am rethinking my goal weight.
    I am super tiny. (my ring size is a 3 and so is my shoe size) I am about 5 feet tall and my original goal was to get to 105. Do i need to be that low. is that stupid low? I have no idea anymore. What do you guys all think.
  • Marla64
    Options
    no time-- quick shout out to momma for her beautiful dress--

gotta fly!!