Oranges?

Options
How do you work out the calories in an orange. The packet says 39calories in 100g. An average orange weighs 200g with its skin on. Do I take the weight with or without the skin? Because without the skin, the orange would weigh a lot less.

Replies

• JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Never thought about that! I'd weigh it without the skin, for sure.
  • AshJasper
    AshJasper Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    unless you eat the skin you would need to weigh it without skin =p
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    without the skin
  • najla56
    najla56 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i always weigh orange w/out skin
  • swellen
    swellen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about the skin - because if I do that, I'm going to have to peel bananas, take the core out of apples, take the stone out of peaches... I don't believe we need to be THAT precise.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    That's one of the food items I' choose a size (small, medium, large) rather than an exact weight.
  • sbeisel1
    sbeisel1 Posts: 181
    Options
    without a food scale, Id say peel it. a food scale is on my to get list. MFP has listings of peel orange, small med, and large to choose from.
  • Lbrobt
    Lbrobt Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone...i agree with the one post saying we dont need to be THAT precise...but has anyone ever eatan and calculated a Honeybell orange....peeled,this monster fruit weighs 12 ounces...any ideas? wanna know if its worth it...and NO i cant eat just a half, lol, esp at that price..
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Never thought about that! I'd weigh it without the skin, for sure.

Yes, this. We don't eat the skin, so why weigh it?
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    How do you work out the calories in an orange. The packet says 39calories in 100g. An average orange weighs 200g with its skin on. Do I take the weight with or without the skin? Because without the skin, the orange would weigh a lot less.

Forget the skin, input them individually. 62 calories for a medium sized orange and 72 for a large one.

I eat upto 5 per day and am forever sticking the bloody things in my diary lol.

I luff me oranges :D

Edited to say: Actually I am eating one right this minute as I type this pmsl
  • jlambert77
    jlambert77 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The thing that I'm focusing on, is better food choices, overall. Pretty sure I didn't get to be my heaviest weight by eating an extra ounce or two..or even three, of fruit...it was the Doritos, chips, nachos, pizza, chinese food..etc etc etc that were the culprits.
    Relax a little with how accurate you're being with your calories(I see this SO much on here...) Seriously..eating fruit and veggies isn't what makes people gain weight. :)
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything on my scale that doesn't have a specific serving size (fiber crackers from Kellogg's= 18 crackers. etc). I got my food scale super cheap on Black Friday. Name brand and was only $19.

Totally worth it for sanity sake.

Next purchase for me is a HRM!!! :)
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    DecemberChild: I'd have sores in my mouth if I tried that!! But I could do that with any kind of berries. Loves me some berries!!

Julie :)
  • heyghoge
    heyghoge Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    without the skin.

with fiddly fruits that don't separate well from the skins, like grapefruit or kiwi, i will weigh the entire fruit, scoop and eat the flesh, and then weigh the leftover, subtracting that from the total to get what i actually ate.

and to those who say it doesn't matter - to each their own. i enjoy more precision, personally, especially for things like bananas & when i'm being careful with macros/sugar/various vitamins, and sometimes estimating can be way off. i can see how it would seem like too much, though.
  • IWillWinSkinny
    IWillWinSkinny Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't waste time worrying about an orange. It's good for you! I would estimate about 45 cals for a large orange
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Obviously you would not weigh the skin...I would suggest investing in a food scale. Oranges are generally the same size if you buy in a bag so weigh one and you will always know generally what it weighs. I would do this with all bagged fruit and veggies...

Im super anal so I weigh every nut!! lol....
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Just pic the large on in the MFP database. Why split hairs on an orange?
  • perrybucsdad
    perrybucsdad Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree with Gorilla as that's what I do. Too much thinking makes my head hurt. Let's make this fun and easy.... Now if they could just crow a bar code on them, we would be all set. :-)
  • maryjay51
    Options
    i use the food diary as a guideline..doesnt matter to me if im spot on with calories because i work out so much. in regard to an orange, keep it simple..is it small,medium or large?
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: usda nutritional database has the accurate weights and measures for everything. One florida orange without the peel is 65 calories