working out with kids...

Hi there! I have 2 kids ( 2 years and 8 months) and sometimes find it hard to find the time to work out. My son and I just joined a "salsa baby" class, where I work out with him strapped to my chest in a baby sling, however the class is only once a week. The other day I decided to throw him in the sling, put on some salsa music, and dance around the house! This kept him happy and my daughter (after looking at me like was crazy for a few moments) decided to join in the fun! I did this for half an hour and worked up quite a sweat - my son is over 20 lbs so just having him strapped to my chest helped a lot I'm sure!

Anyways, just an idea for those mom's out there who are looking for new ways to GET MOVIN'!! :smile:

Replies

• mjb343
    mjb343 Posts: 8
    Hi there! I have 2 kids ( 2 years and 8 months) and sometimes find it hard to find the time to work out. My son and I just joined a "salsa baby" class, where I work out with him strapped to my chest in a baby sling, however the class is only once a week. The other day I decided to throw him in the sling, put on some salsa music, and dance around the house! This kept him happy and my daughter (after looking at me like was crazy for a few moments) decided to join in the fun! I did this for half an hour and worked up quite a sweat - my son is over 20 lbs so just having him strapped to my chest helped a lot I'm sure!

Anyways, just an idea for those mom's out there who are looking for new ways to GET MOVIN'!! :smile:
  • amandacain1997
    amandacain1997 Posts: 22 Member
    That sounds like so much fun! I too am quite fond of working out with my child! She is 20 months old and LOVES to dance! We have lots of fun trying out new dances and she loves to try to imitate them! It is hilarious! Salsa dancing sounds fun, though I think she is too big to strap on my chest! lol!:laugh:
    I also have a walking video that I do periodically and she likes to "march" around the room while I'm doing it! Too funny! One of my favorite workouts is pushing her around in her "tot rod." It is a car with a handle on the back. She loves to pretend she's driving and "honks" at cars as they go by. It's been nice hear in Iowa the last couple of days so we've actually been able to get outside!!!:happy:
  • I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 10 month old and I also have a hard time fitting in exercise every day. My oldest girl likes to exercise with mommy, so if she's the only one awake I can get away with usually a 30 minute cardio workout (either Tae-Bo, DDR, or some kind of cardio dance video). My daughter loves watching the Wiggles so I can usually get in a pretty good workout doing the dances to all their songs!! and that's something I can do with the baby too! she loves to be held while I jump and dance around!! I've often thought about writing to the Wiggles and suggesting they make a children's workout video!!!
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    What about getting a zany workout video like any of the RIchard Simmons videos and calling it the dance hour? The music is good, you can follow along and the kiddies can just dance to the music.
    Sounds like fun to me!!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    I don't know where you live but if the weather is agreeable get yourself a good, sturdy double jogging stroller and go to town. When my kids where that age I would walk about three miles pushing them. we would always take some bread with us and go feed the ducks at a nearby pond. Then later in the day we would go out again for an afternoon stroll. They loved it. I did that until my oldest started complaining about being too big for a stroller. Now, we go on bike rides together...I can totally outride them too..I LOVE IT!
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member

thanks i am always looking for new ways to work out with my kids. My 2 girls are the same age as your kids. I do have a double stroller and am going to start going to the mall not to shop but just to walk with them. I am also considering starting a ymca membership, so I can take them to swimming intro classes and work out myself. seems like a good idea since they have child care and maybe I can actually get into a routine that i will be able to stick to.
  • We had a great commercial on TV in Australia where the mum is dancing to a Wiggles DVD and her daughter is just standing there with her mouth open! haha.
    Good idea though - those Wiggles work really hard in their dance routine and the songs are just so catchy!!!
  • vicky1
    vicky1 Posts: 236
    my kids are little angels this morning the youngest 17mnth was asleep in her pram and my eldest nearly 3 borrowed daddies ipod and sat with headphones on watching mickey mouse club house I had an amazing 40 mins on the elliptical every time I looked at them I just gave a little bit more if they can be that good I had to give everything we are going to do some sticking and painting this afternoon as a treat.

I also do squats when picking up their toys 1 by 1 it really works your lower body.

Congrats to everyone who fits exercise time in with little ones we all deserve a pat on the back because it can be soooooo hard sometimes.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: