Raw vegetables-how safe?

Options
I love raw vegetables. I love to snack with raw carrots and use raw spinach instead of lettuce on my salads. However, how safe is this? Sometimes my stomach feels funny esp after eating the carrots. I usually eat 2 at a time.

Replies

• paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    provided you wash and peel them there should be no problem, however if you are still a bit dubious you can buy (chlorine) tablets to wash salad items and the like

link http://www.hygiene4less.co.uk/chlorine-tablets/index.htm
  • writergal86
    Options
    I love raw vegetables. I love to snack with raw carrots and use raw spinach instead of lettuce on my salads. However, how safe is this? Sometimes my stomach feels funny esp after eating the carrots. I usually eat 2 at a time.

I actually just watched a documentary called "Food Matters" and they talked in depth about how raw vegetables are supposed to be better than cooked ones. They even have a "raw food diet." So I have been looking up about this stuff lately and what I have read is that some people have problems digesting raw veggies which might be why your stomach hurts after eating them. Here is a list I found of ways that are supposed to help

"Include fermented foods and drinks in your diet so you can build a healthy inner ecosystem to help you digest your food and assimilate the nutrients. Cultured vegetables allow you to get all the benefits of fermented foods and raw vegetables.
    Chew your vegetables completely — at least 20 times per bite.
    Bake, simmer, sauté or lightly steam your vegetables to make them more digestible.
    Blend your vegetables in a raw vegetable smoothie
    Take Assist Enzymes to boost your digestion
    Also it had a list of veggies you SHOULDN'T eat completely raw, "includes broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, collards and brussel sprouts — all members of the cruciferous family that in their raw state are considered to be “cooling” and suppressing to your thyroid." These ones they say are usually always safe

Cucumbers
    Celery (a high-fiber vehicle for your favorite dip)
    Carrots (still difficult for some)
    Red, yellow and orange bell pepper (not green, which is typically immature and difficult to digest)
    Summer squashes like yellow squash and zucchini.

I hope this helps! :)
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options

I actually just watched a documentary called "Food Matters" and they talked in depth about how raw vegetables are supposed to be better than cooked ones. They even have a "raw food diet." So I have been looking up about this stuff lately and what I have read is that some people have problems digesting raw veggies which might be why your stomach hurts after eating them. Here is a list I found of ways that are supposed to help

"Include fermented foods and drinks in your diet so you can build a healthy inner ecosystem to help you digest your food and assimilate the nutrients. Cultured vegetables allow you to get all the benefits of fermented foods and raw vegetables.
    Bake, simmer, sauté or lightly steam your vegetables to make them more digestible.
    Also it had a list of veggies you SHOULDN'T eat completely raw, "includes broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, collards and brussel sprouts — all members of the cruciferous family that in their raw state are considered to be “cooling” and suppressing to your thyroid." These ones they say are usually always safe

Cucumbers
    Red, yellow and orange bell pepper (not green, which is typically immature and difficult to digest)

thanks alot. That was very helpfull. I will look up the documentary as well. Will try chewing better. This might be my biggest problem.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    provided you wash and peel them there should be no problem, however if you are still a bit dubious you can buy (chlorine) tablets to wash salad items and the like

link http://www.hygiene4less.co.uk/chlorine-tablets/index.htm
    Thanks alot Paul.
  • Shoonya53
    Options
    Thank you very much Paul. Was on the right track all along. :smiley:
  • eapple87
    eapple87 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I soak all my produce in vinegar before I put it away. I also have a little green brush that I carved "veg" into specifically for meticulously cleaning my veggies and fruits. Hands are all over those apples and hands are so gross and germy.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the individual.
    Of course you should wash your raw veggies thoroughly but I have discomfort if I eat certain raw veggies such as spinach and broccoli. If I steam or sautee them, I feel fine.
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    i eat 150g raw carrots most days
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Raw cabbage gives me gas pains. Otherwise I was them and much away.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Certain veggies actually are more nutritious cooked. The cooking makes them easier to digest and absorb the nutrients. The most common ones that are better cooked are: carrots, tomatoes, dark leafy vegetables, and the brassica (aka cruciferous vegetables) like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussels sprouts, kohlrabi, etc.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Certain veggies actually are more nutritious cooked. The cooking makes them easier to digest and absorb the nutrients. The most common ones that are better cooked are: carrots, tomatoes, dark leafy vegetables, and the brassica (aka cruciferous vegetables) like broccoli, auliflower, cabbage, brussels sprouts, kohlrabi, etc.

I was waiting for you to show up and post this. I was too lazy to do it. ;)
  • healthygal95
    healthygal95 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    CallmeSbo wrote: »

Cucumbers

thanks alot. That was very helpfull. I will look up the documentary as well. Will try chewing better. This might be my biggest problem.

Feel free to watch the documentary if you wish. I've seen it and found it very motivational to eat less processed foods and more whole foods. I think it's general message is a positive one, which is to eat well and love your body, but take their science with a grain of salt. I tried to find what studies or evidence there was behind there research, and I couldn't find very much besides anecdotal evidence.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you don't have a mild allergy to carrots? I've eaten eggs all my life and felt funny in the stomach but always attributed to something else. Turns out I'm mildly allergic to egg whites.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Certain veggies actually are more nutritious cooked. The cooking makes them easier to digest and absorb the nutrients. The most common ones that are better cooked are: carrots, tomatoes, dark leafy vegetables, and the brassica (aka cruciferous vegetables) like broccoli, auliflower, cabbage, brussels sprouts, kohlrabi, etc.

This is good to know. I prefer most of these cooked anyway. Especially spinach. Uncooked spinach and I have... issues. Pity, though. I like raw carrots and tomatoes.

• earlnabby
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

I was waiting for you to show up and post this. I was too lazy to do it. ;)

uh, oh. I am getting predictable.

• earlnabby
    Options

This is good to know. I prefer most of these cooked anyway. Especially spinach. Uncooked spinach and I have... issues. Pity, though. I like raw carrots and tomatoes.

Doesn't mean that they are not nutritious raw, just that you can get the maximum benefit from them cooked.

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread guys!
    Zombie.gif