Insanity and weighlifing?

Options
Can you do them both? I weighlift 3 times a week, and I'm training for a marathon atm (running 4 times a week). But I want to add insanity, because when I did it before it made me so much fitter and improved my running speed more than any other exercise. But some insanity workouts are resistance workouts (only bodyweight though), and I was wondering if its going to hurt more than it's going to help,as I understand you need 48hrs of rest beestween strenght training? Any advice please? Thanks!

Replies

• trixirn
    trixirn Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Insanity is mostly cardio. I don't think it will hurt. I am not a runner though.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I, personally, couldn't do both. I found that the intense cardio was eating into my strength gains and had to back off on the cardio portions. You may be different tho'...You could give it a try and see...I noticed losses after the first week.
  • jmatthews75
    jmatthews75 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Its going to be tough. Although, I was sick as a dog over the last week and I still did Insanity. I just kinda walked through the motions. My HRM didn't go as high, but I got a better burn muscle wise... As in I actually felt like I was getting a strength workout in. I think the program can work for you even if you half *kitten* it and just go through it doing the motions slow and in good form.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I, personally, couldn't do both. I found that the intense cardio was eating into my strength gains and had to back off on the cardio portions. You may be different tho'...You could give it a try and see...I noticed losses after the first week.
    I'm not really looking to increase my strenght (maybe a little), I weighlift to preserve muscle, as long distance running tends to burn a lot of muscle mass... And I would do insanity in the morning, gym in the evening...
    The problem I have is whether my muscles will get enough rest with both insanity and strenght training...
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I'm not really looking to increase my strenght (maybe a little), I weighlift to preserve muscle, as long distance running tends to burn a lot of muscle mass... And I would do insanity in the morning, gym in the evening...
    The problem I have is whether my muscles will get enough rest with both insanity and strenght training...

I only do 30 Day Shred on the weekends when I'm "resting" , if at all. I tried doing it in between strength training and it was overkill. Too much leg and glute work for me to keep doing squats & deadlifts. Jillian had to go.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options

I only do 30 Day Shred on the weekends when I'm "resting" , if at all. I tried doing it in between strength training and it was overkill. Too much leg and glute work for me to keep doing squats & deadlifts. Jillian had to go.
    30DS is a bit different, it's mostly strenght... I dont want to sacrifice my performance in weightlifing... Might just give it a go and see how it goes :/