Truth About Fat Pills

Options
The Truth about Fat Pills.
From the AARP Research team. January Issue 2008
Don’t expect dramatic results from today’s anti-obesity medications. Canadian researchers reviewed 30 trials of three weight loss drugs – orlistat (marketed as Xenical and as over-the-counter product Alli), sibutramine (Meridia) and rimonabant (not available in the United States). The nearly 20,000 people in the trials weighed an average of 220 pounds. Their weight loss? An average of 5 percent of total weight, or less then 11 pounds. “Most patients will remain considerably obese or over-weight even with the drug treatment,” concluded the reviewers, led by Raj Padwal, M.D., of Canada’s University of Alberta. “These results are indeed modest,” says Gary D. Foster, director of Temple University’s Center for Obesity Research and Education. “You don’t lose 50, 60, 70 pounds of body weight.” On the other hand, Foster says, even a drop of 5 percent of body weight can improve blood pressure and levels of blood sugar and cholesterol. The study was reported in the Dec. 8 British Medical Journal.

Replies

• diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Don’t expect dramatic results from today’s anti-obesity medications. Canadian researchers reviewed 30 trials of three weight loss drugs – orlistat (marketed as Xenical and as over-the-counter product Alli), sibutramine (Meridia) and rimonabant (not available in the United States). The nearly 20,000 people in the trials weighed an average of 220 pounds. Their weight loss? An average of 5 percent of total weight, or less then 11 pounds. “Most patients will remain considerably obese or over-weight even with the drug treatment,” concluded the reviewers, led by Raj Padwal, M.D., of Canada’s University of Alberta. “These results are indeed modest,” says Gary D. Foster, director of Temple University’s Center for Obesity Research and Education. “You don’t lose 50, 60, 70 pounds of body weight.” On the other hand, Foster says, even a drop of 5 percent of body weight can improve blood pressure and levels of blood sugar and cholesterol. The study was reported in the Dec. 8 British Medical Journal.
  • Widdy1961
    Widdy1961 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi

I was put on Orlistat by my GP and they do help, so long as you do not continue to stuff fatty and unhealthy foods into yourself.

All that Orlistat does is stop you from absorbing fats from food, they just pass right through and if you do eat foods with high fat content, then you will wish you had not, as you will need to be a permanent resident of the washroom (this I know to my cost, 3 hours sitting at a friends). :blushing:

Using Orlistat I lost around 16lbs, unfortunately they are not recommended for permanent use and when they stopped them, I gained weight again (maybe because I could eat fatty foods again).

My GP told me that they were more of a psychological treatment, you know when taking them that, if you do eat fatty foods, then you will suffer, so you tend to eat more healthily..........which you can do without drugs anyway.

Widdy :smile:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options

great info.
    Thanks diann
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    if you do eat fatty foods, then you will suffer, so you tend to eat more healthily..

I have a huge problem with this statement. (Not with you personally Widdy, but with the reputation attached to fat). Fat does *not* make you fat, and fat is *not* unhealthy. You NEED fat in your diet! You need it to absorb fat-soluble vitamins! You need it for energy! You need it to protect your organs!

What you SHOULD be avoiding is refined carbohydrates and trans fat, which cause high insulin levels and low HDL cholesterol, respectively. "Alli" can't tell whether you're eating trans fat or monounsaturated fat, and it expels both. But you can munch some fat-free, cause-a-diabetic-coma sugar cookies until the cows come home. :grumble:
  • Widdy1961
    Widdy1961 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi songbyrdsweet

Yep.....being Diabetic myself I really ought to have made it clear that fat means saturated, trans fat etc.:blushing:

From what my GP told me about Orlistat, they do NOT stop all fats just the bad ones......the point I really wanted to make is........you don't need fancy pills to lose weight................, eat properly, watch the calories etc and excersise..........leave the pills on the shelf.

Widdy1961 :smile: