Other than losing lb's, how do you measure progress?

Options
I am only losing maybe .5 pound a week. Since pounds off move slow how else do you know your on the right track. I don't feel like giving up, just don't want go another 5 weeks and not progress, because I was doing something wrong. My pants fit better, I do feel like my body is changing but after 5 weeks I thought I would have dropped a pant size or more than 3 lbs. So worried, I am eating too much, too little,not the right stuff,etc. my head spins sometimes.

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds total and averaged out to a 0.5 lb/week loss- it took me just about one year. Some people can lose weight quickly, others like me and you, not so much. Go by measurements more than the scale and for me, pants were always my big indication on how I was doing. Formerly tight pants start to fit, pants that fit me got looser...they say it is best to lose weight slowly, as there is better likelihood you'll keep it off. You just have to step away from the scale sometimes and recognize that you are losing weight, just not as fast as you'd like. It usually took me about 10 pounds to go down a pants size. It was a slow process but very much worth it. You are losing, so keep it up and don't lose that motivation!
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    It's always a good idea to take pictures of yourself. I try to take pics about once a month, in the same bikini, standing in the same position, front back and side. That way you can see if you're toning up even if you aren't losing weight; or, later in the game you'll see if maybe you're losing too much weight or getting into the dreaded "skinny fat" territory. I save the pics on my computer and name the picture after the date and my current weight. For example if I were taking pics today I would call them 21612front146. Puts them in the right order and then I can easily look back at them and know where I was at.

It's also good to focus on fitness goals. Run a faster mile, bench press a higher weight, etc. You will feel much more accomplished than if you simply went by weight, which is prone to fluctuation that has nothing to do with how well you're doing with diet and exercise.

Remember that .5 lb/week is nothing to sneeze at! It might take 10 weeks to lose 5 lbs, but you WILL be 5 lbs lighter and it has a pretty good chance of staying off.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Take pictures
    Take measurements
    Have a fitness goal as well and progress towards that.
    Calculate your body fat %
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    how clothes fit. before I started I was wearing 5-6XL shirts. Now I fit into 2XL. Also running. Before it would take me 1 hr. to complete 1 mile. All walking with numerous breaks. Now I can complete almost 4 miles in under 1 hr. I still take breaks every so often but it's defintely alot better than when I first started.
  • lucywhatford
    lucywhatford Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I had a bad couple of weeks and put on a couple of pounds, but I have still realised that some of my old clothes are starting to fit again. I am in smaller jeans and smaller tops, so try not to worry about the numbers too much and look at your clothing!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Take pictures
    Take measurements

This is what I do. And since I do P90X2, i write down my reps and see if I increase them.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Take pictures
    Take measurements

Can I ask what you Body Fat measurement method/calculation is?
  • erbujaki80
    Options
    I go by how my clothes fit and how I feel...I lose weight very slowly, but I can feel/see changes fairly quickly. I don't let myself rely on the scale because it's very discouraging!
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    By how I feel. I have fibromyalgia, chronic back pain & osteopenia. Keeping the weight down & the exercise up is keeping me functional and out of bed.
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    How my clothes fit
    How I look naked.
  • mum23boys
    Options
    Take pictures
    Take measurements

I, too, am curious how you calculate your body fat %. I'd love some info.
  • mum23boys
    Options
    I, too, am curious as to how you calculate your body fat %.
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters... I've been on this site since Oct 2011 and I've only lost 6.4lbs.. What's even more crazy is that I've been gaining and losing the same 3lbs... It sucks but I refuse to give up... I've been playing with my calorie intake and what I've been doing for exercise... As of 2 Jan 2012 I've been lifting heavier weights and I know I've lost a few inches... My clothes fit better and I feel leaner... Losing the weight slower will pay off in the end.. We just have to stay focused and determined!!! :smile:
  • kkester63
    Options
    The look in my wife's eyes every day when I do my best no matter what the silly scale says.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Take pictures
    Take measurements

Can I ask what you Body Fat measurement method/calculation is?

I use this one. While it may not be 100% accurate, by using it on a weekly basis, you will be able to watch a trend develop.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I lost at the rate of about 1 pound per week and was satisfied with that. But I also measured progress by the way my clothes fit, I kept a couple pairs that got too big and sometimes I throw them on just as a reminder of how far I've come. I took measurements and kept a spreadsheet to monitor that progress. When I look at my total inches lost I feel great! I also measure progress by how much more energy I have, how many fewer allergy episodes I have (I think sweating it out in the gym helps my sinuses). I also flex my new muscles in the mirror sometimes to remind myself how much more "defined" my body is. I check out the labels on my clothes and see the new smaller numbers. There's a whole bunch of ways to measure your progress. Just dont' get discouraged about how lond it takes. Even at a slow pace, eventually you will get there and IT WILL BE SO WORTH IT! Don't give up :)
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    The look in my wife's eyes every day when I do my best no matter what the silly scale says.

That's so sweet :heart:
  • _Ren
    _Ren Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I measure mine on how good I feel!
  • samandlucysmum
    Options

:smile:
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I use this one. While it may not be 100% accurate, by using it on a weekly basis, you will be able to watch a trend develop.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/

Thanks