Doomsday Prepper

Options
VTXJOCKEY
VTXJOCKEY Posts: 362 Member
I saw that show on TV last night. Seems like some people really go to the extreme as far as preparing for the worst. I'm just curious as to what the you think about it. Are we going to face the end of time or something close to it? How many of you have thought about this and are doing some sort of prepping? Or, is it a waste of time because if something were to happen, our government will take care of us? Post your thoughts.

Replies

• aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    if the worlds gonna end, whats the point?
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I'm storing fat so I can live longer...
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I'm storing fat so I can live longer...

Damn. That was good. :laugh: :drinker:
  • VTXJOCKEY
    VTXJOCKEY Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Laughing @ raevynn. Funny!
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    To be honest with you, if it's going to be all fire and brimstone and what not, I'm not so sure I'd want to rough it til I made it.

We are prepared for short term emergencies like earthquakes, flood, etc. We have a substantial first aid kit, water for a week, and a well stocked pantry. We probably have more than your average person, but we are in a somewhat remote area, so help may be slow.

I'll leave the rest of it to them. Honestly, I think it's more of a hobby for them if anything. They aren't hurting anyone, so what's it matter to me?
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Not being snarky but I have found worrying about things that are hypothetical and beyond our control is a bit pointless.
    The bottom line is that we can only prepare for what we know and in all the crap hit the fan scenarios the situation would be completely unknown until a reality.
    That isn`t to say don`t be prepared for possible short term emergencies with food and supplies for a couple weeks to even a month (thinking natural disaster) but don`t waste time trying to figure out how a "Mad Max" world will be like.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I watched an episode for the first time this weekend. It was...interesting! I agree with mrsdizzyd - we are prepped for short term emergencies, water and food for ~ 2 weeks, cash on hand, enough gear to outfit a small army, and medical kits and training to handle most small emergencies. Those people were just whack-a-doodle, but I guess everyone needs a hobby :tongue:
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I have enough food and water in my basement to last until 12/20/21012. We'll all be dead on the 21st.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    We've got 3 day emergency supplies set up. We're working on a 2 week. We're on well water, so we have a generator that will give us water in the event of power outage. We're working on proper food storage, should we be unable to get to a grocery store. And basic first aid. We've also got protection and know how to use it. Our goals are to eventually have 3-6 month emergency supplies, maybe even a year. Anything beyond that would be near impossible for us to manage on our own. And frankly, that would mean very bad things indeed.

We really enjoy watching the show. But some of the people on the show...I'm not so sure I want as spokesperson for our "cause."
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I Or, is it a waste of time because if something were to happen, our government will take care of us? Post your thoughts.

Personally, I DO NOT want the government to "Take Care" of my family. Think about what a Great job they did "taking care" of the people after hurricane Katrina.

What is the worst that can happen if you stock up on supplies? You have extra food to eat in case of emergency, or job loss. Win Win.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    emergency kits - which reminds me, i need to replenish the water - and first aid. canned goods are never lonely at our house. but i do feel like i've let preparations for disasters fall lax. being broke will do that. LOL.

i've given SERIOUS consideration to going sub-terranian. in fact there was a decommissioned missle silo in the Dakotas that i was sorely tempted to buy. but that has more to do with extreme photosensativity than with doomsday planning.

and also, i'm getting fit. zombie apoc is one of my reasons for being here. zombies hate fast food.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Or, is it a waste of time because if something were to happen, our government will take care of us? Post your thoughts.

Waste of time because you're probably right, the government probably will kill off the rest of us so it really wouldn't matter.
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Waste of time because only God knows the hour and He is in control of it all. There is hope in Jesus!
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    They predicted 4 inches of snow a couple of weeks ago so there is no water, bread, milk available at the supermarket for at least another week or so I'll have to wait to start my preparations!!!
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    The government take care of our family...That's a funny one. LOL I have thought about emergency preparation and have things to take a through a few days but no major planning. But if something ever happened I would definitely be self sufficient.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Shotguns, ammo, ample canned food, lots of water. 'Nuff said.

JM
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Waste of time because only God knows the hour and He is in control of it all. There is hope in Jesus!

EXACTLY! Besides, I didn't get fat by storing up supplies of food.... I EAT IT!!
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    Options
    Some of it is reasonable, some is ridiculous. And some of those people weren't just prepping, you could tell they were ITCHING for an armageddon. Finally, an end to their boring, mundane 24/7, and the beginning of an exciting new era where if they hold out against the slavering atheist zombie hordes long enough no doubt jebus will descend to bring them to paradise which will be a cross between Wal-mart and Dave & Busters
  • Aleciajones
    Options
    We've just started prepping. Better to be safe than sorry, and yes it is much like a hobby. You can prep for what you think may happen which is why some go to such extremes...to cover anything and everything likely. The government will not take care of us, if something catastrophic happens. Again it all comes down to better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Grow your own food and learn to preserve it, learn to hunt, fish and take care of you and yours. No I don't think therre will be a zombie apocalypse (fun to pretend though!). Oh and yes my family likes the show.
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options

EXACTLY! Besides, I didn't get fat by storing up supplies of food.... I EAT IT!!

LOL