"Healthy" lasagne recipes?

Options
2»

Replies

• healthyJenn0915
    Options
    I don't know that it is ever healthy, but I make mine with whole grain lasagna noodles, extra lean ground turkey, low fat mozarella, non fat cottage cheese, and Newman's own marinara sauce. I made it for some friends for dinner a couple months ago and they said they couldn't really tell that I used anything different!
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I make a polenta lasagna that's really good. I got the recipe from Oxygen Magazine. It has polenta, firm tofu, low fat ricotta cheese, chopped spinach, roasted red peppers, marinara sauce, and a little parmesan cheese. I don't have the recipe here with me at work, but I'm sure you could Google it and find it. It's delicious and super filling.
  • busymom115
    Options
    I believe that if you make it with whole wheat pasta sheets, use ground turkey instead of beef, add finely chopped vegetables ( carrots, spinach, celery etc) to your marinara sauce, skip the ridotta cheese and instead splurge and top it with real mozzarella instead. I think that it's quite heaalthy as long as you use portion control, for example eat a large leafy salad before your portion of lasagne and you will feel full.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Easy peasy.

Swap the mounds of melted cheese for bechamel (made with skim), and only put a layer of shredded cheese on the very top.

Use whole wheat pasta sheets

Cans of roasted diced tomatoes + herbs instead of jarred marinara (too much added sugar) - or make your own

Load up with meaty veg like eggplant, mushrooms, ect.

If you want meat, use chicken sausage for great flavor in small quantity.

OH! And swap out a couple pasta layers with long sliced zucchini or eggplant.

Thanks for posting cause that's the way I do it. The bechamel sauce adds alot of creamyness to it. I make my own lasagna noodles, that way I know exactly what is going into it. Making your own marinara sauce isn't rocket science, and with practice should only take a couple of minutes.

I occasionaly used to burn my sauce when I used canned tomatoe sauces that have glucose/fructose/sugar in them. A little amount of sugar is okay in order to cut the acidity of the tomatoe sauce, but not to the extent most packaged sauces have in them.

I mix low fat mozzarella with low fat shredded cheddar for the top (only layer) of cheese. I also enjoy using meaty mushrooms like portabella's as a sub for meat or an addition to it.

Haven't tried the eggplant sub for the noodles yet. No doubt it would work great, but then again I would have no use for my pasta machine after that.

Happy Chefing

;D
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • Meiplé
    Options
    i have made this butternut squash lasagne so many times. so yummy

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/516525/mary-berry-s-butternut-squash-lasagne
  • cottagegal1
    cottagegal1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I use zucchini in place of noodles and is very good
  • StrawberrySt
    Options
    Free-form vegetable lasagne with pesto

Ingredients (serves 4)

300g haloumi cheese
    2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    2 red capsicums
    2 medium eggplants, cut into 1cm-thick slices
    4 vine-ripened tomatoes
    12 x 10cm squares of fresh lasagne
    1 cup fresh pesto (see related recipe)
    100g mixed salad leaves

Method

Slice the haloumi cheese into 1/2cm-thick slices. Combine half the olive oil with the garlic, brush over the haloumi slices, cover and set aside to marinate.

Brush the vegetables with the remaining olive oil. Heat a chargrill plate and chargrill the capsicums until the skins are black and charred. Place them in a sealed plastic bag and set aside to sweat for 10 minutes (this helps to lift the skin) then peel and discard the skin.

Chargrill eggplant in batches and stack in a pile to help them cook through. Chargrill the tomatoes quickly on both sides. (All the vegetables can be cooked in advance and reheated later.)

Bring a pan of salted water to the boil, add the lasagne sheets in 3 batches and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent them sticking together. Drain and place in a bowl of cold water to cool.

Preheat the oven to 170°C.

Grill the haloumi cheese for 1 minute each side until crisp on the outside and molten inside.

Layer the vegetables, haloumi and pasta sheets in 4 piles, brushing each layer with a little pesto. Carefully transfer to a greased baking tray, cover with aluminium foil and heat for 5 minutes (they are served warm not hot). Just before serving, tuck a few salad leaves between the layers and top with any remaining pesto.

From this website. YUM!!

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/6256/free+form+vegetable+lasagne+with+pesto
  • Shyn6409
    Options
    I also use fat free cottage cheese in place of ricotta. It tastes exactly the same in my opinion. I also use low fat mozzarella and parmesean. In place of ground beef I use shredded chicken, I have have ground turkey and its good too. I use whole wheat pasta and hunts sugar free tomato sauce. With all of these adjustments my lasagna comes out to 202 calories and its always a big hit!
  • lisa2826
    Options
    Go to emilybites.com she has great recipes. Try the lasagne cups. We love the taco cupcakes and the French dip cupcakes.!!