couch to 5k

couch to 5k, how do u log it for exercise? do u make your own exercise called that, or do u just add running and walking ?.....and how do u like the couch to 5k routine?

Replies

• kgarman
    kgarman Posts: 61 Member
    I log it as cardio and enter my own stats in, but I use a heart rate monitor for cal. burn, so it's fairly accurate.

As for the C25k programs, they're awesome. The first time I lost a ton of weight (50lbs) I used it to work up to about 5 miles per run. I'm now using a C210k program and then a 10k to half marathon to train for a half marathon in September.

The thing I will tell you is what I'd tell anyone else. Follow the program to a T. Do not do more than the program suggests. Reason being that running is high impact. High impact exercise can lead to injuries if you're not careful, and most of the running injuries just take a lot of time to heal. So really stick to the time/distance intervals with your program. Once you complete the program, then you can add distances, etc.

The other thing I will tell you is don't worry about speed or time. Set two goals for yourself - one long term and one short term. My long term goal is to simply finish the half marathon. The short term goal is to get through a 4 mile run with ease. Continually adjust the short term goal. Also, don't worry if you can't run all the distances or times. Walk if you have to. Just complete the work out.

The two most mentally taxing sports I've particpated in are golf and running. So make sure you get your head right. If you have a bad run... so what? Keep going through it. In the beginning, you're going to want to die and probabaly swear at yourself while running. Then at some point it just simply becomes easier and enjoyable.
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    I log it as cardio and enter my own stats in, but I use a heart rate monitor for cal. burn, so it's fairly accurate.

As for the C25k programs, they're awesome. The first time I lost a ton of weight (50lbs) I used it to work up to about 5 miles per run. I'm now using a C210k program and then a 10k to half marathon to train for a half marathon in September.

The thing I will tell you is what I'd tell anyone else. Follow the program to a T. Do not do more than the program suggests. Reason being that running is high impact. High impact exercise can lead to injuries if you're not careful, and most of the running injuries just take a lot of time to heal. So really stick to the time/distance intervals with your program. Once you complete the program, then you can add distances, etc.

The other thing I will tell you is don't worry about speed or time. Set two goals for yourself - one long term and one short term. My long term goal is to simply finish the half marathon. The short term goal is to get through a 4 mile run with ease. Continually adjust the short term goal. Also, don't worry if you can't run all the distances or times. Walk if you have to. Just complete the work out.

The two most mentally taxing sports I've particpated in are golf and running. So make sure you get your head right. If you have a bad run... so what? Keep going through it. In the beginning, you're going to want to die and probabaly swear at yourself while running. Then at some point it just simply becomes easier and enjoyable.

Great post. I'm on Week 2 Day 2.

I 'create an exercise' and log what C25K shows I burned. It may not be 100% accurate but I'm sure it's close enough without actually wearing a heart rate monitor.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    I log it as walking at the two different speeds I uses. I'm a really slow jogger.
    Such a great program! I made one into a 13 week program for myself, cause I'm slow. And never liked to run either. But I'm enjoying that feeling of freedom during my jog intervals. And it works, no matter how fast or how slow you push through the program. No such thing as doing it wrong!