Advice on where to start....

I am interested in adding strength training to my cardio, but I am not sure where to even start. Can anyone suggest routine/weights for a beginner? I am new to this. Thank You!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• betsyr13
    betsyr13 Posts: 45 Member
    Do you have access to a gym with machines and/or free weights or are you going to try this at home? Either way, there may be some videos on youtube to show you how to do each exercise in a basic routine. I know sparkpeople.com has exercise demo videos and will give you a strength training plan if you ask for one.
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    bodybuilding.com has excellent info, including pics and videos and all the info on where they work. ExRx.net is another one.

There is no one size fits all. But the general rule of thumb are as follows.

Never work a particular muscle group more than once every other day, or if possible every 3rd day. EX: M, TH or T, F I switch it up, based on if I notice I'm struggling. Every other day usually works, unless I take on a little much.

ALWAYS eat healthy proteins, fish, lean chicken, etc etc. BEFORE you resort to supplements. Whey shakes can really help, but shouldn't be exclusive. PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN.

There is alot of BS info, about cardio and weights on same days. There is just no science behind this. HOWEVER, the idea is that cardio burns muscle if on same day. Not true, lack of sufficient diet with protein makes you lose muscle. So again PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN.

Some people alternate body parts daily. EX Mondays Upper arms including bicep, tricep, shoulder(posterior, anterior, lateral). Back and Chest. Then on Tuesday lower body including hamstrings, quads, abs. Then rest, repeat.

The most important things I can suggest is keep a detailed log. Write down what you did, weight, reps/sets and this will help you to know what your doing that works, doesnt, what needs change. Plus tells you how youve improved in weights!

PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN -- just for good measure.

oh and 3 sets of 10 reps is usually very sufficient on any exercise. If you do higher weight, less reps this builds muscle (bodybuilds) the higher the reps the more endurance and general health your achieving.

Most of all, have fun!