Strength Training

Options
2»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have trainers or instructors to help newbies?
  • Ruthaw1961
    Ruthaw1961 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have any classes? While it is not heavy lifting, I love Body Pump. It is more of a metabolic workout for muscle endurance but it has really helped with my strength. The instructors at my gym are also personal trainers so they stress form first over heavy lifting.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Another idea regarding sets is something called pyramid training. What you do is gradually increase the weights each set, with fewer repetitions.

So, for example, you might do:

Set 1: 10 X 55 lbs
    Set 2: 8 X 60 lbs
    Set 3: 6X70 lbs

You want to choose weights heavy enough that, by the end of set 3, it's a life-or-death struggle to get that last repetition done. You can do 5 lb increments, or 10 lb increments or whatever, it will depend on the exercise. I tend to use much larger increments on leg exercises. Especially the leg press.
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I like to use the free weights, here is what I do M-W-F

Barbell Bench Press - 80lbs
    Sets 2 - Reps 5

Dumbbell pec Fly - 15lbs
    Sets 2 - Reps 12

One-arm Dumbbell Row (knee and hand on bench) - 30lbs
    Sets 2 - Reps 12

Dumbbell Shoulder press - 15 lbs
    Sets 2 - Reps 12

Dumbbell Shoulder (hulks on Zumba Ball) - 15 lbs
    Sets 2 - Reps 12

Tricep over/behind head - 15 lbs
    Sets 2 - Reps 12

Dumbbell Bicep Curl - 15 lbs
    Sets 2 - Reps 12

Lat Pull-Down (cable) - 70 lbs
    Sets 2 - Reps 12

Free weight Leg Press - 250 lbs
    Sets 2 - Reps 12

Hope this helps!

Jen
  • kgordon7
    kgordon7 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have had a lot of success with the Chalean Extreme DVD program from beachbody. Check it out on the beachbody website.

I agree. I'm currently on my last week of the Push Phase. It's geared more towards women, so I think that this would be a great program for you.
  • nellie_88
    nellie_88 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    check out www.bodybuilding.com - great workouts with pictures and lots of 12-week programs to choose from

This! I am doing the Jamie Eason Live Fit program, it's 12 weeks and give you what workouts to do and on what day a long with a nutrition guide. It is fantastic!
  • nytdreamer80
    nytdreamer80 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    so much great advise. Yes, the gymn I got to have free fitness people but I thought I would ask here first. We have machines, dumbells, and the benches. I am just realllllllllllly looking for sometthing to burn this stomach fat, and to work on my obliques.
  • nytdreamer80
    Options
    Another idea regarding sets is something called pyramid training. What you do is gradually increase the weights each set, with fewer repetitions.

So, for example, you might do:

Set 1: 10 X 55 lbs
    Set 2: 8 X 60 lbs
    Set 3: 6X70 lbs

You want to choose weights heavy enough that, by the end of set 3, it's a life-or-death struggle to get that last repetition done. You can do 5 lb increments, or 10 lb increments or whatever, it will depend on the exercise. I tend to use much larger increments on leg exercises. Especially the leg press.

This sounds great!!!! Thanks so much!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    so much great advise. Yes, the gymn I got to have free fitness people but I thought I would ask here first. We have machines, dumbells, and the benches. I am just realllllllllllly looking for sometthing to burn this stomach fat, and to work on my obliques.

Take advantage of the free fitness people to show you proper form.

Ab exercises don't burn stomach fat, nor do they make your stomach smaller, losing fat does. Total body strength training is the way to go, don't just focus on trouble spots.

Keep in mind - you will likely gain a little weight at first. It is completely normal and mostly just water weight as your muscles will retain water while they heal. I went over 4 weeks without losing a pound but you could see a noticeable difference in how I looked. Don't get wrapped up with the scale. Keep lifting, you will see results.
  • knrob
    knrob Posts: 65
    Options
    I'm old school when it comes to weight routines, i know how to use the machines, etc. but when i rejoined the gym a few years ago, the new membership came with a trainer session. She told me to warm up, do weights, and do cardio after-you'll burn more that way. But she also said to not do sets with rest in between-to just move to another machine, with no rest, and do the circuit several times.

Last spring, i bought the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred DVD, which i was able to use at home. She REALLY mixed it up, doing upper body weights while in a squat position, etc: for an even faster, (and sweaty) workout.

I can replicate that DVD now, more loosely, at the gym. I have been feeling great with a 20 min warmup, 20-30 minutes of a weight routine...and then i seem to explode on the treadmill for a good 40 minutes.

I would suggest one of the newer DVD's that shows how to incorporate weight training, and also ask if you can get a free session with the gym staff to learn how to use the machines.

9766141.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • nytdreamer80
    Options
    I have the 30DS and am on day 4 of that. I guess I am just getting FRUSTRATED because I have plateaued for nearly two months now. And the only thing I can think of doing that I am NOT is the weights ALL the time. Usually only once a week on the circuit 30 minute express work out.
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    warm up, do weights, and do cardio after-you'll burn more that way. But she also said to not do sets with rest in between-to just move to another machine, with no rest, and do the circuit several times.

I feel I am old-school as well...I didn't know about this really though, I warm up and do 25 mins of Cardio first before weights then spend remaining 40 mins doing weights. Do you think I should SWITCH that? Do a 5 minute warm up (not sure what to warm up with), do my weights THEN do my 25 minutes on the Elliptical?

Jen