Eating Under Calorie Goal

Options
Hey everyone!

I would love your opinion on something!
I tend to eat under my calorie goal by 200ish calories. Most of the time it's purposely just in case I've calculated my calories for the day incorrectly or I snack on a little something and don't know how to add the calories.
Sometimes it's because I'm just not hungry.

I've got about 14lbs to lose. Down 3lbs so far (in on month...that's really frustrating!)

Is eating under my calorie goal a good thing to do? I know it's not technically "safe" but I AM snacking on things (like a piece of cheese, or a strawberry, or a handful of raisins, etc.) that I'm just not calculating properly.

Any opinion is greatly appreciated :)
Talk to you soon!

Replies

• Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I know everyone says you will go into starvation mode and all that. But let me tell you I have been on MFP for a long time now and I did not see results until I started having a defecit everyday. Maybe its not the healthiest way but it works. I also think we under estimate some of our entries. I dont know if everyone is guilty of this but I know I have searched a food and picked one of the lower calorie entries for it instead of the largest.
  • merith101
    merith101 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I also think we under estimate some of our entries. I dont know if everyone is guilty of this but I know I have searched a food and picked one of the lower calorie entries for it instead of the largest.

I do that. And I also tend to end the day 200 calories (ish) below my goal. I err on the side of under estimating and think that if I'm a few cals under that's better than being over. It must be impossible to get the goal exactly every time. Occasionally if I'm over, I don't stress because I know I'm usually under and it must all even out.
  • siciliankiss
    Options
    Occasionally if I'm over, I don't stress because I know I'm usually under and it must all even out.

I hope so! lol
    I'm over my calories MAYBE once a week, if that.
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    You lucky ducky, I totally stress about it. Even puts me in a bad mood , I know Im a total spaz :laugh:
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing all the right things! And 3 pounds in one month is not a shabby weight loss! With only 14 pounds to go, it's not surprising that you are losing slowly. But slow and steady losses are better, and easier to maintain! I know it's hard to watch the scale move so slowly, try to find another way to judge your success! You are doing well!
  • siciliankiss
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing all the right things! And 3 pounds in one month is not a shabby weight loss! With only 14 pounds to go, it's not surprising that you are losing slowly. But slow and steady losses are better, and easier to maintain! I know it's hard to watch the scale move so slowly, try to find another way to judge your success! You are doing well!

Thank you for the kind words!
  • usc2626
    usc2626 Posts: 186
    Options
    I don't necessarily look at the weight loss as much as I look at what I see in the mirror. If you are exercising and working out you could be gaining some muscle which affect the weight loss on the scale. Not saying you are but I think some people get to caught up on what the scale says rather than how you actually look and feel.