Beach Body Slimming Formula

Options
Has anyone used it? What did you think of it? I have always been VERY skeptical of "diet pills" or aids to weight loss. But I am really struggling. I have been on this site since January, eating 1200 calories + calories burned (which usually ends up being 1500-1600), exercising 5-7 days a week and drinking my water. But in those 3.5 months I've lost 5 lbs., which was in the first week (water, I"m guessing). So I've been at a stand still for pretty much the whole time. I went to my dr. yesterday, she said it could be partly genetics since basically my whole family (immediate and extended) is overweight. And tomorrow I'm getting my thyroid checked. I've just always viewed these things as obstacles that make weight loss difficult, not impossible.

Anyways, I'm getting desperate and just wondered if anyone has used this formula from Beachbody. It says you have to eat right and exercise, which is what I've been doing. And that is can increase your weight loss by 30%. Like I said, I've never been in favor of such things, but I'm not sure what else to do.

Replies

• Nlongenecker
    Options
    Has anyone used it? What did you think of it? I have always been VERY skeptical of "diet pills" or aids to weight loss. But I am really struggling. I have been on this site since January, eating 1200 calories + calories burned (which usually ends up being 1500-1600), exercising 5-7 days a week and drinking my water. But in those 3.5 months I've lost 5 lbs., which was in the first week (water, I"m guessing). So I've been at a stand still for pretty much the whole time. I went to my dr. yesterday, she said it could be partly genetics since basically my whole family (immediate and extended) is overweight. And tomorrow I'm getting my thyroid checked. I've just always viewed these things as obstacles that make weight loss difficult, not impossible.

Anyways, I'm getting desperate and just wondered if anyone has used this formula from Beachbody. It says you have to eat right and exercise, which is what I've been doing. And that is can increase your weight loss by 30%. Like I said, I've never been in favor of such things, but I'm not sure what else to do.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Just putting this out there.... have you been really honest with yourself about the number of calories consumed and expended? Sometimes when I would have a slow week, it was because I went a little over on my calories (some days, or many days), or popped a bite here or there and didn't record it.

Quality also counts - "calories" are not necessarily "calories". Maybe look at your meal plans for the last little while, and see what quality is there. Lots of fresh fruit and veg? Very little packaged/processed foods? Lean proteins? Good quality breakfast of whole grains, protein, and fruit/veg? With eating only 1200-1500 calories, you need to make every nutrient count!

Good luck.
    :flowerforyou:
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Although genetics can affect your build, in my opinion, just because your whole family is overweight doesn't mean you are "genetically predetermined" to be overweight, too. Get your thyroid checked, re-evaluate your diet and honesty in recording those calories, and get a good HRM that records calories burned in your workouts. If you only do cardio, you reeally need to add in resistance training 3X per week!!! Muscle is much more metabolically active than fat. And don't worry about "bulking up". We ladies can't!!!!! Muscles lead to a much slimmer look!!!!
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    doesn't work.
  • erlehmkuhle
    Options
    It never hurts to start from scratch. I would recommend doing a 7 or 10 day herbal cleanse. Then going on a more strict diet. I have to watch my weight for my Mixed Martial Arts Fights, and if I were you, I would have to get a sauna suit (drink plenty of water, it will dehydrate you) and do my workouts. There are also sweat creams out there that help you cut weight. But that is the insane prolly not acceptable way to get it done. But I think you should re-evaluate your diet and only allow yourself 30 seconds inbetween exercises.
  • Nlongenecker
    Options
    I have been honest with myself as far as my calorie intake. I record my food here religiously. And as far as exercise...first I was doing Power90 (strength and cardio) and my treadmill and bike. Then about 3 wks ago I started P90X which is cardio and strength. I'd say if there's anything that could use work, it's getting my water in. I do good for the most part, but not 100% of the time. 5 yrs ago I lost 40lbs on Weight Watchers without exercising at all. I didn't know my metabolism would've changed that much. But it taught me how to eat. I try to get 5 fruits & veggies a day and 3 servings of dairy and I only eat whole grains, no white bread or pasta.
  • Nlongenecker
    Options
    Although genetics can affect your build, in my opinion, just because your whole family is overweight doesn't mean you are "genetically predetermined" to be overweight, too. Get your thyroid checked, re-evaluate your diet and honesty in recording those calories, and get a good HRM that records calories burned in your workouts. If you only do cardio, you reeally need to add in resistance training 3X per week!!! Muscle is much more metabolically active than fat. And don't worry about "bulking up". We ladies can't!!!!! Muscles lead to a much slimmer look!!!!

I do have a HRM. And I average 300-400 calories burnt each time I work out.
  • erlehmkuhle
    Options
    Sounds like you are eating well. How bout supplements. It is a good way to increase your progress. I've tried about everything out there and I know what works. But remember, not all fat burners are good for you. Be selective.
  • Nlongenecker
    Options
    Sounds like you are eating well. How bout supplements. It is a good way to increase your progress. I've tried about everything out there and I know what works. But remember, not all fat burners are good for you. Be selective.
    That's why I started this thread...to get suggestions on supplements.
  • tami1024
    tami1024 Posts: 26
    Options
    IMO I believe that "diet pills" are a temporary fix. If you are being honest about your calorie intake and burned. You should be losing wt. It just may be your thyroid. That's what my problem was. I am now on meds for it and doing great. Diet pills are nothing but trouble! You gained your wt naturally , you should lose it naturally!
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    This topic did get kind of off track. I only made the comment because I noticed on your posts about your daily menu (in another thread) many days you were over, and the food quality looked like it could have been improved.

The main thrust of diet supplements is: (1) They decrease appetite (or the 500mls of water you drink with them before each meal helps to make you feel full. (2) They claim to be Thermogenic, in that they will slightly raise your "metabolism" (by slightly raising heart rate and temperature). It is thought that supplements account for the refining of that last 2% (if you think of diet as being 65%, exercise as 25% and genetics around 5%).

As for hypothyroidism, check out the symptom inventories online - the criterion of gaining weight/difficulty losing weight is not alone enough for a diagnosis, you would noticed marked changes in other areas, such as thinning of your hair, difficutly regulating body temperature, loss of hair growth around your eyebrows, joint pain, etc.

Good luck!
  • aprilvet
    Options

As for hypothyroidism, check out the symptom inventories online - the criterion of gaining weight/difficulty losing weight is not alone enough for a diagnosis, you would noticed marked changes in other areas, such as thinning of your hair, difficutly regulating body temperature, loss of hair growth around your eyebrows, joint pain, etc.

Good luck!

I have to disagree with you here. I am hypothyroid and have been on supplementation for 8 years. My only symptoms were difficulty losing weight and un-realized depression. Although meds did not make me thin, it definately helped me feel better and put me in a place to start losing weight.:smile::flowerforyou:
  • erlehmkuhle
    Options
    I am on your side with this. I have used supplements for a decade. Off and on of course. I started back up in December with the Advocare line. I like to stick to herbals and this product fulfills that. The bottom line is to do your research. Pic the products that are proven. There is a lot of trash out there. It would not be wise to pick the first fatburner you find at Wal Mart. See a nutritionalist and get a professional suggestion. By the way, I have lost 49 pounds since December with just 2 products, a metabolism equalizer and a fat burner that also tones muscle mass. Hit me up for more info. I have not had a side effect from supplements EVER!!!

[/quote]

I have to disagree with you here. I am hypothyroid and have been on supplementation for 8 years. My only symptoms were difficulty losing weight and un-realized depression. Although meds did not make me thin, it definately helped me feel better and put me in a place to start losing weight.:smile::flowerforyou:
    [/quote]
  • aprilvet
    Options
    I have been honest with myself as far as my calorie intake. I record my food here religiously. And as far as exercise...first I was doing Power90 (strength and cardio) and my treadmill and bike. Then about 3 wks ago I started P90X which is cardio and strength. I'd say if there's anything that could use work, it's getting my water in. I do good for the most part, but not 100% of the time. 5 yrs ago I lost 40lbs on Weight Watchers without exercising at all. I didn't know my metabolism would've changed that much. But it taught me how to eat. I try to get 5 fruits & veggies a day and 3 servings of dairy and I only eat whole grains, no white bread or pasta.

So, since you're doing P90X, have you lost INCHES? Lots of people doing P90X don't lose a lot of weight for quite a while but lose lots of inches!! I can attest to that!!!:happy:
  • K2T4e2n6
    K2T4e2n6 Posts: 50
    Options
    What exactly is P90X?? I seem to be having the opposite problem...I'm losing lbs but not inches.