protein use/absorption dependant on time of day?

Options
I just had a visit from my parents, whom I do not see regulary and while discussing healthy lifestyles, my step mom mentioned that protein is not well absorbed late in the day or evening. She said it's best to get it in early in the day.

While I definately do not believe everything she says, she is (I consider) somewhat knowledgable about these things. I am interested to hear the communities opinions. She is my step mom and I do respect and care about her so please refrain from calling her an idiot, etc if you do not agree with her statement.

Is it easier for our bodies to make use of protein when it is consumed earlier in the day rather than later?

I also realize that there is a large amount of people that believe we can eat what ever we want, when ever we want and still loose weight. I think this is true in part but believe that my body feels better depending on what and when I eat.

Thanks for you opinions :)

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    I personally don't know of anything definitive on that. I know the 28 or 30 grams only per meal is simply wrong. I would like to see people link to actual double blind studies of this to answer the question.
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Although I don't think it matters when your protein is ingested I am interested in more knowledgeable folk voicing their opions :)

Russ
  • Alissa_RN
    Alissa_RN Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've heard that you want to restrict carbs at night and stick with lean proteins and greens as your dinner, so thats what I do. I also drink a protein shake for recovery after my work out in the morning. So far this plan is working for me. No matter who you talk to, you will find different advice. You just need to find what works for you.
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Interesting... I would say you should eat roughly equal amounts of protein in each of your meals... only because protein tends to keep you fuller longer.

Only difference in absorbtion would be post workout when your muscles are crying out for protein for repair / recovery, add a few carbs to that post workout meal and it will find it's way there more quickly.

No science that I know to say it isn't absorbed late in the day, many of us consume protein close to bedtime to fuel the repair and build process.

Your body is actually less sensitive to carbs in the evening so you should actually be eating them then not in the morning for breakfast!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I try to eat/drink some protein before I go to bed....Never had any problems and can easily do a 5-7km run in the morning after getting up, a cup of coffee and out the door....
    And getting up is the hardest, becaus I sleep like a log with a comfortable tummy....
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Nonsense.

Protein takes more than a few hours to digest, no matter when you eat it. You're still digesting the protein you ate yesterday.
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I try to eat/drink some protein before I go to bed....Never had any problems and can easily do a 5-7km run in the morning after getting up, a cup of coffee and out the door....
    And getting up is the hardest, becaus I sleep like a log with a comfortable tummy....

Likewise... this is how I workout in the morning. Black coffee for me though.
  • Alissa_RN
    Alissa_RN Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Interesting... I would say you should eat roughly equal amounts of protein in each of your meals... only because protein tends to keep you fuller longer.

Only difference in absorbtion would be post workout when your muscles are crying out for protein for repair / recovery, add a few carbs to that post workout meal and it will find it's way there more quickly.

No science that I know to say it isn't absorbed late in the day, many of us consume protein close to bedtime to fuel the repair and build process.

Your body is actually less sensitive to carbs in the evening so you should actually be eating them then not in the morning for breakfast!

I was taught that carbs are converted to sugar, which is then converted to fat if you eat them at night because you then go to bed and don't work it off. I have found in myself that I don't have much success if I eat a carb loaded meal at night. I think a lot of when people should eat what is really individualized. Because what's working for you, doesn't work for me.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I just had a visit from my parents, whom I do not see regulary and while discussing healthy lifestyles, my step mom mentioned that protein is not well absorbed late in the day or evening. She said it's best to get it in early in the day.

While I definately do not believe everything she says, she is (I consider) somewhat knowledgable about these things. I am interested to hear the communities opinions. She is my step mom and I do respect and care about her so please refrain from calling her an idiot, etc if you do not agree with her statement.

Is it easier for our bodies to make use of protein when it is consumed earlier in the day rather than later?

I also realize that there is a large amount of people that believe we can eat what ever we want, when ever we want and still loose weight. I think this is true in part but believe that my body feels better depending on what and when I eat.

Thanks for you opinions :)

Do you think your body knows what time of day it is and the biological processes which breaks down protein works differently different times of the day?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Nonsense.

Protein takes more than a few hours to digest, no matter when you eat it. You're still digesting the protein you ate yesterday.

^ This.

I was taught that carbs are converted to sugar, which is then converted to fat if you eat them at night because you then go to bed and don't work it off.

^ This is a common misconception. It actually makes no difference when you eat provided that we're comparing equal intakes when making that statement. As long as you remain in a calorie deficit, fat oxidation will exceed fat storage over the course of time and you'll win, so to speak.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    Nonsense.

^ This.

I was taught that carbs are converted to sugar, which is then converted to fat if you eat them at night because you then go to bed and don't work it off.

^ This is a common misconception. It actually makes no difference when you eat provided that we're comparing equal intakes when making that statement. As long as you remain in a calorie deficit, fat oxidation will exceed fat storage over the course of time and you'll win, so to speak.

^^ this I take a protein shake with me to bed each night and I sleep very well and have plenty of energy the next day too :flowerforyou:
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your opinions. All of your answers are what I have heard before and expected.

In regards to weight loss, I personally do not think the time of day matters but do agree that well balanced meals/snacks through out the day help curb appatite and fuel activity.

My personal interest in this topic is that I have trouble sleeping through the night. I wake up regularly and generally crave sweets, which lead me to believe I needed more protein especially before bed. Over the past couple of months I have been mindful to get more protein through out the day and have a protein shake before bed. It seemed to work for about a week but my old, bad habits are resurfacing dispite the 30g of protein right before bed.

That's where the conversation started. My step mom suggested I have that extra protein in the morning rather than before bed. I'm not sure. I'll keep experimenting. :)
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Have you tried meletonin or Valerian root before you go to bed?
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    Options
    Nonsense.

Do you think your body knows what time of day it is and the biological processes which breaks down protein works differently different times of the day?

I'm not convinced on these types of statements. I agree with you when it comes to the biological processes of breaking down the food in your gut through cellular absorption but I do notice that my body feels differently depending on the times and types of foods I eat. I have no interest in trying to convince anyone to eat this or that at any particular time but I think it's important for all of us to have a connection with our bodies and find out what makes us individually feel the best. This will require experimentation.

I'm not trying to fight with you and I have no interest in peer reviewed research on this subject. I just personally feel that there is more to our food than the molecules that make it up.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    Options

No I haven't but I've been thinking about it. I do occasionally have one of Husband's Ambien if I just want a good rest but they don't seem to make a difference. I'm just more groggy, stumbling around the kitchen at 2:30am.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

No I haven't but I've been thinking about it. I do occasionally have one of Husband's Ambien if I just want a good rest but they don't seem to make a difference. I'm just more groggy, stumbling around the kitchen at 2:30am.

Ambien is so bad! I took one years ago and not only did I not sleep, I was just wondering around the house for no reason all night long. Thank GOD I remember it. I remember thinking, why am I doing this? That stuff was weird!

If you just have sleep issues, try the melatonin first, between 3 and 6 mg, no more than that. If you have a lot of stress in your life, try the valarian root. Now do not try to take this one night and be discouraged if it does not work, it can take up to 2 weeks to regulate your sleep patterns. Also,if you do take the VR, make sure it is the nature made(brand), whole herb one. There are many of them out there that do not work or are misleading on the packaging.