Tilapia suggestions?

Options
Hey all!
I was wondering if you guys had some low calorie tilapia suggestions? I've been trying to add fish to my diet, and tilapia seems to be the most available, but I have no idea how to make it! Recipes would be most appreciated!

Replies

• bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    If you get the frozen single fillets you can put them on a George Foreman grill frozen with olive oil brushed on them and seasoned with lemon pepper or another citrusy(sp?) spice or rub. They cook within 5 minutes and have really good flavor. Serve with brown rice and steamed veggies or put in a spinach salad!! yum! Good luck.
  • thatgirl125
    thatgirl125 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    bump.

Also you can cook them on the stove, you can get French salad dressing and put it on them and its really good. I like to do that with dolphin. mmmm mmmmmm delicious.
  • Katie41907
    Options
    Rub olive oil on them then cajun season! Then I pan fry them with the olive oil. I like to eat mine with sauteed zucchini and squash (garlic salt and black pepper to season). I actually had that last night and it was amazing!
  • softwind
    softwind Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I like to dip them in egg whites and then bread them in panko and bake them.
  • lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I bake Tilapia in the oven with a little bit of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic salt, and whatever fresh herbs I have on hand. With the fresh herbs, I chop them up and sprinkle them on top after its done baking. Yummy!!
  • meganmorsey
    Options
    I bake mine in the oven with lemon pepper seasoning. I also like it baked and then topped with mango salsa. YUM!! I typically bake it instead of pan fry because it's easier for me :)
  • ZumbaTriad
    ZumbaTriad Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Dip them in egg white or egg sub, then dip into panko bread crumbs seasoned however you prefer. Grease a cookie sheet with olive oil and bake them at 350 until flaky.

You can also "pan fry" them with a little olive oil and whatever seasonings you like and cook until flaky. I like my browned well and a little "crispy" on the edges. :-)
  • meramon
    meramon Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I like to pan-fry with a little olive oil. I make up a mango salsa to accompany (mango, red onion, cilantro, green apple, lime juice, honey, cumin). I find tilapia very boring, unless it has a great condiment.
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Old Bay seasoning, broiled, 10minutes. Done.
  • gibbyup
    Options
    All of the above are wonderful. Tilapia is such a light and versatile fish. I brush with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, paprika and crushed red pepper flakes. Then grill. Love to serve with brown rice and steamed veggies, or make fish tacos. Yum! I pan seared cod last night and it was delish ... now you've made me hungry again.
  • rheltemes
    Options
    a touch of real butter, whatever seasoning u want.. make it at about 400 until flaky.. i worked in a restraunt for 10 years.. i cooked stuff like baked fish all the time.. baked is probably the most healthy.. or grill it, put tinfoil over ur grill and grill it with seasonings and a little olive oil.. its really good over brown rice..
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    brush with mayonnaise and sprinkle with parmasaan cheese then bake
  • rheltemes
    Options
    oops i just wrote that to u from my boyfriends account.. my name is sv1983..
  • CookieCatCatcher
    CookieCatCatcher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I bake it. Take 3 filets, coat them in an egg wash - then coat them again in a cup of crushed cornflakes (less calories then breadcrumbs, but still give a great crunch). Thats what we had for dinner last night actually. :) Then bake them of a non stick sheet for 15 minutes at 350 - flip and bake for 10 more minutes.

Came in at 147 calories per filet. 8 carbs, 3 grams of fat, 24 grams of protein.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Toss in some breadcumbs and some Cajun seasoning, bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes until done. Very quick and easy, and toss a salad on the side or some veggies and like a 300-400 calorie dinner.
  • NeverQuitting
    Options
    I pan fry them in a little margerine (I use the I can't believe its not butter brand) and I sprinkle a lil fish seasoning on it (Chef Merito fish seasoning) and that's pretty much it.. its really good, even my kids love it.
  • MsMo4DE
    Options
    Hey all!
    I was wondering if you guys had some low calorie tilapia suggestions? I've been trying to add fish to my diet, and tilapia seems to be the most available, but I have no idea how to make it! Recipes would be most appreciated!

Last week, I put a few 3 oz fillets in a large glass baking dish with about 1/2c or so of organic low sodium chicken broth and a couple teaspoons of Tamari (or lite soy sauce). Make sure the bottom of the pan is covered with broth. then I seasoned them with Lemon Seasoning topped it with thinly sliced sweet onion (in rings). Probably had about 4 ring on each fillet. I also cut a green onion and put some on top for color. Then I broiled them for few minutes. If you like tartar sauce, I added some dill, sweet relish and lemon juice to olive oil mayo.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Double Lemon Tilapia:
    Rub tilapia with Lemon infused olive oil, then season the tilapia with Lemon pepper seasoning. Pan fry, 3 minutes on each side.

Spicy Tilapia:
    Rub tilapia with chili pepper infused olive oil, then season with southwest seasoning (I get mine from Pampered Chef) Pan fry, 3 minutes on each side.

Cajun Tilapia (created by my 14 year old daughter)
    Rub tilapia with chili pepper infused olive oil, season with cajun seasoning. Pour one can Rotel tomatoes over fish. Pan fry, 3 minues each side.

Italian Tilapia
    Rub tilapia with Italian herb infused (or rosemary infused) olive oil, season with garlic powder, Pan fry 3 minutes each side.

I serve any of these with long grain brown rice, and steamed carrots or another vegg.

8782296.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I pan sear it in some olive oil with salt, lemon pepper and garlic powder. I also sometimes do an almond flour crusted tilapia, usually mix salt, pepper, almond flour, chili powder and cumin together, dip the fillets in egg and lightly coat with the flour mixture, pan fry it in a little olive oil.
  • nellie_88
    nellie_88 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    From the Jamie Eason recipes:
    Nutrition Facts:

Total Calories: 199
    Protein: 30g
    Carbs: 11g
    Fat: 5g
    Ingredients:

4 oz tilapia (or any fish you'd like)
    asparagus
    lemons, sliced
    lemon juice
    fish seasoning
    pepper
    non stick spray (optional)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
    Use one piece of foil per fish.
    Add lemon juice.
    Sprinkle fish seasoning on top.
    Add pepper, lemon slices.
    Add veggies on top.
    Fold into foil down from the top leaving air for steaming
    Place each foil on a cookie sheet and bake for 14-15 min.