OT- External hard drive advice/ recommendations needed

Options
13»

Replies

• AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    ok, Yahoo mail doesn't do pop connections, but if you buy the mail plus option, it's 20 bucks a year, and you can. Basically they allow pop connecitons and forwarding. Which would allow you to do what you asked. Well worth it IMHO if you need protection for your email. One thing though, unless you're worried about deleting mail by accident, I wouldn't worry about Yahoo losing your mail, they have like 50 redundant servers, all of which are backed up, in various locations throughout the world. It would take a global disaster to fully lose Yahoo.

Thanks Banks! :flowerforyou: I've asked my webmaster (manages my business site) this question, many times, and he couldn't answer it!!! (He charges me $100 an hour - which I guess is the going rate, but I think he should be able to answer these questions at that rate!).

I basically print my address book every few months, save attachements to my computer, and I figure I am safe!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Thanks Banks! :flowerforyou: I've asked my webmaster (manages my business site) this question, many times, and he couldn't answer it!!! (He charges me $100 an hour - which I guess is the going rate, but I think he should be able to answer these questions at that rate!).

I basically print my address book every few months, save attachements to my computer, and I figure I am safe!

Hehe, that's cuz I'm BETTER then 99% of webmasters out there :tongue: .

Seriously though, webmasters perform a very specific limited task, where I have what you would define as a wide set of skills with regards to computers and networking. I run an enterprise level, 24x7x365 dynamic access web portal for our fortune 500 clients, and they expect NO downtime ever. Plus I am a MS Certified DBA, I know IIS, Apache, MySQL, SQL server, many flavors of linux, I'm MCSE certified, I know Cisco routing, Layer 7 switching, WAN tech (BGP, OSPF), I'm certified in network security, I can build and breakdown a Checkpoint FW1 firewall, I know TDM switching, I'm currently part of the team building our VoIP application platform so I know SIP and H323 pretty well (I'm no programmer, but I know the ins and outs of VoIP). Why tell you all this junk? Cuz I know I suck at a lot of stuff, but there are 3 things I know I'm really good at, 1 is rollerblading (I was a certified Inline skating instructor in college), 2nd is Pitching (I'm a lefty pitcher, and have been for a very long time), and 3rd is Business computers and networking.
    Do I know everything, hardly, I know plenty of guys smarter then me at this stuff, but I'm up there.
    So if there is one subject you can trust my opinion on, it's computer technology (minus apples, blech!).
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

Seriously though, webmasters perform a very specific limited task, where I have what you would define as a wide set of skills with regards to computers and networking. I run an enterprise level, 24x7x365 dynamic access web portal for our fortune 500 clients, and they expect NO downtime ever. Plus I am a MS Certified DBA, I know IIS, Apache, MySQL, SQL server, many flavors of linux, I'm MCSE certified, I know Cisco routing, Layer 7 switching, WAN tech (BGP, OSPF), I'm certified in network security, I can build and breakdown a Checkpoint FW1 firewall, I know TDM switching, I'm currently part of the team building our VoIP application platform so I know SIP and H323 pretty well (I'm no programmer, but I know the ins and outs of VoIP). Why tell you all this junk? Cuz I know I suck at a lot of stuff, but there are 3 things I know I'm really good at, 1 is rollerblading (I was a certified Inline skating instructor in college), 2nd is Pitching (I'm a lefty pitcher, and have been for a very long time), and 3rd is Business computers and networking.
    Do I know everything, hardly, I know plenty of guys smarter then me at this stuff, but I'm up there.
    So if there is one subject you can trust my opinion on, it's computer technology (minus apples, blech!).

Banks, I'm enamoured! All that techy language.... :love:

I pretty much trust everything you say anyway. :wink:

So, do you think I'm getting ripped off at $100/hr? I think I figured out part of the financial crisis problem - everyone is charging so darn much for services! (or I'm out of touch!). My cleaning lady charges $30/hr, my webmaster $100/hr, and a guy came by offering to clean my windows and wanted $200 and said it would take him an hour!?!?! What is happening these days!?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Banks, I'm enamoured! All that techy language.... :love:

I pretty much trust everything you say anyway. :wink:

So, do you think I'm getting ripped off at $100/hr? I think I figured out part of the financial crisis problem - everyone is charging so darn much for services! (or I'm out of touch!). My cleaning lady charges $30/hr, my webmaster $100/hr, and a guy came by offering to clean my windows and wanted $200 and said it would take him an hour!?!?! What is happening these days!?

depends on what he is doing for you. If he's just hosting a site, adding a few odds and ends to the site, and maybe keeping your code for you, I know students that will do it for $20. But if you have a very dynamic site with a lot of moving parts, saved users with logins, or any kind of sensitive information on it, then $100 might be a good deal. Can you PM me a link to the site, and how many hours you are being charged for every month? I can give you an idea. Give as many details as you can on what he does and charges for. I hate seeing people get ripped off cuz their tech guy thinks he can get away with it because of the general publics lack of tech knowledge. It makes us all look bad!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Got the WD 1TB from Walmart for $119. I am sure I will use that space as my photo collection continues to grow.

Started my transfer at 10am-ish. Still running at 5pm-ish when I left the house. Will check on it tomorrow evening, I suppose. I was copying roughly 60gb of photos, music, etc.

Thanks again everyone for all the advice!! :flowerforyou: