Salad Can Be Worse for You...

Options
2»

Replies

• Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    no cheese unless it's low fat and used sparingly. I can't eat cheese so I never have it or other milk laden dressings , guacamole is a good dressing replacement if you crave fats like I do, I have a limited diet because of allergies but salads work well for me ;-)
  • kludgood
    kludgood Posts: 172
    Options
    I've been known to put salsa on a salad:wink:
    Me too everybody always says I'm weird for it lol I try using fresh salsas bc the prepared ones have way to much salt
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    This is especially true for fast food places and chains like Cheesecake Factory, TGI Friday's, Applebee's, etc...

Here are 5 salads that have more calories than a whopper:

Wendy's BLT Cobber -- 740 calories, 15.5 grams saturated fat
    Quizno's Chicken Caeser Flatbread Salad -- 920 calories, 20.5 grams of saturated fat
    Applebee's Oriental Chicken Salad -- 1,310 calories, 15 grams saturated fat
    California Pizza Kitchen's Waldorf Salad with Bleu Cheese Dressing -- 1,570 calories, 30 grams saturated fat
    T.G.I. Friday's Sante Fe Chicken Salad -- 1800 calories

There is a great book that is always on the coffee table in the lobby of my gym. It's called something like "Eat this, not that" and it will SHOCK you what seemingly healthy foods are actually terrible for you.

This is why apps like MFP are great because they help us stay educated, by looking up the nutritional value of our foods before we order them. :)

holy crap! i used to get the santa fe salad at applebees all the time, now i just get what i want as i had seen somewhere before the facts like you had mentioned... why not eat what you want when you go out and enjoy it if it's going to be the same in the end...
  • superjae5
    superjae5 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I don't know why I hadn't thought of salsa! So simple and so delicious. And seriously, give the yogurt a try, even works for a veggie dip. :D
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I put salsa on mine sometimes. I like cottage cheese on top of lettuce, cucumbers, etc also. I still use real Ranch but I just make sure it fits into my calories for the day.