HELP...I hurt my foot yesterday

Options
I started running two days ago and ran on my treadmill (very short time but still did it) yesterday. Today I got up and can barely walk on my left foot. I have to go to Purdue tomorrow with my son for a tour of the campus and have to walk all day. I don't want to not work out but am afraid of doing damage. I did my ball work out already today. Should I skip the cardio thing until my foot feels better? I was kinda on a roll and feeling pumped now I am just ticked off. Any suggestions?

Replies

• naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I started running two days ago and ran on my treadmill (very short time but still did it) yesterday. Today I got up and can barely walk on my left foot. I have to go to Purdue tomorrow with my son for a tour of the campus and have to walk all day. I don't want to not work out but am afraid of doing damage. I did my ball work out already today. Should I skip the cardio thing until my foot feels better? I was kinda on a roll and feeling pumped now I am just ticked off. Any suggestions?
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Oh man, that sucks! I remember you posted the other about running a quarter mile and how proud you were (I was proud of you too).

A couple of questions...
    1. How did you hurt it? Did you twist it, or does it seem to be an impact injury?
    2. Is it swollen?
    3. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being god awful curl up in a ball kind of pain), how bad does it hurt when you put pressure on it?
  • erlehmkuhle
    Options
    That is unfortunate what happened. Keep your head up and maybe get creative today and substitute a few more exercises in place of the treadmill. You measure your own toughness though. I have a fractured patella from a Muay Thai fight and I refuse to slack off in my workouts. But somedays my body doesn't want to cooperate. Do what you think is right for you, but remember if you hurt yourself again it could sideline you for longer. If I were a normal thinking person, I would say rest it.
  • naugustyniak
    Options
    Oh man, that sucks! I remember you posted the other about running a quarter mile and how proud you were (I was proud of you too).

A couple of questions...
    1. How did you hurt it? Did you twist it, or does it seem to be an impact injury?
    2. Is it swollen?
    3. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being god awful curl up in a ball kind of pain), how bad does it hurt when you put pressure on it?

I don't remember hurting it, it just hurt this morning. I was fine yesterday after I worked out. It is not swollen and hurts mostly on the top of my foot and along the outside. It is about a 6 when I am up on it but maybe a 2 when I am just sitting (more of an aching).
  • nikki5666
    Options
    I had to get a shot in my hip for my heel the Doctor said it was from walking and I needed soul inserts
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I would do different cardio - like the bike - that doesn't put weight on the foot. It could be a stress fracture or a nerve that got "upset" and it will be better tomorrow, there's just no way to know for sure. I would rest it as much as possible for a few days and see what happens.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I suggest the basics, RICE or Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. Maybe try biking or swimming for a few days. Throw in your favorite OTC pain reliever (Asprin, Ibuprofen, or Tylenol).
  • sallyomally333
    Options
    Let it rest for a few days. If you over do things, it could just get worse.
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options

A couple of questions...
    2. Is it swollen?

I don't remember hurting it, it just hurt this morning. I was fine yesterday after I worked out. It is not swollen and hurts mostly on the top of my foot and along the outside. It is about a 6 when I am up on it but maybe a 2 when I am just sitting (more of an aching).

That was what I was afraid of. You might have something called plantar fasciitis... basically and inflamation of the tissues in your foot. I stepped down hard off a ladder one time and the next day my foot hurt so bad I couldn't walk on it at all, but it didn't hurt when I actually injured it. The doctor prescribed massive doses of ibuprofen, and after a few days of rest and walking on crutches, it healed up. Take some ibuprofen and stay off it as much as you can. If it starts to feel worse, you might want to go see your doctor.
  • naugustyniak
    Options

A couple of questions...
    2. Is it swollen?

That was what I was afraid of. You might have something called plantar fasciitis... basically and inflamation of the tissues in your foot. I stepped down hard off a ladder one time and the next day my foot hurt so bad I couldn't walk on it at all, but it didn't hurt when I actually injured it. The doctor prescribed massive doses of ibuprofen, and after a few days of rest and walking on crutches, it healed up. Take some ibuprofen and stay off it as much as you can. If it starts to feel worse, you might want to go see your doctor.

I have had plantar fascitis and this doesn't feel the same. I have orthotics for it. I am allergic to ibuprofen so that is out. I think I will get a foot brace (one of those elastic ones) and stay off of it as much as possible today. I have to do a lot of walking tomorrow so we will see. Thanks for your help. I think I may have just overdone it a bit. I hope I don't have a stress fracture or something. I have a friend who had that and it took FOREVER to heal. She did it during an aerobic work out. Getting old sucks. :laugh:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Plantar fasciitis doesn't show symptoms on the top or the side of the foot. It usually shows up on the calcaneous where the plantar fascia attaches to it.

It's too bad that you can't take Advil. Are you able to take Aleve? Tylenol isn't an anti-inflammatory like Advil or Aleve so that won't do much except block the pain.

I would suggest RESTING A LOT today. Do some icing on your foot today and before you go tomorrow. The ace bandage might help tomorrow so try that for sure.