How do you deal with people who think they know everything?

Options

Replies

• Elibasia
    Elibasia Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    From now on I will stick with "well, bless your heart". LOVE IT!!!!
  • zambodiare
    Options
    punch them in the face!!!!!!!!!!
  • Tmrice721
    Tmrice721 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling I get that too... I usually say "hmm... so how's that working for you???" and then they move on to the next subject :bigsmile:
  • Tmrice721
    Tmrice721 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    "Well bless your heart!" :bigsmile:

Bahahahah I'm from the south, that's southern for "You are so, so stupid. I hope you marry somebody with money."

hahahahaha!!! That just made my day.....

I second that!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I like this better!!!!!! :laugh:
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Accept and learn more than they do
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight last year and I simply lied about it. When people asked me had I lost weight I just said that I hadn't. And when it became quite obvious that I had, and when they asked me how I did it, I just kept it vague, "oh nothing really, just eating better I guess".
    This way I never had any people offering me advice, or commenting on it.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I love to ramble on and on about what I'm eating and how many fat grams and calories are in food, and how I love to exercise now and how great life is.....................just keep on chatting away and smiling like a fool and raving about your success....and then be sure to throw a jab in or two about how THEY could certainly benefit from doing the same! Just be annoying as hell as soon as they bring up the subject......it won't be long before they won't want to say A WORD about it again!

:wink: :glasses: :wink: :glasses: :wink: :glasses: :wink: :glasses: :wink:
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Since I know more than anyone that has given me advice about nutrition, diet or exercise, I usually give them a rundown involving chemical applications and biological principles. They never have an argument after that, because no one ever knows how to respond.

The only advice I don't get snarky on is running advice, or kinesthetic principles of body movement from instructors that know their stuff. Everyone else, I can usually out-gun them with information, and that's just amusing to me.
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    Options

Bahahahah I'm from the south, that's southern for "You are so, so stupid. I hope you marry somebody with money."

You know until I saw the responses, I thought it was a given that it was an insult! Ha, I forgot it's a regional thing (I'm orginally from the south).
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I don't share w/ friends and fam any weight loss or diet information. If I'm gonnna try something new I keep it to myself. I am blessed not have had to deal w/ ppl trying to tell me how I should exercise or eat. As long as I'm not harming myself or doing something medically unsafe, then ppl should leave well enough alone.
  • ericabrothers
    Options

You know until I saw the responses, I thought it was a given that it was an insult! Ha, I forgot it's a regional thing (I'm orginally from the south).
    haha everyone only thinks us southerns are slow and stupid :laugh: we are really just smart a$$es
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't get what the problem is. I like having discussions with people. If they're spewing nonsense, then I just do my best to educate them. Sometimes they listen and learn something and that's great. Sometimes they then want to change the subject because they don't want to learn and that's great, too. Sometimes in the midst of their nonsense, they might actually have a good tip that may make sense to add to my arsenal. Or sometimes, even if they're overweight themselves and haven't done it themselves, they may actually have a lot of good ideas.

Again, if it's a give-and-take discussion with both sides getting their chance to share, it's cool with me. But if it's a one-sided lecture...well, I'm not into that and if changing the subject doesn't stop it, it's a good time to leave.
  • flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options

This is spectacular.
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options

I

LOL! I'm from Texas and we also use that as a preface, e.g. "well bless his/her heart, I love her/him...but "....." Also, "I know he/she means well, but I wish he/she would just butt out!"
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    the know it alls, don't get the privilege of knowing what i'm up to. i don't talk to them about it nor do i share. know it alls tend to be that way about a lot of things. makes life easier for them to NOT be in the know of things going on in my life ;-)
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    my mom is a weight loss know it all, that for some reason ( scratches head here) cannot lose weight!

she is the definition of "insanity." doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results! LOL

but, while she loves to me me i'm doing it wrong, i just keep my mouth shut about her situation. she's been "on a diet" since as far back as i can remember. and she never really loses weight. at her best, she maintains her current over weightness..........
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I don't listen to them because I know that I already know everything

;p
  • Maria_Goose
    Options
    Ask them how it's working for them. :)
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Ask them how it's working for them. :)

Love to do this one :D
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I just nod my head. Usually the people telling me the best ways to lose weight are overweight.

I know how to lose weight. They don't.