stuffed Manicotti

Options
My kids want stuffed Manicotti for supper tonight...The ingredients are manicotti shells, cream cheese, shredded cheese, pizza sauce, and hamburger...I am not sure how to make this healthy for me lol....I still have like 1200 calories left yet to eat today...should I just eat it? One serving is 2 shells...but this is homemade...not prepackaged so i dont even know how I would log it in my food diary....help?????

Replies

• SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Under Food you can make a recipe. You put all of the ingredients in and then say how big a serving is and it will give you the totals for calories and everything.
  • Alej32
    Alej32 Posts: 12
    Options
    thanks!! I just dont know if I want to eat it or not...
  • zephyrzar
    zephyrzar Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy.... For meals like those I tend to be sure my breakfast and lunch are full of veggies and low calorie items to leave room for a larger calorie meal.
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    thanks!! I just dont know if I want to eat it or not...

If you have the calories, eat it and enjoy every single bite!
  • Alej32
    Alej32 Posts: 12
    Options
    I did the recipe calculator thing and for one serving (3 stuffed shells) it would be 656 calories....I have over 1200 left for the day to eat....I just dont know if it is worth it....I dont want it to mess up my day, but I am pretty sure I am not even going to come close to eating 1200 calories if I dont....
  • tracikearns
    tracikearns Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    use the leanest sirloin you can find (96/4) and use reduced fat cream cheese/shredded cheese and it shouldn't be too high, sounds yummy :)
  • alyssaanagram
    Options
    I would replace the cream cheese with low fat ricotta and try to find whole wheat shells. Instead of pizza sauce get tomato sauce & diced tomatoes in a can to make your sauce (I've never had jarred sauce in my life and this way its only 20 calories for 1/2 sauce).

I promise this version will be easier on your diet!

I face this problem A LOT because I come from a huge Italian family. I grew up eating pasta 5-6 times a week with baked bread and all that jazz. Whole wheat pasta may not be lower in calories but it is much better for you and will definitely help keep your tummy flatter! (Same goes for any brown food - like rice and toast).