Attack of the Newbies

Options
DISCLAIMER: I am not knocking anyone who is new to MFP nor do I think I am any better because I've been a member longer! I am NOT suggesting new members stop posting on forums either.

RANT: Doesn't it annoy anyone else when new members (around 3 months or less) get on the forums and start basically heckling people, telling them they are flat out wrong or stupid or uneducated based on "something they read" on another forum.

Or when they suddenly become an "expert" at losing weight, defining starvation mode, exercise cals (eating back or not), how often to train......the list goes on.

I know when I first started MFP, I didn't want to claim I knew anything about anything! I mostly read the forums, USED THE SEARCH FUNCTION if I didn't know what was being discussed, and rarely put my piece in.

I am amazed at what some people will say to people who have been at this for 1 year+ and have actually gathered some knowledge about health, fitness, muscle-building, nutrition, etc.

END RANT.

Replies

• 2hungariangirls
    Options
    I agree with you to a point. Just because someone just found & joined MFP doesn't mean that they are new to fitness or nutrition. They may have expertise and advice that is way beyond just being a member of a forum for over a year.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    some people may have started over fresh, therefore not really a newby after all. I know I did, therefore I lost my original start date. Not that that is an excuse for why people act the way they do, but maybe they do know stuff? Or, once an asshat....?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    DISCLAIMER: I am not knocking anyone who is new to MFP nor do I think I am any better because I've been a member longer! I am NOT suggesting new members stop posting on forums either.

RANT: Doesn't it annoy anyone else when new members (around 3 months or less) get on the forums and start basically heckling people, telling them they are flat out wrong or stupid or uneducated based on "something they read" on another forum.

Or when they suddenly become an "expert" at losing weight, defining starvation mode, exercise cals (eating back or not), how often to train......the list goes on.

I know when I first started MFP, I didn't want to claim I knew anything about anything! I mostly read the forums, USED THE SEARCH FUNCTION if I didn't know what was being discussed, and rarely put my piece in.

I am amazed at what some people will say to people who have been at this for 1 year+ and have actually gathered some knowledge about health, fitness, muscle-building, nutrition, etc.

END RANT.

I've been here for nearly a year and find that it's not just newbs who tout poor advice as fact.
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options
    I will add that not using the SEARCH button (located by the Settings button above for those that don't know where to find it) as to "whether to eat or not eat exercise calories" is the MOST ANNOYING!
  • seoid
    seoid Posts: 151
    Options
    )))newbies(((
  • I1ahunt
    Options
    I agree with you to a point. Just because someone just found & joined MFP doesn't mean that they are new to fitness or nutrition. They may expertise and advice that is way beyong being a member of a forum for over a year.

That
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Human nature. I don't loose sleep over it.

Nor do I lose sleep over it.

:flowerforyou:
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I agree with you to a point. Just because someone just found & joined MFP doesn't mean that they are new to fitness or nutrition. They may expertise and advice that is way beyond just being a member of a forum for over a year.

I agree.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends how often you're on the site. You could belong for a year and seldom log on or read anything or you can be new and spend hours on the site daily taking in info etc.... I understand what you're saying though. As a new member, I would feel weird giving advice to someone who has been on here for a while unless it was something I had direct experience with.
  • toritater
    toritater Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    There are probably some "newbie" people who do know better. I see some people on here who think juice is considered a fruit. Stuff like that. Just because a person has been here for 3+ months doesn't mean it's a bad idea to let them know juice is not a good idea when you're dieting and eating an apple, strawberries, etc is probably a better idea.

My own rant: I can't stand the term "newbies". I've been using the Internet for 17 years now. I built my own website when I was 17 years old (13 years ago) and had to code it in Notepad using HTML. So...I guess that makes most everyone I talk to on the Internet a "newbie" or "n00b"?

;)
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I like that movie. Wait... I'm thinking of "Newsies" never mind.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I would never heckle anyone EVER. however my join date says I am a newbie, but I have been an actual memebr for a year and a half..I had to delete and re-join due to personal reasons...
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Misinformation. It's the lifeblood of the MFP forum.
  • AmandaBroun
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, but I did join an online forum last year...
  • kristina815
    Options
    I'm sorry, I've never felt that way. A forum is a place to share ideas, whether you agree with definitions or tips is really up to you. If someone has an incorrect piece of information, chances are the discrepancy will be pointed out and a debate about the topic will be had until some kind of agreement can be found. I don't believe it is new people that are to blame as much as it is uninformed people.... a group that I believe you just made yourself apart of.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    That's fair, but I don't necessarily think people who have been on here for 1 year or more are automatically wiser, either. We all have different backgrounds and experiences, so everything we write on here is based on experience or opinion. Very few people on here are nutritionists/trainers/in the medical field, and even then I take everything I read with a grain of salt.
  • mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I agree with you to a point. Just because someone just found & joined MFP doesn't mean that they are new to fitness or nutrition. They may expertise and advice that is way beyond just being a member of a forum for over a year.
    That is a good point that I hadn't really thought of, I just crack up when people say, "Well I joined two weeks ago and I'm doing X diet and I've already lost 7 lbs!" I'm like really? Cause that was probably mostly water weight, not proof your diet works.
    I've been here for nearly a year and find that it's not just newbs who tout poor advice as fact.
    I've seen this a lot too. People in general can be rude and spout off whatever they think is right, new or not.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    I am a newbie... at one point or another we all were... I think it depends on where each person is coming from that determines their responses. Some people are natural "know-it-alls" and they've always had a drive to share all they know with the world. :) patience and time can/may help them... :) God bless! You guys are doing great!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    you-must-be-new-here-willy-wonka.jpg?1322247093
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    "I'm not knocking newbies..." [but let me go on to knock newbies]....

tumblr_l6a6glXMBh1qd0quuo1_1280.png