Quitting Smoking

Options
Ive lost 30 pounds so far but today have switched to an electronic Cigarette. ive heard Smoking speeds up your metabolism...and when you quit you gain a lot of weight.........

Fact or Fiction?

Replies

• mjmtaz
    mjmtaz Posts: 10
    Options
    Well it's entirerly up to you. I to quit 5 years ago and did gain, however, it may be due to the fact that I was not working out at the time. If you have a good routine of working out, you are a head of the game. A suggestion is Buy some sugar free candies and keep yourself busy. One other really good tip I used was, when you want to smoke, take a very deep breath and blow it out as hard as you can. That help me a ton and I still do that when streesed..Good Luck!
  • txwomyn
    Options
    Fact
    you gain wieght because you want something to do with your hands. So you eat.
  • kirstyg1980
    Options
    I quit about 9 months ago, was working out 5 days a week and had already tonned up and lost a fair bit, but I hadn't been watching what I was eating. when I stopped smoking I hit a major plataue

my weight slowely crept up a few pounds but nothing more

it will really help to have your eating and exercise already sorted and you shouldn't gain, it really helps to keep busy
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    In my experience (I'm on something like my 5th quit attempt), quitting smoking doesn't cause you to gain weight. It's using food to replace cigarettes that causes weight gain. I quit last July and gained about 10 lbs, but have lost it through diet and exercise. I've also found that cigarettes can definitely suppress appetite, but I'm not sure that smoking speeds your metabolism significantly.
  • subigirl
    subigirl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I agree with what others have said here...it is the habit of putting something in you mouth that is the problem, so many who quit smoking start snacking. If you are using an e-cig, that takes care of that habit, so you shouldn't have the sudden urge to snack.
  • alex6971
    alex6971 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Ive been quit smoking now for nearly 8 month. I gained over 2 stone but i did not have the healthiest of diets.

I dont know medically whether it speeds ur metabolism but from experience i always needed the toilet after a *kitten* (if u get what i mean) especially in the morning.

My advice to you if you are really serious about quiting is forget the weight gain for now, you can sort that out once you have quit the smoking. I think gaining a little weight is alot better health wise than smoking.
  • greenblood55252
    Options
    I agree with what others have said here...it is the habit of putting something in you mouth that is the problem, so many who quit smoking start snacking. If you are using an e-cig, that takes care of that habit, so you shouldn't have the sudden urge to snack.

I havent had the urge to smoke OR snack and have hardly even used the e Cigarette......I guess it was just time to quit
  • Chuckw40
    Chuckw40 Posts: 201
    Options
    At least for me, smoking works as an appetite supressant.
  • subigirl
    subigirl Posts: 53 Member
    Options

I havent had the urge to smoke OR snack and have hardly even used the e Cigarette......I guess it was just time to quit

Good for you!!! And the longer you go without smoking, the better your lungs will function, and the better you will be in cardio exercises!

My husband uses an e-cig, but he can't seem to quit the nicotine completely...he still relies on it heavily, and you can tell when he needs it!!! At least I don't have to worry about all the tar and crap from traditional cigs messing with him any more. We both smoked when we first got together...then I got a bad case of strep throat. Hurt so much to take a drag off of a cig, that it wasn't worth even trying. I was sick for 6-weeks...plenty of time to get all the nicotine out of my system...so by the time I could have a cig again, it didn't seem to be worth it. :)
  • JoJoDoerr
    JoJoDoerr Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I quit almost 2 years ago and gained 30 pounds within about a 6 month time span. I am guessing that I gained 1) because I started to be able to really taste things (you don't realize how much you are not tasting and smelling until you get full use of those senses back) and 2) I have such severe physical withdrawals that I was not active at all!
  • Trinity1982
    Options
    I quit smoking last August and i did it by reading the book 'Allan Carr's Easy Way to quit Smoking'. i now can't stand the smell, look at or even want to be near a cigarette. my husband is a smoker and he just PONGS!!! can't believe i smelt like that.

as for the weight gain, if you eat bad food once you've quit, you'll put on weight - guaranteed! eat right and get active is the only way regardless of whether you're a smoker or not. what happens is you replace the cigarette with food... hence why quitters put on weight and it's usually junk food. you need to remember that you're replacing an instant craving hit with retraining your body when to recognise 'slow fill' (the slow fill of food to the stomach - you can't instantly inhale an entire meal, like the feeling you get when you have the first drag of a cigarette!!!)

Quit today - you'll save your life!