Weighted Run/Walk Questions...

Options
So I've gotten up to 6-9 miles walking/jogging/intervalling at an ending pace or right around 15 minutes a mile. I want to take it to the next level and try to get back into military form.

Are there any suggestions as to how to carry the weight best? I'm thinking of just getting a small rucksack and put 2x 20lb sand bags in there.

Any good suggestions for specific rucks or sandbags?

Also, any recommendations for knee supports? They aren't horrible, and I already know better than to run with a ruck on, but I'd like to make sure I don't destroy them completely.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    My husband uses a rucksack with weights and stuff in it or a weight vest.

Mostly he saves the weight vest for running stairs and stuff and uses his rucksack for runs...to be honest he usually has so much weight in it that it's just a power walk.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Just give me a piggy back ride!
    Problem solved.
  • biffdaddy
    Options
    I have a co-worker that recently purcahsed a weighted vest for that purpose. It has removable weights so you can add or take away as needed. You can also distribute the weight evenly so it doesn't put more or less strain on one area. A weighted rucksack seems like it may do more harm than good becuase the weight would be straining the back. I do not recall the maker of the vest. Good luck.
  • Glasspack
    Glasspack Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    A few suggestions-
    You can get a weighted vest instead of the ruck (not sure of cost) & it probably won't jostle as much
    2 x 20 seems like a lot of weight to start maybe start with 5lbs (a brick) and carry some water / food in the ruck as well
    If $ is no object the you can try a goruck ( http://www.goruck.com/ ) they are expensive but well tested and backed up
    Other then that pick a cheap ruck and throw some bricks in it and go (you may want to wrap the bricks in t shirts or bubble wrap so the don't dig into the ruck or your back too much

Post what you find works because I will begin training with a weighted ruck later in the year to try to get in shape for the go ruck challenge next year (it's probably a pipe dream but you don't know until you try)

Good Luck
  • emiliewright
    emiliewright Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Just give me a piggy back ride!
    Problem solved.

^^this^^ love it!
  • jaxdiablo
    Options
    I appreciate the suggestions. Piggy back rides all around!

I thought about the weighted vest, but my body was trained to carry weight like this when I was in the Army, so I feel like when I go hiking and crap if I'm wearing the vest it will inhibit my arms and stuff. If I have the ruck it's just more "normal" to me. I think 5 pounds is way too light, and maybe 40 is too much to start, I'm going to probably hit the middle at approx. 20. Also I'd rather do the sandbag because it's soft, the bricks even wrapped have a chance to jostle and jam me in the back. Hm, I could always just load 20 pounds of marshmallows or doughnuts in there and eat them as I walk to lighten the load. lol

The other reason I'm adverse to the vest is because I like the ability to be able to adjust the weight to whatever I want. I'll be able to toss 20 pounds in this week, in 2 months I can up it to 60 and not bat an eye with the loading of it, where as I'm sure the vests top out at like 50 or so pounds. I assume. I will research the vests though.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Piggy back rides FTW!!
    :tongue:
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I have the 40lb weight vest and the brand i have (whatever that may be) has another one that goes to 120lbs. My only problem is that for someone my size, the bottom hits my kneecaps and the whole things is like wearing a big, heavy circus tent. Another option, grab one of your poochies and carry them :) lmao!
  • jaxdiablo
    Options
    Yeah, not running carrying a dog. lol

I do like the rucksack thing though, I throw a sand bag in there and the weight is on my shoulders, so hopefully it doesn't put too much pressure on my knees. It's about $25 and the sandbag is like $5 so I can do this for $30 or so to get started. I think that's a decent investment. I'll wrap the bag in duct tape or something just to add an extra layer of protection for it to not tear open while jogging.