help!! i'm so frustrated!!!

Options
OMG!!!! I take one step forward and get knocked back 3!!! I've been having foot pains for more than 6 months and I finally went to see my podiatrist and he says that I have falling arches, plantar flacitis, and my knees, feet, and hips are out of alignment. :angry: :sick: He told me what to do so I won't be in as much pain, but then he drops the bomb on me that walking for exercise is not good for me!! :noway: :sick: He says it is too much pounding on my feet and it will cause the pain to be worse!!! He gave me other workout options such as biking, weight lifting, an eliptical, yoga, and pilates. But can I really lose weight doing yoga and pilates?? The other options cost money because I'd have to join a gym to get access to those machines. I have a bike at home but I haven't ridden a bike in YEARS!!!!!! DARN IT!!!! What do I do??
:sad: :sad: :sad:

Replies

• leshawnturner
    Options
    OMG!!!! I take one step forward and get knocked back 3!!! I've been having foot pains for more than 6 months and I finally went to see my podiatrist and he says that I have falling arches, plantar flacitis, and my knees, feet, and hips are out of alignment. :angry: :sick: He told me what to do so I won't be in as much pain, but then he drops the bomb on me that walking for exercise is not good for me!! :noway: :sick: He says it is too much pounding on my feet and it will cause the pain to be worse!!! He gave me other workout options such as biking, weight lifting, an eliptical, yoga, and pilates. But can I really lose weight doing yoga and pilates?? The other options cost money because I'd have to join a gym to get access to those machines. I have a bike at home but I haven't ridden a bike in YEARS!!!!!! DARN IT!!!! What do I do??
    :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    There is a video on YouTube of a morbidly obese man who did yoga as his only exercise and got to his goal weight. He started out using a cane to walk around because of pain in his legs, but he no longer uses it and is a very fit and trim man now. I have trouble doing all the yoga and pilates poses, but I definitely believe that you can lose weight doing yoga and pilates.

You could definitely try using your bike again. They say you never forget how to ride a bike, and even if you are a little slow and clumsy at first, I know it will come back to you in no time. Also check out freecycle.com and Craigs List to see if anyone is selling or giving away an elliptical that you could use in your home. If you have the motivation to lose the weight, I know there's a way for you to get the exercise you need without spending a lot of money or causing further injury to yourself.
  • happyhubbard
    Options
    There is a video on YouTube of a morbidly obese man who did yoga as his only exercise and got to his goal weight. He started out using a cane to walk around because of pain in his legs, but he no longer uses it and is a very fit and trim man now. I have trouble doing all the yoga and pilates poses, but I definitely believe that you can lose weight doing yoga and pilates.

You could definitely try using your bike again. They say you never forget how to ride a bike, and even if you are a little slow and clumsy at first, I know it will come back to you in no time. Also check out freecycle.com and Craigs List to see if anyone is selling or giving away an elliptical that you could use in your home. If you have the motivation to lose the weight, I know there's a way for you to get the exercise you need without spending a lot of money or causing further injury to yourself.
    Great answer:bigsmile:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    If you get some orthotics and take care of your feet by icing them after walking EVERY time I don't think you'd have to rule out walking completely.
  • fishernd
    fishernd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I had plantar fasciitis. It sucked! Things that helped me get over it:

1. First and foremost, stop wearing heels and wear sneakers as much as possible. You absolutely need support for your feet
    2. Go to www.barefootscience.com and order a pair of inserts (also read about what they do). They are WAY cheaper than orthotics and they WORK.
    3. Go to physical therapy. It WORKS!

Between these 3 things, I have had no problem since September last year and I now run a lot and am very active.

4. Get yourself a brace that will stretch your foot out at night. Ask your doctor about this and then see if you can find a cheap one online. This will help heal the PF
    5. Ice, ice, ice.

As for exercise, give yourself 2 weeks off after you get new shoes to adjust and to rest. Then, use the elliptical / arc trainer for your exercise. These machines have almost no impact. That's how I exercised when I was dealing with PF. Get the inserts too. They will really help.

Good luck!
  • mamamia866
    mamamia866 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    walmart sells a series of yoga and pilates dvds that you can buy progressively (beginner, intermediate, and advanced) and you can do it on your own time, at your own pace. the pilates dvd I have is from Gaiam, and it's so easy and well instructed, I feel relaxed afterward as well. walmart also sells additional products like mats, balls, and rubber tension bands for intermediate and advanced pilates and yoga.
  • sbirchfield
    Options
    It might be too cold where you live right now, but what about swimming? It is low impact and if there is a public pool somewhere it may not cost you money to do it. You can burn lots of calories that way and it will exercise your whole body. At least if you could do some yoga and bike riding to get started then as it warms up swimming might be a good option. My back and knees can't take the pounding of walking or running but biking and swimming don't seem to hurt me as bad.
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    i get my elliptical machines from walmart for around $125.00- $150 and put them together myself in about an hour, they last for about a year. I just looked on walmarts website and they have a new one that takes up very little space.
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    Bob from the BL has a weight loss Yoga DVD - I just got it (haven't opened yet though :blushing: ). I got it on Amazon.com for pretty cheap....

I also found an elliptical on Ebay for $130... Squeaks like a mouse, but at least it works! LOL

Good luck..... :flowerforyou:
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    I have terrible knees so when I made the decision to start running I thought I could never do it. Boy was I wrong. I started taking pilates and it changed my life. Pilates helps with balance, alignment,posture...I could go on and on. I am stronger simply because of pilates!!!! When I started running I sucked, now I can run and feel zero knee pain Pilates is the perfect thing to go with any exercise. My advice, skip the dvd's at first and go to a REAL class. Having an instructor teach you how to do it properly is a HUGE difference. I think I'm doing it right, then my instructor comes up and fixes me and i can immediately feel the difference. It's not cheap so not saying only go to the instructor but at least go to a real class for a little bit to really get the concept of it, then do it on your own or whatever works for you.Good luck, after pilates, your core will feel stronger, you'll notice your posture change...it's awesome!
  • meanness67
    meanness67 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If your knees, feet and hips are out of alignment, I would suggest a chiropractor. Get a recommendation from someone you know who goes to one. I have been going to one for years (usually only a couple of times a year now). I used to have really bad headaches practically every day and now I rarely have them. Also, I work at a desk all day and have carpal tunnel and neck tension, but the chiropractor is able to help that also. You would be surprised how much better you feel when you are properly aligned! :smile:
  • leshawnturner
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your encouragement and suggestions!!!! I will try somethings and let you know how it goes. :happy: