Going out to dinner tonight -- Help me stay motivated!!!

Options
My hubby is taking me out on a belated Valentine's date tonight! I don't know where we're going or what types of food there will be. I'm sure there will be lots of opportunities for me to wreck my calorie count for the day :-/

I really want to just relax and be able to enjoy myself AND somehow stay on track. Advice please?!?!?!!!? How do you handle eating out when you're watching your calories?

Replies

• sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I usually look for grilled chicken with vegtables, grilled fish, small portion of steak is ok, as long as its lean and you don't have a baked potatoe with all the fixings!

Good luck and have fun! It can still be fun even though your eating healthy, focus on the time alone spent with your husband and not just the food. :smile:
  • AnneMK5
    AnneMK5 Posts: 110
    Options
    Try to stay away from breads, pastas, etc. Veggies and lean meats. Most places serve double or more of meat portions so maybe eat just half of the meat and bring the rest home to have the next day.

And yes, have fun and enjoy the special evening out with your hubby.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I have two trains of thought on this one...

First, if you really want to be good, as another poster said, stick with things like grilled lean meats with vegetables. Only eat a little of the starchy side dish served with it. And make sure the veggies aren't served in some sort of sauce or a ton of butter. If you happen to be going to a chain restaurant, most have calories on their menus now so that can help. Remember that salads aren't always the best option.

Two, (assuming you and hubby are like most and don't go out to eat very often), this is a special night out and not a time you need to concern yourself with calories so much. You can still be conscious of your choices and do your best but don't worry about it and just have fun!
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    It's one meal. This isn't a punishment, it's a journey. Look at the choices and pick the healthiest option that looks yummy to you. If you get dressing for a salad, ask for it on the side. Same with any sauces. Avoid more than one piece of bread. Other than that, just enjoy it and count it as a once in a while treat. It won't derail your progress. Even if you choose to have a little desert.
  • hippychickuk
    hippychickuk Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I went out for Valentine's on the 13th. I had a lean steak, some veg, and gave him all the potatoes off my plate. He gave me all the veg off of his. Hey, I can't control his diet... :wink:
  • crawford4398
    crawford4398 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with all the previous comments, Fish is your best option really, Grilled or baked. And dont leave off the potatoes completely, just change them! Sweet potatoes are your friend .Consider a large one is about 100 calories, A small one is around 50 calories. ask them to leave it plain except for cinnamon. Oh yeah and have Fun!
  • ladyhawkgg
    Options
    Go with a good choice and if there is something you really would love to have split it with hubby. Enjoy your evening and don't fret the small stuff just enjoy. Take that extra walk around the track or on treadmill.
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Y'all are the best! I am printing this out to take with me!! :-D