I <3 Squats

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    What's a tampon bar??
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    What's a tampon bar??

The pad that you can put around the bar.
  • I LOVE this!!
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Why would you not want to use the pad for the bar? Are you supposed to look cooler without it? I'd rather not have red marks all over the back of my neck.
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    I hate Squats! Everything about them. I need to love them to though lol
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Well, it's a good thing I love squats!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    I :heart: squats. I also :heart: legpresses.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Why would you not want to use the pad for the bar? Are you supposed to look cooler without it? I'd rather not have red marks all over the back of my neck.

it "can" promote bad form. Also, maybe somebody can correct me, but if your getting red marks on your neck, your holding the bar too high??? When I squat, the bar sits below the top of my shoulders.
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    The "***** pad" is frowned upon because of what it does with bar positioning and balance. It's much better to start very light and get adjusted to the weight without a pad. Eventually you'll develop your traps enough to form a 'shelf' for the bar to rest.
  • kneeki

it "can" promote bad form. Also, maybe somebody can correct me, but if your getting red marks on your neck, your holding the bar too high??? When I squat, the bar sits below the top of my shoulders.
    Yeah. If you have marks on your neck the bar is too high. It should sit on the lower part of your traps.
  • Why would you not want to use the pad for the bar? Are you supposed to look cooler without it? I'd rather not have red marks all over the back of my neck.

From my understanding the bar will sit different with the pad, so the weight/force will shift and could cause stress on the lumbar spine.
    Also can cause it to be less stable with more chance of slipping and even moving the center of gravity.

Building traps and muscles in your back should prevent any pain from the bar. No reason to use it. Wear a t shirt IMO.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    I use the pad...interesting input, I'd never heard it was a bad thing. What about those plastic stingray-looking things you can snap on to the bar, are those bad too?

P.S. squats are my boyfriend
  • kneeki
    I use the pad...interesting input, I'd never heard it was a bad thing. What about those plastic stingray-looking things you can snap on to the bar, are those bad too?

P.S. squats are my boyfriend
    I would avoid anything that separates the bar from your skin. Although, I've not done any research on the sting ray.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    That's interesting. I don't use a pad that looks like a tampon - it's a rubber thingy. I don't actually get red marks, because I have never done it without the pad - just assumed that's what would happen. I believe my form is correct - at least that's what the trainer at the gym has told me and I do squat pretty heavy, without any pain in my back.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    yeah, the pad was encouraged on me by several of my friends because the bar left marks on me and they said it is bad for the bones. Whatever. I think it works the same.
  • Camshaft84
    Camshaft84 Posts: 11 Member
    LOL! Cant wait to drop that name for it at the gym tonight!
  • cheddle
    cheddle Posts: 102 Member
    <3 squats, that is all
  • kerri007
    kerri007 Posts: 123
    i <3 squat days. low, deep and heavy. take a big breath and squat and push knees out and look up and focus. my whole lower half hurts like a ***** for a couple days. but then i can say i did it right. ive gotten away from using the pad and using gloves.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member

Yep, it was the very fact that I felt I needed the pad that told me my bar position wasn't quite right. when I first started out squatting I had the bar in contact with some of the vertebrae on my neck, which is too high. Now I kinda squeeze myself up into to the bar & get it resting on my trap muscles where it should be; and there's no need for the pad.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Proper barbell squats changed everything for me!