Frog Legs

Options
I am looking for some good non-fried recipes for Frog Legs...I found some interesting information on the web that a 100g piece of frog legs contains only 73 calories and packs a whopping 50g of protein and 0g of fat! I was thinking of boiling the frog legs and then shredding the meat and making barbeque similar to what you would do with chicken. Do you think this would work or what suggestions do you have...

Replies

• bfeusner
    bfeusner Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    bump

ANY IDEAS?
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    boil them in beer, braise them in bbq sauce and jamaican jerk seasoning and let them sit overnight. skewer those bad boys and grill. thats what i'd do at least.

that sounds so good. where do you buy frog legs? id like to try this
  • Mera_Mera
    Options
    I've been living under a rock, because I wasn't aware that people ate frogs. What else do people eat beside the 'normal' meat? I don't mean this a sarcastic comment. I am truly curious.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The bbq sounds yummy but time consuming since each leg contains so little meat. I think they'd be good grilled or roasted with buffalo hot sauce. I know it's cliche to say, but they really do taste a lot like chicken so you could probably use them in any chicken dish.
  • bfeusner
    Options
    where do you buy frog legs? id like to try this

I bought them at a store here is Louisville named Valumarket. I don't think they are a national chain but they could be. They were sold in their deli section along with the seafood.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I had frog legs once...they weren't absolutely terrible, but the way they were cooked made them sickeningly sweet. I know they aren't normally supposed to taste like that...the flavor they put on the frog was the same flavor the place used on EVERYTHING, it seemed. I'd try the BBQ...might be good. =)
  • strapple
    Options
    I've been living under a rock, because I wasn't aware that people ate frogs. What else do people eat beside the 'normal' meat? I don't mean this a sarcastic comment. I am truly curious.

alligator tail is really good and people dont know it. also all sorts of tongue and liver. snails and rocky mountain oysters arent as bad as youd think either.

i make a point that when it comes to food, ill try anything once and never knock it til i try it. :}
  • memcd911
    memcd911 Posts: 230 Member
    Options

Bwahahaha. You've never met a person from Louisiana, have you?

Coon, snake, gator, rabbit, goat, possum, nutria.

Granted I'm FROM Louisiana, and I've only had two from that list. But most people find that strange. :o)

Frog is not one of the items I've had. Gator and rabbit... those are good cooking.
  • strapple
    Options
    where do you buy frog legs? id like to try this

I bought them at a store here is Louisville named Valumarket. I don't think they are a national chain but they could be. They were sold in their deli section along with the seafood.
    ill have to check out my delis here. the ones i go to are usually jewish delis so i dont think they would have frog legs. THE HUNT IS ON, thanks for planting the seed in my brain
  • erzsebet_1560
    Options
    Mmmmm...I actually love them. I have a pic in my profile of me eating them for the first time. I had them in New Orleans. YUm!
  • bfeusner
    Options

I realize it is becoming more of a "normal" meat now but Buffalo is simply amazing! It doesn't have the gamey taste of deer and is one of the lowest calorie meats on the market at just over 110 calories in 4 oz.

Check out this link for some interesting exotic meats that more people are starting to eat...

http://www.rd411.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15431:exotic-game-meats-nutritional-content-&catid=96:grocery-shopping-and-food-preparation&Itemid=390
  • bcattoes
    Options

That would depend on what you consider "normal". If there is an animal to be killed and eaten, chance are someone, somewhere, eats it.

It's not uncommon for people in my neck of the woods to eat wild game like groundhog (woodchuck), squirrel, deer, rabbit, etc.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options

I'm in my mid fifties and have been eating frog legs since I was a child. They were one of my dad's favorites! What's "abnormal" about it? Every restaurant I went to as a child had them on the menu. I didn't know anybody didn't consider them a "normal" meat. Which meats are "normal?" I don't mean to be sarcastic either; you say "the 'normal' meat" like people will know what you mean, and I would have put frog legs in that category. Beef? Pork?
  • bcattoes
    Options

Occasionally they will sell at a local grocery where I live, but oddly enough the only place that always has them is a fish market.
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options

Granted I'm FROM Louisiana, and I've only had two from that list. But most people find that strange. :o)

Frog is not one of the items I've had. Gator and rabbit... those are good cooking.

My dad used to go frog gigging with buddies, then tell us the fried frog legs were chicken. I knew what they were, and I only tried them once. I couldn't get past the idea of frog.

People in the hills of Tennessee will eat just about any of that stuff too. I remember visiting a distant relative as a girl to pick up a quilt, and being horrified when they invited us to stay for dinner - they had just killed a groundhog. My mom tactfully declined. And now I'm a vegetarian. No direct connection, but I'm sure those experiences didn't help. :)
  • FitLink
    Options
    boil them in beer, braise them in bbq sauce and jamaican jerk seasoning and let them sit overnight. skewer those bad boys and grill. thats what i'd do at least.

Ooooohhh...that sounds good! Mmmmmm...
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Zut Alors!

I want to try these, maybe its a good excuse to go to France. I have never seen them being sold here (UK)
  • FitLink
    Options

My dad used to go frog gigging with buddies, then tell us the fried frog legs were chicken. I knew what they were, and I only tried them once. I couldn't get past the idea of frog.

People in the hills of Tennessee will eat just about any of that stuff too. I remember visiting a distant relative as a girl to pick up a quilt, and being horrified when they invited us to stay for dinner - they had just killed a groundhog. My mom tactfully declined. And now I'm a vegetarian. No direct connection, but I'm sure those experiences didn't help. :)

You don't have to be from the hills of Tennessee. I'm a city girl from Iowa. And my dad never "caught" anything he ate--they came from stores. If my dad had to catch dinner for us, we'd all have starved.
  • tjs616
    tjs616 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am looking for some good non-fried recipes for Frog Legs...I found some interesting information on the web that a 100g piece of frog legs contains only 73 calories and packs a whopping 50g of protein and 0g of fat! I was thinking of boiling the frog legs and then shredding the meat and making barbeque similar to what you would do with chicken. Do you think this would work or what suggestions do you have...

I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet, but you need to recheck your facts. 1g of protein is 4 calories, so for anything to have 50g of protein it would have to have at least 200 calories in it. A quick google search tells me that 100g of frogs legs would have 73 cals and 16g of protein. It does have 50mg of cholesterol, so perhaps someone mistyped what you were looking at.
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Only had frog legs once, loved them! But it was in Wisconsin, not in the South!

(BTW, venison, elk, etc doesn't taste "gamey" if field dressed properly)