Losing Weight really FAST

Options
I have read an article about the biggest losers fast weight loss methods. And they were losing a huge amount of weight and wherein losing 10pounds a week or more looks fantastic and losing like 3 or less is like more frustrating. Mostly of the contestants gained a lot after the show.

ron-and-mike-win-last-weeks-weigh-in.jpg

Article says::

Take Ryan Benson: The 2005 champ admitted he was urinating blood after fasting and dehydrating himself toward the $250,000 prize. Not very admirable press for "The Biggest Loser," and Benson believes he's been ignored by the show in return. Then there's Season 3's Kai Hibbard, who has blogged she and others would dehydrate before weigh-ins and stack on clothing during workouts when cameras weren't rolling. She gained 31 pounds in two weeks after the show, mostly by staying hydrated. Great, about 10 million viewers unknowingly tuning in to dehydration TV.

I'm shocked about gaining 31pounds in 2weeks! That's a fastest weight gain, I ever heard in my entire life!

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I hate that weight loss has become a competitive sport. :huh:
  • theresa029
    Options

yes really...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You do know that a Biggest Loser "week" is not really a week, right?

I've never watched the show .... but the competitive nature is scary to me.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

Exactly. And it warps peoples frame of reference. How many posts have you seen from frustrated people, that they've only lost 2 lbs a week? Which is incredible.

The weight didn't pile on quickly, it's not going away quickly.
  • o_delaisse
    o_delaisse Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    It's easy to lose weight super fast. It is not easy to burn fat super fast, not by a long stretch.
  • lgwhizz
    Options
    Is a biggest loser week longer??

I have heard about them being dehydrated and going to lengths, esp toward the final. Also its clear to see what being hydrated does to their bodies when one wins a free pass for that week, drinks water, looses very little then the next week has a mega loss due to water weight and of course whatever they lose that week.

I do enjoy biggest loser and like that they have started to show nutritional bits and stuff but feel it gives unrealistic view, they dont work, they do nothing but workout, dont go to the shops to choose and buy food etc, its unrealsitic.

I lost alot of weight with a very low calorie diet and within 2-3 weeks of stopping it had gained about a stone. I wasnt even eating badly. My hair also started to fall out.

Fat again and trying to do it right this time!
  • janehen12
    janehen12 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

How long is it though?

Thing that I always wonder is how soon do they do last chance training in comparison to the weigh in. Day before, 2 days before?
  • sexyminxinthemaking
    Options

our biggest loser uk is done over 8 weeks and it is weekly weigh ins. They tend to lose lots in the first week and then it slows to around 2lbs a week.

i personally love the show, i watch it every week :love: :heart:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that a Biggest Loser "week" is really about 12 days
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I love the Biggest Loser. It's so inspiring to me. I'm friends with one of the winners on FB, Patrick House . He is from my town. He is doing so much to help children and adults eat healthy and lose weight! AND he is still skinny. Runs marathons and competes in Tough Mudders. He's a great guy.
  • theresa029
    Options
    I love the Biggest Loser. It's so inspiring to me. I'm friends with one of the winners on FB, Patrick House . He is from my town. He is doing so much to help children and adults eat healthy and lose weight! AND he is still skinny. Runs marathons and competes in Tough Mudders. He's a great guy.

Patrick House is from Season 10 right? :)
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

Exactly! Weight loss is a life time change. Diet is not a fad, it is the food you put in your mouth. This is not a competition, it is a journey and if you want to enjoy the end of the journey, you need to learn how to get there.
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    Is a biggest loser week longer??

I have heard about them being dehydrated and going to lengths, esp toward the final. Also its clear to see what being hydrated does to their bodies when one wins a free pass for that week, drinks water, looses very little then the next week has a mega loss due to water weight and of course whatever they lose that week.

I do enjoy biggest loser and like that they have started to show nutritional bits and stuff but feel it gives unrealistic view, they dont work, they do nothing but workout, dont go to the shops to choose and buy food etc, its unrealsitic.

I lost alot of weight with a very low calorie diet and within 2-3 weeks of stopping it had gained about a stone. I wasnt even eating badly. My hair also started to fall out.

Fat again and trying to do it right this time!

Eh, the nutritional bits are really just built-in commercials for the packaged food sponsors of the show... frozen smoothies, cereal bars, Subway, whatever. I personally HATE those parts of the show, they're so stilted! "Oh hey, are you guys hungry for a healthy snack?" "Sure, I was thinking of having ...." ugh

That said, I watch the show while I run on the treadmill sometimes : X But it's obvious to anyone who's made it as far as MFP that a lot of that weight loss is not going to be lasting because of how it's achieved!
  • StoutGirl09
    StoutGirl09 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You have to realize on this show its all they do, their family and friends are left behind during the show with no contact and all they can focus on is working out. If you left your life behind and only did this, you'd see the same results. It's a matter of doing it in a healthy way and creating a lifestyle.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are people who lose weight quickly.

In my first week of dieting (I was dieting), I lost 9 pounds which is actually slower than many folks who follow a low calorie diet. As a very obese male, it was easy to lose weight.

My stats:
    http://cbeinfo.net/weight.htm

I you look at the table in the center of that web page, you'll see that I lost weight in "cycles". During a "loss phase", I was losing weight at a very high rate but during a "recovery phase" I lost almost nothing. Overall, I lost 83.3 pounds in the 107 days when I lost weight, for an average of 0.78 pounds per day.

Even after losing very little weight for a few months (July 2011 through Jan 2012), I was able to lose 3.8 pounds a week simply by cutting my calories. I decided to drop more weight (each 1 pound costs a runner 2 seconds per mile) so I went from 194.0 on 12/31/2011 to 186.4 on 1/14/2012.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    Check out the boxers and MMA fighters do weigh-ins. They will pack on 20-25 pounds in 24 hours before a fight.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between losing weight quickly, and TRYING to lose weight very quickly. It's entirely possibly to lose 9# in one week without doing anything unhealthy. But that's not the same thing as someone whose goal is to lose 9# per week consistently, who eats 500 calories and burns 2000 spending hours at the gym.

There were weeks when I dropped 3# while aiming to lose a half a pound. But for me to aim to lose 3# a week, I'd have to have about 200 calories a day.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options

It's episodic TV, so it matches up close to one week per week. Even if it doesn't match up exactly, they have people who have lost over 200 pounds in one season. They need to cast and the "trainers" and so forth don't work year round. All in all, it COULDN'T be more that 2 weeks per week, and I'm willing to bet it's pretty close to 1:1. 200 pounds is a lot to lose in 4-6 months even, and way too much in the 16 weeks of the season.

I don't watch it either, because the idea of competing in, and humiliating people into, weight loss makes me faintly queazy. I don't believe these people make real changes, that takes longer than a few weeks, and I don't believe it's healthier to get thin using these extreme methods than to stay fat. I just don't see the show as promoting HEALTH. It promotes thinness--and thinness at all costs. There's too much of that already.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are people who lose weight quickly.

In my first week of dieting (I was dieting), I lost 9 pounds which is actually slower than many folks who follow a low calorie diet. As a very obese male, it was easy to lose weight.

My stats:
    http://cbeinfo.net/weight.htm

I you look at the table in the center of that web page, you'll see that I lost weight in "cycles". During a "loss phase", I was losing weight at a very high rate but during a "recovery phase" I lost almost nothing. Overall, I lost 83.3 pounds in the 107 days when I lost weight, for an average of 0.78 pounds per day.

Even after losing very little weight for a few months (July 2011 through Jan 2012), I was able to lose 3.8 pounds a week simply by cutting my calories. I decided to drop more weight (each 1 pound costs a runner 2 seconds per mile) so I went from 194.0 on 12/31/2011 to 186.4 on 1/14/2012.

But for the people on Biggest Loser to lose 200 pounds in a season of the show, they'd need to lost MUCH faster than you did. They are still doing national casting calls for the "2013 season", and it will start airing in January 2013. Even if they have a group of people lined up and ready to start go by May or June, they'd still need to lose more than a pound a day. That's seven pounds a week. Your average was less than four. The show promotes an unhealthy weight loss.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Between November and December last year, I lost about 3kg (7 pounds) in 3 weeks, which is rapid for someone whose BMI was about 20 to begin with. However I ended up putting it all back on in a very small amount of time, because after logging my cals in MFP, I saw that I had been unintentionally dramatically under eating, which would explain why I would get so famished after 2 weeks, and end up breaking the diet.

If you lose it slowly, it's definitely more likely to stay off in the long run!