Too much protein

Options
I always have a prob w/ eating to much protein. I hardly ever go over my calorie intake. I am a big fan of fish and eat alot of it. My ? to all you pros out there, is eating to much protein dangerous for me?

Replies

• tami1024
    tami1024 Posts: 26
    Options
    I always have a prob w/ eating to much protein. I hardly ever go over my calorie intake. I am a big fan of fish and eat alot of it. My ? to all you pros out there, is eating to much protein dangerous for me?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    how much protein is too much? You talking 20 grams a day?

MFP goes pretty lite on the protein, you'd have to go pretty high for a long time before it starts impacting your organs, other then that, its just fuel and building material.
  • tami1024
    tami1024 Posts: 26
    Options
    I am usually over between 20-40g a day. According MFP I should only consume 45g per day.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    If you are healthy, exercising regularly, and active (but not bodybuilding) ... "too much" protein would be in the range of 1g per pound. And you probably aren't anywhere near close to eating that much.
  • prayerfulmom
    Options
    is eating to much protein dangerous for me?

First let me answer your question. Is eating too much protein dangerous? Yes it can be. I was following a high protein diet from a sports nutritionist and it cause kidney damage.

How much is too much? You'll see many opinions regarding protein. In general they suggest .7 to 1 gram per Kilogram of weight. You can google conversions formulas.

I am on a low protein diet and it falls pretty close to MFP guidlines (before adding back in workout calories).

Hope that didn't cause more confusion.