Who statrted at 1200 but raised their goal?

Options

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200 and raised it to 1350, but I still usually eat around 1100 a day. :)

So you really didn't raise them. Ok.
  • Canadien
    Canadien Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200 and raised it to 1350, but I still usually eat around 1100 a day. :)

Then why did you raise it?

Because I always felt guilty whenever the amount of calories remaining was less than 100, lol. I don't know why. I just felt better knowing MFP "allowed" me to have more than 100 calories left, in case I got hungry. :P

In that case, you should probably set it to 1600-1800 :)

Haha I would but I have it set to 0.5lb loss a week. 1350 is the number it gave me! Oh well, it works for me, and that's what matters. I feel satisfied all day and I eat more if I need to. :)
  • Canadien
    Canadien Posts: 122 Member
    Options

I raised them on MFP. I thought that was the question lol.
  • FULTZ10
    FULTZ10 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Okay this may be weird but I have no problem getting around 1200 calories and about 1/2 of the times I am under my goal. I am almost never hungry. I have been doing this for about 1 month and have lost 5.6 pounds. Should i raise my calorie intake?
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

I raised them on MFP. I thought that was the question lol.
    I think the point was missed by you.
  • heresmyinsidevoice
    heresmyinsidevoice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Just recently raised my goal to 1420 - I'll see how it goes. I was just feeling too drained on only 1200 since my activity level has gone up significantly since starting weight training.
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I started at 1290 by MFP standards. Changed to 2200 a day every day, but I don't add extra for exercise even though I do it (log it as 1 calorie) - still losing.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options

Then why did you raise it?

Because I always felt guilty whenever the amount of calories remaining was less than 100, lol. I don't know why. I just felt better knowing MFP "allowed" me to have more than 100 calories left, in case I got hungry. :P

Your profile says you're trying to gain muscle. That's practically impossible at a caloric deficit - especially one as high as you're running even if you ate 1,350 calories.

That number is a target, by the way, and not a limit. MFP intends for you to eat every one of those calories.
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200 and felt like CRAP! I did lose though, and quick. Now I'm set to maintenance which is 1570 net. I basically just eat whatever I feel like eating. Some days are 1200 cals, some are 2200 cals and I'm still getting great results. I'll have to check out a different TDEE calculator. Sounds interesting!
  • pigwidgeon82
    pigwidgeon82 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Okay this may be weird but I have no problem getting around 1200 calories and about 1/2 of the times I am under my goal. I am almost never hungry. I have been doing this for about 1 month and have lost 5.6 pounds. Should i raise my calorie intake?

yes, i would raise them. raise to at least 1400. my dr told me never to go below 1400. in the long run you will be doing more bad than good.
  • Stephisonaroll
    Options
    I am so glad I found this post! I started at 1200 and it seems like once I reached 20lbs lost I've really slowed down. Not to mention I was almost always hungry but felt too guilty to eat past my goal...I just switched to 1.5lbs a week and that upped my calories to 1310. That should allow me to eat another small meal or large snack to fill in my hungry time of day..I really hope this helps me continue to lose like I was. I only have about 21lbs to go till I reach my goal and I really REALLY want to reach it!
  • snaggly
    snaggly Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Bump..i am thinking of upping mine too, but I want to research more.
  • amykathleen2005
    amykathleen2005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I was just considering doing this for myself. Am currently about 1,300 and lost alot for about 30 days without ever feeling hungry. Then all of a sudden I felt starving on that amount! I think I may bump up my calories. I am 5'4", 167lbs and lead a relatively sedentary lifestyle. I am trying to get down to 145lbs. Any suggestions what I should put my caloric intake as?
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I just recently upped my calories to 1377 (my current BMR) and am making a stronger effort to eat more of my exercise calories. The only reason why I'm not saying to eat all my exercise calories is because I don't have an HRM and don't trust the numbers MFP gives me.

My weight loss has slowed to a crawl so I need to do something different. I did go down a pant size with only a 1# weight loss so I know my exercise plan is working and that's more important than the weight, to be honest. So, really, I'm raising my calories because I have lately been way too exhausted to keep up with my exercise plan. And I love the exercising I'm doing. Gaining strength and endurance is, to me, more important than what the scale says. So I just really need to eat more to better fuel my body.

Anyway, this week I was forced to take off several days from exercising as I just had no oomph. So I'm hoping that several days of eating higher and re-focusing on the nutrition of the foods I eat will help me get my oomph back. I miss sweating!

To those who say they aren't hungry so don't need to eat more....well, I'm not either. It's not a hunger thing for me. It's just that I have to admit that my current fitness plans need more fuel. I don't want to lose any fitness because I'm too tired to keep working out.
  • souperficial
    souperficial Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1200 for about 7 months and had just stopped losing, so I upped it to 1350. My weight loss is still super slow, though, and I'm having trouble actually eating that much, especially since I'm trying to eat back my exercise calories.
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200 & lost steadily. I upped it to 1360 during the summer & still lost, but fell off my good eating habits and started yo-yoing. I upped it to 1600 around the begining of the year & still seem to be yo-yoing between 150 & 160. Can't seem to find my magic #.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I raised my cals from 1220 to 1600 and did gain like 3 lbs in a couple weeks but after that I lost that weight despite eating a lot of cheat days. I feel a lot healthier now and my metabolism seems to be fast - I kind of like to see if I can make myself gain weight on my cheat days by eating the worst possible foods but the scale only goes up for a day or two.
  • craziedazie
    craziedazie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and 163. MFP set my cals at 1200. I just started last week and I knew after a couple of days that 1200 was not going to work for me. I was hungry all the time and not bored hungry, real hungry. Yesterday I changed it to 1300, and I actually ended up eating under 1200 yesterday. Today, however, I have already surpassed 1400. My activity level was also much higher last night and today. I know all to well what happens if I don't eat when I am hungry - I end up reaching the pig out breaking point. :noway:
  • chaoticxinsane
    Options
    At 1200, I felt like I was going to pass out when I was at work. It didn't help that I wasn't accounting for being on my feet for 6-8 hours, 4 days a week. I had myself set at sedentary thinking working 'didn't count' and just 'made up' for how much of a couch potato I am normally. Several pedometers all telling me I average 4-6 miles walked in my 6.5 hour typical shift later...

I bumped it to 1400 for now, some days higher, some days lower. I figure if MFP says that 1200 is 2 lbs a week, and 1600 is one pound a week, ballparking at an average of 1400 is probably my best bet. I eat less on days I don't work, I let myself eat more on days I do.

Between 4 calculators it says:
    my BMR is about 1600 (one site gave me 1400, 3 gave me a little over 1600?)
    my TDEE is about 2200ish from the looks of things.