Truvia and weight gain

Options
I have always been drinking black coffee. Yesterday I decided to drink hot tea sweetened with Truvia. I drank 3 cups using 1 packet in each cup. I have never had a weight gain since starting MFP Jan. 6th. I did not do anything different yesterday than before. I am alotted 1790 calories. I ate 1317 and rode my bike 5 miles reducing by 233 calories. My total net calories yesterday was 1084 and I gained .8 of a pound. Anyone else experenced anything like this?

Replies

• StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I use Truvia regularly but not daily and have not noticed this connection. Maybe I should start looking at it though. wonder if Truvia causes the body to retain some water?
  • SteveCro
    SteveCro Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    thanks for your input. Didn't get much response so must of been a fluke. Good luck with your goals!
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have used Truvia for the last year and have found the opposite to be true. With that said, my body reacts unfavorably to it (ummm, bathroom issues) within a half hour of using it so it makes sense that I wouldn't see a gain strictly because of my use of it. You'd think I'd stop using it because of this issue but it's really the only sugar alternative that I really like the taste of. The things we do for the things we love!
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I use regular Stevia all the time, and I've never noticed anything like that. But, I don't weigh that often anymore either.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Truvia is stevia mixed with xylitol, a sugar alcohol, to make it look more like real sugar. Xylitol could react poorly with your system causing this small gain. I would try a different brand. Look at the ingredients. Should just be stevia leaf. Mine is stevia and fiber mixed, sweetleaf brand. Haven't looked at stevia in the raw, but it might be a better option too.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I doubt it's Truvia. I bet you are experiencing water retention.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I am sorry, but there is not enough information to really make ANY correlation (much less causation) between the two events.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Truvia won't do that. More than likely it's simple water gain. Unfortunately, that can happen to just about anyone, especially women.
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't blame the truvia. It could be just normal body fluctuations. My weight fluctuates by as much as three pounds a day.
  • grneyecowgirl
    Options
    I personally dont weigh myself daily for one. I can weigh 5 lbs less after a days work easy then I did that morning. It caqn be a number of things our body changes all the time. I personally drink more water when I use truvia it makes me thirsty but I dont worry about weight so much as how my cloths fit and weigh myself once a week as well.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Truvia has 0 calories, I doubt it made you gain weight. Your weight fluctuates regularly.