Nutrisystem?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lmkurtz725
    Options
    I've been doing NS for almost two years. I lost about 60 pounds, but gained back 10 after knee surgery. Their maintenance plan is a mystery...in other words, there really isn't one. Once you reach goal they say there are other plans (dinner on your own, weekends off) that are for maintaining, but I'm not sure those programs really "teach" you anything. I'm trying to get off their food (I only order about every other month now) do it more on my own so that I can really learn how to maintain eating in the "real world". Of course I have to lose this 10 pounds before I really figure out how to maintain. Once I can work out at the level I was before surgery, I think this will be easier.
    The food is now awful...you'll find some you like and others that you don't...I add in lots of vegetables to "bulk" the food up. Frankly after this long I'm getting really tired of the food....bored mostly. They don't introduce new food that often and recently they discontinued lots of food and did not add that many items back in (except for some mostly frozen items that are more money). They have also introduced shakes into the plan....raised the price for the shakes and they are NOT optional...really kind of ticked me off. I'm ok with a shake once in a while, but not a mandatory part of the program.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I hate the concept of it. How is this teaching you how to eat in the real world? Like the first poster said, you're not going to order those meals forever. Life happens, and you have to learn how to make smart choices and enjoy them, not follow a prepackaged routine. The only good thing I can see coming from it is developing a taste for healthy foods and a potential habit in portion control.
  • paisley2288
    paisley2288 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Their food is nasty and full of sodium
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I tried Nutrisystem a while back....NASTY food that is pretty high in sodium. It is REALLY expensive. You should make your own meals, learn to cook for yourself, prepare stuff ahead of time so its quick and easy....

DITTO!
  • Jaxster92708
    Jaxster92708 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yep, I did NS too a while back and got really bored with the meals. Some of the meals were good, especially breakfasts and some lunches, but most of the dinners and snacks were less than appetizing. For a while, I ordered just breakfast foods because some were very tasty and filling.

They publish their nutritional information on their website (or at least they used to). If you browse the site and go to the "a la carte" ordering, you used to be able to click on each item and see the nutrition label. So, what some have done is model their calorie intake and macronutrient breakdown based on the NS item and find similar (and lower priced) foods at the grocery store. Mostly look for foods high in fiber and low in sugar.

I was very successful on NS, but, like I said, got bored and couldn't afford it after a while.

Good luck!
    Jackie